Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah. He broke the top layer of skin with his canine tooth. It was my own fault. And I am sure a lot of cities and towns require shots to license their pet. :angel:

I have to ask - municipal codes not withstanding - whyever would you report such a minor injury from your own pet? There's no way I'd give them any ammunition to start a file on any pet of mine. He has had his rabies shots, right?

IN the 50+ years that I've had pets I've been scratched several times by cats, bitten once by a cat while trying to pill her, and had a similar scratch form a very elderly poodle-terrier mix who was nearly blind - he simply did not realize I was there. Reported none of them. No issues at the doctor's, either. If I had a doctor who tried to insist on filing a report for such a thing, I'd switch doctors.

I have to ask - municipal codes not withstanding - whyever would you report such a minor injury from your own pet? There's no way I'd give them any ammunition to start a file on any pet of mine. He has had his rabies shots, right?

IN the 50+ years that I've had pets I've been scratched several times by cats, bitten once by a cat while trying to pill her, and had a similar scratch form a very elderly poodle-terrier mix who was nearly blind - he simply did not realize I was there. Reported none of them. No issues at the doctor's, either. If I had a doctor who tried to insist on filing a report for such a thing, I'd switch doctors.

Because I am 77 years old and here it is February 4th, and it is still healing. I am diabetic and a simple little injury turns into a major problem for me.

Secondly, because it is the law. My skin was broken. It was broken with the teeth of the animal. Not from his claws. The incident is now on record. The dog belongs to my son. If the wound should turn into something more than it has, I do not want to leave my child with regrets for having this animal. I want him to know that I did whatever was necessary and required of me. :angel:

It would never even occur to me to report my own dog to the police. Whatever the law is, it has nothing to do with the fact that you have diabetes.

It is work comp. insurance. I got hurt at work. And was getting Phisical therapy. But the insurance claims that they never received the doctor orders and never have approved the treatment. That's why they are denying the payment.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Of pets, I do remember of a time when Azia was as of a puppy and I took away of a toy and she bit of my hand.

It did bleed much but she had of her shots. I hit her very hard of her head and her rear and put her in the crate for of a very long time. She has never done this again.

Perhaps some discipline is necessary, yes?

Love,
~Cat

Because I am 77 years old and here it is February 4th, and it is still healing. I am diabetic and a simple little injury turns into a major problem for me.

Secondly, because it is the law. My skin was broken. It was broken with the teeth of the animal. Not from his claws. The incident is now on record. The dog belongs to my son. If the wound should turn into something more than it has, I do not want to leave my child with regrets for having this animal. I want him to know that I did whatever was necessary and required of me. :angel:

Addie,
You were the one at fault with Teddy. You chose to play with him at your age. Assume the risk. You've allowed your son to bring him to your home many times and this is the first time an incident has happened?

How is your relationship with your son after reporting him and his dog with the authorities? It would be down right chilly with me.

Did you file a an incident report for future purposes to possibly sue your son if it doesn't heal when you want it to. Do you know by filing you just opened up that that gate for future problems for your son?

It would be a cold day in H...! before I'd ever let my dog around you again. As a daughter the only regret I'd have is not getting my parent under control starting with all the early stages of Dimentia tests.

Addie,
You were the one at fault with Teddy. You chose to play with him at your age. Assume the risk. You've allowed your son to bring him to your home many times and this is the first time an incident has happened?

How is your relationship with your son after reporting him and his dog with the authorities? It would be down right chilly with me.

Did you file a an incident report for future purposes to possibly sue your son if it doesn't heal when you want it to. Do you know by filing you just opened up that that gate for future problems for your son?

It would be a cold day in H...! before I'd ever let my dog around you again. As a daughter the only regret I'd have is not getting my parent under control starting with all the early stages of Dimentia tests.

I did what was right. And I would do the same thing again. Spike was all for it. The only thing that happened with the report was it became a statistic for the number of incidents in the city with dogs. There was no need for a follow up with the police or the animal officer. I made it clear that I was following the law and just reporting it. I have no intentions of suing my son. And he knows it. He still brings Teddy here every night. And he will continue to do so. I still play with him. In fact when he comes through the door he runs to me right away and then up on my bed so I can give him his scratchies. Teddy knows if I have slacks on, he can put his front legs on my thighs. If I don't he pulls on my skirt so I can tell him "up". Which means up on the bed. We have a routine and I broke the rules the day he bit me. And he let me know it. :angel:

Addie,

It would be a cold day in H...! before I'd ever let my dog around you again. As a daughter the only regret I'd have is not getting my parent under control starting with all the early stages of Dementia tests.

Not just the dog - it would be a cold day in H... before I'd come around again. What a mean thing to do!

