Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Same as Andy and Taxy here. All the bills in order, facing the same way, right side up. That's the way the cashiers have to put it in their cash drawers, so I figure it's only considerate to them and anyone who might be waiting behind me. I wouldn't want to hold up a line while they reconfigure the bills before they go in the cash drawer. Coins go on top of the open and unfolded bills.

I don't use cash very often, though. Almost always credit or debit. :)

Last edited:
Same as Andy and Taxy here. All the bills in order, facing the same way, right side up. That's the way the cashiers have to put it in their cash drawers, so I figure it's only considerate to them and anyone who might be waiting behind me. I wouldn't want to hold up a line while they reconfigure the bills before they go in the cash drawer. Coins go on top of the open and unfolded bills.

I don't use cash very often, though. Almost always credit or debit. :)

Same here. I also usually use the CC. I'll also jam the change into my pocket so as not to hold up the line, then take it out later, smooth it out, and put it in my wallet according to denomination.

DH uses a wide rubber band as a "wallet". His bills are folded twice and rubber banded to his license and CCs.

I've seen kids hand over quarter sized bills to a cashier.Boggled my mind as to why are you hiding something or just trying to be being cool messing around with the cashiers time? Chalked it up to after watching his behavior with his buddies.Must be a street cred thing.:rolleyes: Jerkdom!:LOL:

My kids have stopped shoving money into their pockets.
They found out if I find it doing laundry.I keep it.
They hate those txts "Thanks for the $20.00"

How about when the checker hands you back your change? In what order do you like it?

I'd LIKE it ready to go into my wallet but that doesn't happen. I don't expect a lot when I get bills back from a cashier. They are often turned every which way but are usually in denomination order.

How about when the checker hands you back your change? In what order do you like it?

Very rarely does your receipt come out even with two zeros. It is usually $37.34. Somewhere around that. So out of two 20 dollar bills she is going to give me back $2.66. Start with the four pennies and then the two dimes and next the two one dollar bills, or one two dollar bill. I can see the amount of change in the cash register window, so she should be counting it back to be so it totals what the register is showing what my change should be.

BTW, how come there are very few male cash register workers. They are always female. It is the males that are the baggers. I wonder if it is because they pay females less than a male in the same job? And cash register does pay more than a bagger. :angel:

I do exactly the same as Andy as described.

I also don't like cashiers giving back cash change and the receipt together. I realize it saves them time to do this in one motion and the most practical way to hand out change and receipt. I don't think there's any other way. I remember back when cashiers used to ask if you wanted the receipt thrown in the bag...

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Very rarely does your receipt come out even with two zeros. It is usually $37.34. Somewhere around that. So out of two 20 dollar bills she is going to give me back $2.66. Start with the four pennies and then the two dimes and next the two one dollar bills, or one two dollar bill. I can see the amount of change in the cash register window, so she should be counting it back to be so it totals what the register is showing what my change should be.

BTW, how come there are very few male cash register workers. They are always female. It is the males that are the baggers. I wonder if it is because they pay females less than a male in the same job? And cash register does pay more than a bagger. :angel:
Huh? I see both in every capacity in every retail store I walk into, even in this small town. Males are not just baggers.

Huh? I see both in every capacity in every retail store I walk into, even in this small town. Males are not just baggers.

Not in this area. And the baggers are usually elderly men who are supplementing their retirement. Or sometimes they are elderly women. :angel:

Not in this area. And the baggers are usually elderly men who are supplementing their retirement. Or sometimes they are elderly women. :angel:

We have both male and female cashiers and baggers here.

In our Market Basket, I see mostly women but some men (including handicapped ones) as cashiers. Most baggers are men. Some seniors and some teens. SO always wants to get into the register line that has her favorite bagger. Then she tells him what to do anyway. :wacko::wacko:

In my MB, the old men bag, teen boys collect the carts in the parking lot, and the cashiers are all girls. If it real slow at your register, the girls are expected to go to a line that is long and help bagging there. When males are bagging they are expected to cover two registers that are next to each other. You may not think so, but they do have a system. And it works. :angel:

Like Andy, I like my money all nice and neat. I used to have a wallet with a high-low section for the bills. I would put my "working money" in the upper section so it was easier to access, then the $20s would go into the lower level. Kinda like a restaurant having you sit at the bar while you wait for your table to be readied. :LOL: Now that I have just one section, I fold each $20 in half and tuck the cut edges into the side seam. That way if I need another $20 it's easy to grab. Pretty much, though, we just charge every danged thing over $10 and then pay off the entire bill each money. You need to have good money management skills to trust yourself, though. We're good - I'm a tightwad. ;)

Coins first, then the paper. It seems like whenever a cashier puts the coin on top of the paper we both end up picking coins up from everywhere!

Whether I'm shopping the little grocery up the corner or Market Basket, the age or gender of either bagger or cashier is a mixed bag. At MB, usually see the older front-end workers if it's early in the day - school hour times. But once school is out either for the day or for the summer, it's usually the younger set.

I don't care if I get old or young, male or female as a cashier, but I do prefer teen girls or elder gents to pack my goods. They tend to NOT put the ice cream under the boxes of tissues. :wacko:

Whether I'm shopping the little grocery up the corner or Market Basket, the age or gender of either bagger or cashier is a mixed bag. At MB, usually see the older front-end workers if it's early in the day - school hour times. But once school is out either for the day or for the summer, it's usually the younger set.

I don't care if I get old or young, male or female as a cashier, but I do prefer teen girls or elder gents to pack my goods. They tend to NOT put the ice cream under the boxes of tissues. :wacko:
It's the pointy corner of a milk carton in my bananas that I hate or soft things under the cans. Why are my tomatoes squished? :rolleyes:

We went to supper at a mid-range resto. The waiters wore white shirts and ties. So did the bus boys. We dressed a little nice. Why do most people go somewhere nice and wear shorts and a t-shirt when it isn't even hot? Almost no one was dressed "nicely". I really wish people would dress up a little. It wouldn't bug me if some of the customers dressed that casually, but almost all of them?

Back
Top Bottom