Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From what I've heard recently, the authorities are no longer getting down on the little guys making copies for personal use, but more on those people doing it on a larger scale and selling them. I could be wrong, though. This was in the US.

From what I've heard recently, the authorities are no longer getting down on the little guys making copies for personal use, but more on those people doing it on a larger scale and selling them. I could be wrong, though. This was in the US.

I agree.
For, example, we regularly watch pirated first run movies on dvd. The Feds are not going to go after the occasional purchaser of these $5 dvd's from the street corner vendor. They go after the big fish operating here in the US who most likely get their supplies of bootlegs copies from China.

Last edited:
If possible, I will search every source and BUY a LEGIT copy of a hard to find movie I am after, one that was never issued on DVD (at least not in the US). I just purchased the 1954 movie "Beau Brummell" from a site in England. It cost me around $30.

One old title that was not put out on DVD is available on Amazon in digital form. You can either rent it for one viewing on your pc (or other device able to download) or view it limitless times on the downloaded machine. You cannot, however, view it on any other device than were it was downloaded to. You cannot back it up to a DVD.

I resent Amazon using the word "Buy" when in all actuality you are more accurately "Leasing" it. Therefore I am looking into how to circumvent these restrictions which, with some doing, can be done.

As for obtaining hard to find titles that were never released on DVD, some have ripped it to a DVD and offer it on file sharing sites like Torrent. However, Torrent isn't what it was years ago. Most file sharing sites have been shut down or contain a virus or make you jump thru many hoops to get it. Often times those "hoops" contain a virus that make you spend hours ridding your PC of it. Add to that that older titles aren't being shared as much today.

eBay has a titles for sale never released on DVD which were ripped to DVD, includes the full poster art (taken from the VHS case) and put in a nice large retail looking DVD case. The item description says that a TCM logo appears every 30 minutes for 10 seconds at the bottom of the screen. I wonder why they're not being busted.

I've stopped going after hard to find titles on Torrent for reasons I stated above, I've decided it's just not worth getting a virus or a long download with inferior quality. I'll just pay for it, if possible. Therefore I've turned to Amazon and am going to use programs that allow me to back up my purchase from them onto a DVD and play it on a regular player. It may be unethical, but that's just tough. Also, I can't be subject to arrest as they cannot detect me doing such. Do I feel guilt? Nope.

Last edited:
Some old movies are legally available free, because the copyright ran out and someone made it available.

True, I forgot about that. One such movie I bought there was made in 1971 and the copywrite ran out in 1995, so I guess those eBay sellers of it are off the hook.

Last edited:
why are smart phones so dumb? Why can't they learn the way I speak? I have accent, they should have a program that teaches the darn phone how I speak, I , not an average perfectly speaking American.

Charlie, Siri needs to practice. She'll eventually understand you, just keep talking to and correcting her.

Last edited:
why are smart phones so dumb? Why can't they learn the way I speak? I have accent, they should have a program that teaches the darn phone how I speak, I , not an average perfectly speaking American.

Charlie write to the phone company and make the suggestion to them to have their phones learn yours and other accents like the Dragon Program does. If they are successful in accomplishing this, you may end up with a small financial pittance from them as a thank you for bring this to their attention. :angel:

I highly doubt about the "thank you". I have posted on Apple board about it. NO comments from the company just yet.

On the other issue. Macy's is having 1 day (really 3) day sale. And they have this awesome electric griddle, I want, i just cannot come up with the justification to spend money.

There goes my restrain, when it comes to appliances I have none. I found the justification and bought it. The existing e was "I want". Now I have to make sure my wife doesn't find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Therefore I've turned to Amazon and am going to use programs that allow me to back up my purchase from them onto a DVD and play it on a regular player. It may be unethical, but that's just tough. Also, I can't be subject to arrest as they cannot detect me doing such. Do I feel guilt? Nope.

Congratulations on your honesty regarding your thievery! :ROFLMAO:

There goes my restrain, when it comes to appliances I have none. I found the justification and bought it. The existing e was "I want". Now I have to make sure my wife doesn't find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Your justification - You want to see what it feels like to be a Christian for just one day and give yourself a Christmas gift. :angel:

Why did he have to pop the button on his shirt. Doesn't he realize the entire closet is in front of the thread?
OK so technically it is just everything that was stored in that closet where we had a water leak. Leak was under the house and had to empty the closet to get to it.
Haven't put the stuff back up yet. Not till we are sure it won't spring another one.

Some rare older movies were never released on DVD, just VHS. However, Amazon has older movie titles never released to DVD which you can either rent or download to your pc. I don't want to watch it on my pc, I want to be able to view that purchased title and back it up to DVD to watch on my home entertainment system. Amazon won't allow that.

I don't condone copyright infringement however when you have paid for something as in 'bought', then it should be available for backup to a DVD-R to play on any unit. Rentals don't apply because that would be stealing.

I'm going to buck the system and their rules and find a program to remove the content protection so I can burn it to DVD. Please don't call the FBI on me.

Look into this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromecast

I don't remember the discussion of written works.]

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/at-what-point-can-you-claim-a-recipe-as-your-own-91948.html

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripping#United_States and DMCA Backup of Copyrighted Content | LegalZoom: Legal Info, it isn't clear that it is legal or illegal to make a copy as a personal backup in the US. It's illegal to make or distribute software that lets someone circumvent the copy protection.

At least I know for sure that when I make a backup copy of copyrighted material, it is legal here in Canada, as long as I don't violate a digital lock. The bill described in the following article, has been passed into law.

Copyright changes: how they'll affect users of digital content - Canada - CBC News

He isn't really talking about backing up something he purchased. He's talking about copying it to another medium so he can play it in a manner for which he does not have permission.

Why did he have to pop the button on his shirt. Doesn't he realize the entire closet is in front of the thread?
OK so technically it is just everything that was stored in that closet where we had a water leak. Leak was under the house and had to empty the closet to get to it.
Haven't put the stuff back up yet. Not till we are sure it won't spring another one.

Is this a riddle?

Your justification - You want to see what it feels like to be a Christian for just one day and give yourself a Christmas gift. :angel:

I hate auto-correct, as if it is not bad enough that I cannot spell or type, auto-correct makes it even worse.

never the less, my excuse of wanting it worked for me. Of course being a sucker that I am. I already told my wife. I'm sure she'll love it.

Oh, and Chanukkah is early this year, so I'm good. ;)

I hate auto-correct, as if it is not bad enough that I cannot spell or type, auto-correct makes it even worse.

never the less, my excuse of wanting it worked for me. Of course being a sucker that I am. I already told my wife. I'm sure she'll love it.

Oh, and Chanukkah is early this year, so I'm good. ;)

So glad to hear that. So save the other excuse for when you might need it. Insert "birthday", "anniversary" "St. Patricks Day", "Graduation Day for your child, for whatever occasion, etc. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom