Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, we have one evil neighbor, but this is definitely non-human.

The neighbor that took care of the plants while we were gone said he watered the veggies, came back the next day, and the beans were gone!

Addie, after asking if they have a spoon around that they don't recognize I intend to ask if I can look in the downstairs kitchen to see if it's there. Upstairs they have their things they use on a day-to-day basis and would know right away if there was an odd piece there. Downstairs is a lot of "extras." Odds and ends. Normally they do their cooking upstairs and my step-son uses the downstairs kitchen for canning. For entertaining they use the downstairs because it has a big table and also connects right to the family room with the bar and people are able to spread out more.

The spoon is not a good piece, but something I use often because of it's smaller size.

Dogluver, I have heard that scattering some moth balls through the garden will keep critters away from it. Never tried it myself. One time I put some under the deck so no critters would make a home under there and DH complained that every time he sat out he smelled mothballs. LOL

Dogluver, I have heard that scattering some moth balls through the garden will keep critters away from it. Never tried it myself. One time I put some under the deck so no critters would make a home under there and DH complained that every time he sat out he smelled mothballs. LOL
A friend of mine tried mothballs for squirrels. He saw them playing with them. Another friend had been having issues with squirrels and finally found something that works: Deer Repellent | Plant Protection | Plantskydd Repellents USA It's made of blood and some other stuff, so it even fertilizes the plants.http://www.plantskydd.com/prodfaq.html

Why does that mean the nasty neighbor didn't do it?

He'd have to pick off every single leaf, eat or discard them, and leave toothmarks on the tops of the bare stems. The tomato plants remained intact.

The baby bunnies are so cute, and we have a bumper crop of them this year. The coyotes have not been doing their job.

Over the years I've tried many things to hold off the critter destruction. We live in a heavily wooded area, and there's a steady supply of critters, so now I just let nature take its course and replant when I need to.

Last edited:
This isn't really a vent.More of a I said I would to help someone.Now I'm thinking it's not a good idea.

My neighbor had a medical emergency the other day.Her daughter laid in on my door bell to get some help.She told me her Mom was having a stroke, had collapsed twice was out unconscious for 30 seconds.She didn't call for help.When I asked her if she did she told me no.Then she called handed me the phone for me to talk to the people.She was just flipping out running around in a frantic rant all over the yard.I had to tell her to STOP! Take a deep breath, hold it, let it out slowly and calm down! This while I'm trying to talk to her mom who was laying out it the driveway.Every time I got her calm she ranked back up again.I wasn't about to move her mom.She could have had possible broken ribs hip arm head injuries that I could tell by just looking at her.

Anyways she left in an ambulance.Was home by that night.Unbelievable huh? It happened to my surprise.

Now he daughter has been calling me all the time.She's asked me to sit with her mom while she's out doing errands.Who knows how long that's going to take.

With them it's starts out as a small favor that I usually wouldn't mind doing.The problem is they in turn start expecting it as a daily, weekly thing.

Would it be rude if I just gave her my cell # to check on her.If she doesn't reply.I'll knock on her door.No answer I call for help?

I think that would be reasonable, Munky. You can tell her truthfully that you have things to do but arrange for the mother to call or text you every half hour or hour to let you know she's okay. If you don't hear from her, then go check on her.

You could also suggest that they look into senior services in your area.

I think that would be reasonable, Munky. You can tell her truthfully that you have things to do but arrange for the mother to call or text you every half hour or hour to let you know she's okay. If you don't hear from her, then go check on her.

I agree.

Thank you,
Whew, was thinking I'd be a terrible person asking to check on her that way instead of physically being there.

My husband locked up their house.He took a look inside and told me they've become whole hog hoarders.They've got a lot more going on there then it appears.

If I went over and sat with her she would have had me cleaning up that place.I'm not about to go through the trails that they have to get something done.Probably make her something to eat as well.

I'm nice, but I'm also not a piece of linoleum.

Thank you,
Whew, was thinking I'd be a terrible person asking to check on her that way instead of physically being there.

My husband locked up their house.He took a look inside and told me they've become whole hog hoarders.They've got a lot more going on there then it appears.

If I went over and sat with her she would have had me cleaning up that place.I'm not about to go through the trails that they have to get something done.Probably make her something to eat as well.

I'm nice, but I'm also not a piece of linoleum.

Munky, if they are hoarders of the worst kind, it can be construed by the authorities as elder abuse if the mother who is now considered ill and unable to care for herself, continues to live in those conditions. We have had a couple of cases here in Mass. this past year. Only it involved small children. The children had to be removed from the home and the building condemned. And it just might be in your best interest also. In order to protect your own property from the influx of rats and mice.

Two years ago we did have a hoarder. Her children were called and were told that her mother was being moved to a 24 hr. care facility. The child was fit to be tied. She didn't see what the problem was. Evidently they found some critters because the next thing you know is every apartment in the building was being treated for mice and roaches. Fortunately, I never did see either one in my apartment. :angel:

*Sigh* was hoping all night that I'd be forgotten about.It didn't happen.

Wish I was a Genie.Had my hair long like the one on tv once.Did that thing where she folds her arms nods her head.Not a good idea.Damn near took my eye out.WHAP! my braid smacked my eye!:ohmy::LOL: It hurt, stop laughing.:ROFLMAO:

Her daughter just called.She's not impressed that I told her I'd come over and stay a few minutes then leave.Her mom is to call me every hour.She's not going to be home until late tonight.I'll take some dinner over to her mom.

I gave the truthful excuse that I have a garage to clean and sort today for the local charities to pick up on Tuesday.That I'll be busy organizing a whole lot of things.

Hubby isn't at all impressed.He doesn't like that I did a nice thing and now it's been turned around to the point that I now owe them.

What am I really going to see?Well wish me luck.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom