Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Crooks and thieves and disreputable people. Hate them all.

Got a credit card fraud alert today. Some *%#!!/* jerk somehow managed to get our Discover card number and attempted to make two charges to our account. Discover is GOOD, shut them right down. AND our account, too. :glare: Oddly enough, just last week I mentioned to someone that Discover is so good they know you have a fraudulent purchase on your card even before it happens! Snap! I must have jinxed us.

The one funny take-away from this? The attempted big charge was for over $1500. Payee was "First Progress": "If you are looking for ways to build or rebuild credit, our full-feature Platinum MasterCard® is one of the best solutions available." The crook tried to roll over their balance from this company! Apparently, they haven't really grasped the concept of establishing good credit. :ROFLMAO:

All the hard work cleaning, sorting, boxing everything up just went up in trash!

I'm so tired right now it's not even funny.I put everything out on the curb for the donation truck last night for pick the up this morning. Just checked to see if it was. It wasn't.
What I did see was nothing but shattered glass.Nothing was picked up.

My son had forgotten and ran a few boxes over.He said he was running late for work, and was sorry about that when I called him to ask about it.

Now I have to get out there and sweep and clean it all up or buy a new set of tires.Just great, now I'm really going to get stuck dealing with my neighbors.

If I hear one "We need you to do this for us comment" I'll really lay into them.:glare:

Got the mess cleaned up, reboxed just in time.I had just finished taping on the donation tag the truck pulled up.

Hubby and son are thankful I caught that.Tires for their trucks aren't cheap.
I didn't get caught by my neighbors either.That was close!;)

My grumble is about rude drivers. I was driving home from shopping. The guy behind me was tailgating. I was going at the speed of traffic and keeping my two second following distance. Why tailgate? He wasn't going to get there any faster. We both wanted to turn left, so we got in the left turn lane. I stopped about two car lengths behind the car in front of me. Guy behind pulls up too close; honks; and throws his hands in the air. We make our turn. He saw me turn on my right turn signal, so he started to move into the right lane. I had enough space to make my lane change, so I did, since I had to turn right at the first intersection. He obviously didn't need to turn right, because he promptly swerved into the number one lane (the furthest left lane for your direction). Of course he didn't make a full stop at the stop sign. I think there was steam coming out of his ears. Grrr. It wouldn't have taken him one second longer if he hadn't been rude (and dangerous), in fact, if he hadn't been rude, he would have saved himself two lane changes in one block and maybe saved a second.

I hear you loud and clear Taxi! Little upsets me more than drivers like you just described, it just makes my blood boil. :mad:

On the other hand, deadly road rages happen every day and you never can tell just how out of control the other guy is. :wacko:

I hear you loud and clear Taxi! Little upsets me more than drivers like you just described, it just makes my blood boil. :mad:

On the other hand, deadly road rages happen every day and you never can tell just how out of control the other guy is. :wacko:
I get rid of any incipient road rage by calling them hosers, with the windows shut. I used to say rude things, but I realized they might be able to read my lips. As you wrote, you never know how out of control the other guy is.

DH lets fly with many hand gestures and epithets if another driver is being a jerk. I respond by singing, "I'd like to teach the world to drive, in perfect harmony." It doesn't work.

DH lets fly with many hand gestures and epithets if another driver is being a jerk. I respond by singing, "I'd like to teach the world to drive, in perfect harmony." It doesn't work.

I love that! I'm going to have to remember that one. Hearing me sing will definitely distract DH from his anger :LOL:

God bless my daughter. I have been in the car with her many times when some ignorant driver decides to get a serious case of road rage. Fortunately none of it has ever been towards her. But I have been sitting next to her as she starts to make mental notes. Plate number if she can see it, color of hair of offender, actions taken on both sides, etc. Twice she has had to testify in court.

The only time I have ever gotten nervous was at a rotary. Both drivers got out of their car and my daughter took off in the opposite direction. They were already exchanging some serious blows. :angel:

Yesterday we were traveling in the left lane of a 4 lane highway when we came upon a house fire. The person in the car in front of us decided to make a dead stop to watch the firemen fight the fire. You don't do that on a 4 lane highway. Good thing DH was watching the traffic in front of him instead of gawking at the fire.

Glad to read that your DH was paying attention to traffic. No, you don't stop on the highway for stupid reasons. OTH, I wonder which is worse, stopping for a stupid reason or gawking while driving.

Glad to read that your DH was paying attention to traffic. No, you don't stop on the highway for stupid reasons. OTH, I wonder which is worse, stopping for a stupid reason or gawking while driving.

Like most big cities, we have cameras on our main highways and they show what the traffic is like during rush hour. One station here reports situations like that as the "rubber neck effect." Traffic backed up for miles because of the rubber necks looking at the accident. It doesn't which side of the highway the accident is on. :angel:

Some rare older movies were never released on DVD, just VHS. However, Amazon has older movie titles never released to DVD which you can either rent or download to your pc. I don't want to watch it on my pc, I want to be able to view that purchased title and back it up to DVD to watch on my home entertainment system. Amazon won't allow that.

I don't condone copyright infringement however when you have paid for something as in 'bought', then it should be available for backup to a DVD-R to play on any unit. Rentals don't apply because that would be stealing.

I'm going to buck the system and their rules and find a program to remove the content protection so I can burn it to DVD. Please don't call the FBI on me.

Some rare older movies were never released on DVD, just VHS. However, Amazon has older movie titles never released to DVD which you can either rent or download to your pc. I don't want to watch it on my pc, I want to be able to view that purchased title and back it up to DVD to watch on my home entertainment system. Amazon won't allow that.

I don't condone copyright infringement however when you have paid for something as in 'bought', then it should be available for backup to a DVD-R to play on any unit. Rentals don't apply because that would be stealing.

I'm going to buck the system and their rules and find a program to remove the content protection so I can burn it to DVD. Please don't call the FBI on me.
I'm not a lawyer, so don't rely on my advice. But, as I understand it, you are well within your rights to make backups of copyright stuff that you have purchased. What you aren't allowed to do is sell those DVDs.

I'm not a lawyer, so don't rely on my advice. But, as I understand it, you are well within your rights to make backups of copyright stuff that you have purchased. What you aren't allowed to do is sell those DVDs.

Well, no, this is not correct. Purchases are made subject to the specific rights included in the purchase agreement. It's the same as with written works, which we have discussed before.

I'd rather Amazon charge me whatever money, just let me own it (old titles they have that I want not out on DVD).

But you have me on this account...Terms of Agreement.

I should be in compliance and not petty vent about it.

I've not said I've circumvented the law, yet, but I've gotten to thinking about it.

It was a petty vent that shouldn't be carried too far.

Last edited:
Well, no, this is not correct. Purchases are made subject to the specific rights included in the purchase agreement. It's the same as with written works, which we have discussed before.
I don't remember the discussion of written works.

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripping#United_States and DMCA Backup of Copyrighted Content | LegalZoom: Legal Info, it isn't clear that it is legal or illegal to make a copy as a personal backup in the US. It's illegal to make or distribute software that lets someone circumvent the copy protection.

At least I know for sure that when I make a backup copy of copyrighted material, it is legal here in Canada, as long as I don't violate a digital lock. The bill described in the following article, has been passed into law.

Copyright changes: how they'll affect users of digital content - Canada - CBC News

By discussing it in an open forum such as this, you have already outed yourself to the authorities. They have bots just looking for this kind of thing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom