Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She's not impressed? She should be grateful. It's not your responsibility to take care of her mother, but it's nice of you to help them out.

That was clearly the tone she gave me.Like what do you mean YOU have things to do? WE come first!

Seriously? Next time I might look the other way.

Sadly, no good deed goes unpunished, Munky. Hope that crazy woman starts leaving you alone. Maybe the mother needs one of those Life Alert necklaces.

It's a shame that she is taking advantage of you this way. Don't let her walk all over you. The elderly couple across the street has a son but he must have radar. No sooner does one of the neighbors get finished cutting their grass then he pulls in. The daughter shows up every day with food and supplies.

...Hubby isn't at all impressed.He doesn't like that I did a nice thing and now it's been turned around to the point that I now owe them...
The neighbor's daughter is just like a mosquito: Give her an inch, she'll take your entire foot.
Tell her you've done what you could and that she should look elsewhere for help from now on.
+1

I'm home, but on call.
She's to call me in 1 hour.Her daughter won't be home until late.
I'll go back over again in a while and check on her.

I can't put into words exactly what I saw right now.Thinking of my own work that had to slip today.

I did make them a nice chicken dinner with Andy's Mom's rice pilaf and some mixed veggies.She hadn't eaten lunch yet.I made her a plate.She ate everything but some of her veggies.

Thank you Andy for the recipe.She truly enjoyed it.

Yeah she did want me to start cleaning.Even wanted my sons to come over and get things organized.I told her no.Both ways.I fixed her plate and sat and talked.No more no less.

the place is bad. I really feel the need for a shower.

Sites that lead you to believe you can add a social commentary remark to a news story. If not having actually registered for that particular site and you want to leave a comment, you're giving the convenience of logging in using your Google, Facebook, etc. accounts. Fine.

You go and click on one of those to allow you to post a comment. Then you're taken thru a mire of passwords and logins that end up not being that convenient at all...logging in using your well established Facebook, Yahoo, Google accounts. It's not that convenient..at all and ends up in fail.

So much for sites saying..."not registered with us? No problem...link and log in and comment with one of these huge major social network icons ". It's just a matter of a click or two.
Fail.

Last edited:
Munky, The woman must get one of those calling bracelets , they advertise on TV all the time. My mom finally got one. Took a bit of convincing, but if something happens, push the button and emergency crew comes with in minutes. I think that what needs to be suggest to your neighbor. You are not her assistant, if something happens, G-d forbid, they will blame you. You need to tell that to the daughter.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Munky, The woman must get one of those calling bracelets , they advertise on TV all the time. My mom finally got one. Took a bit of convincing, but if something happens, push the button and emergency crew comes with in minutes. I think that what needs to be suggest to your neighbor. You are not her assistant, if something happens, G-d forbid, they will blame you. You need to tell that to the daughter.

Charlie is right Munky. You don't want to end up being her ICE (In Case of Emergency) number. You don't want that responsibility. You will have the hospital calling you for permission to move her or for you to come and take her home. Etc. Step away while you can. They have already started fulfilling your fears. :angel:

My mother has one of those bracelets.She hated it at first.The more she tried to take it off the worse her attitude got, she was very violent unit she got used to the idea that it can't be removed.She also has a 24 hr nurse and a security system that won't let her stray at all.She's also had her picture taken that's on file for as they say "Silver Protection" Elderly patients with Dementia.

As far as my neighbor,you know my sons told me yesterday the exact same thing you did.I would be blamed if anything should happen.She's a liability that I don't want or need.

Yesterday was the first time in 18 years that I've been invited into their home.Now as I'm typing her daughter is txting me like mad over stupid things. I'm playing the Monkey today.See nothing,say nothing,do nothing.
LOL!!!

Self protection I think.:huh:

My mother has one of those bracelets.She hated it at first.The more she tried to take it off the worse her attitude got, she was very violent unit she got used to the idea that it can't be removed.She also has a 24 hr nurse and a security system that won't let her stray at all.She's also had her picture taken that's on file for as they say "Silver Protection" Elderly patients with Dementia.

As far as my neighbor,you know my sons told me yesterday the exact same thing you did.I would be blamed if anything should happen.She's a liability that I don't want or need.

Yesterday was the first time in 18 years that I've been invited into their home.Now as I'm typing her daughter is txting me like mad over stupid things. I'm playing the Monkey today.See nothing,say nothing,do nothing.
LOL!!!

Self protection I think.:huh:

Absolutely. Me thinks the daughter is tired of caring for her mother and looking for a scapegoat. And you have been elected even though you weren't even on the ballot. You may have to have a verbal confrontation with her letting her know that your husband does not approve. Let him in on it. It is easier when you can place the blame elsewhere. Advise her to find elderly services that can meet the mothers needs. Do some homework and have some phone numbers she can call. Then walk away. Don't look back. :angel:

I would love to take meals to the elderly couple across the street occasionally but DH won't let me. Another neighbor does it, and their son called him one day and told him his mother got sick from the food. They have 2 adult children and the daughter is constantly there bringing food, doing laundry, etc, but the son won't do anything. The neighbors cut the grass, etc. I would not want to take the chance on someone getting sick after eating something I made, even if that wasn't the reason they got sick. You could be blamed and held accountable for a lot of things. Suggest getting the Medical Alert system and get yourself out of this situation. Maybe asking to be paid for your services would get you off the hook.

Unfortunately, we have become a sue happy country. The problem with feeding the elderly, is you don't know about their allergies, food sensitivities, food likes/dislikes, are they diabetic, etc. Even favorite ethnic dishes. They may ask you to make a favorite dish and not tell you they can't have that any more. Today we live in a world of peanut butter. You just never know who is allergic to peanuts. :angel:

Petty vent? Maybe I should go to the major vent thread.

My Senior Charlie Card (public transportation card for reduced price) expired last February 2014. I didn't bother to renew it because I also had The Ride. (Vehicle transportation at reduced priced.) At my last evaluation it was determined that I only needed The Ride if there was snow on the ground or it is raining out. Today it is sunny out and our 70 foot high pile of snow from this past winter finally melted this past week.

Now I know I still have some monies on my Charlie Card. I call the number, press 1, press 2, press 3, press this! Then hang up on me. Three times. According to all their recordings, if I wish to renew the card over the phone it can take as many as 6-8 week to process. By then we will have more snow on the ground. Or I can go in town on the T and go to Downtown Crossing that requires a lot of walking for me to change from the Blue Line to the Orange Line. I can get my card right then and there. If I could walk that much I wouldn't need the card. I am going to have to dose myself up with every pain killer I have in the house just to get there. I hope all their elevators or escalators are in working order.

Don't you just love government agencies that encourage your use of the phone services? :angel:

Last edited:
Well that's a bummer Addie. And I'll bet you have to pay full fare to get there.

One of these days I have to get a senior's pass. At least I can drive to the place where I can get it.

Well that's a bummer Addie. And I'll bet you have to pay full fare to get there.

One of these days I have to get a senior's pass. At least I can drive to the place where I can get it.

Actually, I won't, one look at me an the bus driver will allow me to pay in cash $.80 instead of the $2.50 regular fare. I look like a senior. :angel:

Actually, I won't, one look at me an the bus driver will allow me to pay in cash $.80 instead of the $2.50 regular fare. I look like a senior. :angel:
You're lucky it works like that. Here, you have to have the official senior's card. I don't think the machine will accept a reduced fare without that card.

Back
Top Bottom