Wait, am I missing something or are you attacking Addie? Thing is if you go to doctor and it is dog bite, you either have to present the dog or get rabies shots and those are not pleasant to put it mildly. I am sure it was easier to bring all the dog paperwork from doctor rather than get those shots.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait, am I missing something or are you attacking Addie? Thing is if you go to doctor and it is dog bite, you either have to present the dog or get rabies shots and those are not pleasant to put it mildly. I am sure it was easier to bring all the dog paperwork from doctor rather than get those shots.

The doctor doesn’t need anything from the police. They get information about the dog from the veterinarian.

Love ya and all Charlie, but I don't think anyone is 'attacking' Addie. She brought it up on her own and in my very humble opinion, reporting a slight bite from a family pet to the authorities (who govern too much of our lives anyway), is a little over the top. :ermm:

Last edited:
I did what was right. And I would do the same thing again. Spike was all for it. The only thing that happened with the report was it became a statistic for the number of incidents in the city with dogs. There was no need for a follow up with the police or the animal officer. I made it clear that I was following the law and just reporting it.

This sense of what's right seemed to be missing when you were selling your Internet access to your neighbor.

Whatever you think you're "making clear," once you report something to the police, you have no control over what happens next. I don't understand what you think you were accomplishing by doing this.

I think it's a bit much to report a small bite to the police too. She did say Spike was "all for it". But, we don't know all the details. Addie is on medicare. I think that is why she mentioned the diabetes. I don't know, but is it possible there could be repercussions with medicare if she doesn't report an injury immediately? Especially if it doesn't heal properly and needs to be taken care of later?

I think it's a bit much to report a small bite to the police too. She did say Spike was "all for it". But, we don't know all the details. Addie is on medicare. I think that is why she mentioned the diabetes. I don't know, but is it possible there could be repercussions with medicare if she doesn't report an injury immediately? Especially if it doesn't heal properly and needs to be taken care of later?

There is no way I could hide a huge scab on the side of my leg. When I went to Winthrop a couple of days later, they immediately saw it. If I hadn't taken the info to the police, they would have. Then, it would have been blown way out of proportion. If I hadn't reported it, the police would have been called and they would have come to Winthrop immediately. I would have been questioned. Why didn't I report the bite? Was I trying to protect the owner? Why didn't I seek medical care immediately? And on and on. I did exactly what the law required me to. And TL is right. Being on Medicare and Medicaid, (MassHealth) if the bite had not been reported, they could have refused to pay for any care if it got infected. Then I would have had a bill to pay that I can ill afford.

I did what the law required of me. In doing so I protected myself in the event of complications. Teddy is taken for long walks three times a day by Spike. That dog will turn his nose up at the best steak in town to pick up a dead pigeon in the street, before he can be stopped. He drinks out of muddy puddles. He does what dogs do because he is a dog! I would hardly call his mouth and teeth healthy and clean. He gave me a small bite to get my attention because I turned my back on him and wouldn't play. That is what he does. I failed to say "Stop!" It lets him know play time is over. The information will go into a compilation of numbers of how many incidents involving dogs in the city there were for the year. The paper work will go down into the archives in the basement of City Hall. I doubt if the police officer or animal control officer even remembers my name or that of Teddy's.

I doubt the government is really interested in controlling my life. The week Teddy bit me, there were three murders in this part of Boston due to gang activity. And we are supposed to have one of the safest neighborhoods in the city. The government doesn't even remember my name or that of Teddy.

Thank you TL. :angel:

You are making this up left and right. The police have nothing to do with compiling dog bite records.

No one is suggesting that you hide the bite from medical personnel. But Massachusetts law, like most (if not all) other states, requires health care providers to report dog bites to the local health department, which reports them to the state department of health. The local department will decide whether an investigation regarding rabies is needed.

https://www.animallaw.info/statute/ma-dog-consolidated-dog-laws

Medicare will not refuse to pay for health care needed in relation to a dog bite; however, they may seek reimbursement from the owner of the dog, or from the victim if there is a financial settlement with the owner. Since I'm on Medicare due to disability and I have a dog, I checked this out to be sure.

Last edited:
You are making this up left and right. The police have nothing to do with compiling dog bite records.

No one is suggesting that you hide the bite from medical personnel. But Massachusetts law, like most (if not all) other states, requires health care providers to report dog bites to the local health department, which reports them to the state department of health. The local department will decide whether an investigation regarding rabies is needed.

https://www.animallaw.info/statute/ma-dog-consolidated-dog-laws

Medicare will not refuse to pay for health care needed in relation to a dog bite; however, they may seek reimbursement from the owner of the dog, or from the victim if there is a financial settlement with the owner. Since I'm on Medicare due to disability and I have a dog, I checked this out to be sure.

In this city the police take the reports. they enter them into the system. My Medicare is paid for by MassHealth. And they DO go after payments they feel due. Even after death. When my sister died and her house was sold, they expected to be reimbursed for all of her medical expenses they had paid from the proceeds of selling the house. Unfortunately for the Commonwealth, the bank had first priority on the profit. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom