Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mouses...in my cupboards...I found an entire 1 pound bag of Celtic Sea Salt spread all over the bottom shelf. I got a couple of the sonic pest chasers for the kitchen, now I have tinnitus. They say you can't hear them, but my tinnitus goes away when I unplug them. The cats are okay with it, so far, and they are staying off the counters.

Mouses...in my cupboards...I found an entire 1 pound bag of Celtic Sea Salt spread all over the bottom shelf. I got a couple of the sonic pest chasers for the kitchen, now I have tinnitus. They say you can't hear them, but my tinnitus goes away when I unplug them. The cats are okay with it, so far, and they are staying off the counters.

Cats are ok with it! :ohmy:

It's time to have the talk with those cats!! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

a.baa-cat-catches-mice.jpg

Aw, CG, I'm sorry. It sucks losing a favorite tool. Makes you feel kind of lost in the kitchen.
--------------
PF, sorry about your kitchen woes, too. Mice! With cats in the house! One of ours is pretty lazy, but the other is a good hunter. Got one of those dastardly squirrels last year. Mice I don't think we'd have to worry about.

That reminds me.....State Farm (my insurance co) still owes me the $250 deductible I had to pay out of my own pocket after my wife's vehicle was side swiped back in Dec of 2014. The other party admitted fault and their insurance were supposed to reimburse State Farm for the total repair bill. When I made my first inquiry to SF about my refund they told me that they had trouble collecting from the other party.....that was about 3 months ago...
I think I'll call again during the week.

Hate State Farm. Every house around me, and I mean all around every house, had roof replaced. We are on a small lot. Me, not so fast. I got only half of the roof due to heil damage.

The mice are in the cupboards where the cats can't get to, the cats also are not allowed on the counters...

The mice are in the cupboards where the cats can't get to, the cats also are not allowed on the counters...

The upper cupboards? Hmmm. Sounds like you need to find out how they're getting in. There may be a teeny hole under the eaves or something like that. I understand mice can squeeze through some pretty small spaces.

The cupboard in question is on the wall where the plumbing comes into the house, I don't keep any food in the bottom cupboards. Have not found any carcasses, so they are not out in the living area, Django would have got them. He is great for hunting flies.

The cupboard in question is on the wall where the plumbing comes into the house, I don't keep any food in the bottom cupboards. Have not found any carcasses, so they are not out in the living area, Django would have got them. He is great for hunting flies.

Gotcha. Our house is on a crawl space about four feet above ground and the furnace and water heater are in a small closet in a corner of the kitchen. There's an opening under the floor in there so that, in case the water heater leaks, the water will drain out into the crawl space and not into the kitchen. I don't know what it looks like - never been in there, or that far under the house :LOL:

We've gotten insects in there occasionally, but I guess the opening isn't big enough for rodents to get in.

Hope you get your mouse prob under control soon, Princess. I haven't had any mice in my house, but a couple of years ago my kitty left me a present on the patio :ohmy:, a rat about half his size! Ewwww. I didn't know we had rodents that large lurking about at night here.

So sorry to hear about your frying pan, CG. :(

Odd, Charlie...I've had State Farm for car and homeowners for over 30 years now and have been very happy with them so far.

My petty vent...I bought a pound of Farmer John bacon the other day and it looked good through the 'window', but when I opened it up to cook it, the rest of the bacon was thick and fatty (and not the good kind of bacony fat that crisps up nicely - it was more like gristle). It was inedible and I had to throw it out. I think I'll email the company - if I can get a coupon, I'll be content with that. Bacon is expensive. :mellow:

Oh yuck, Cheryl. Gristle is my least favorite flavor.

Sure hope you get some compensation!

Thanks, Dawg...:) if I even get a response I'd be surprised - deceitful packaging is so annoying....

Mouses...in my cupboards....
Well, crud. Hope you get rid of those little black-rice droppers real quick.

Aw, CG, I'm sorry. It sucks losing a favorite tool. Makes you feel kind of lost in the kitchen...
At least it wasn't a long-time favorite. I used it frequently when I got it, but then kinda relegated it to the cupboard when the cooking surface got funky looking. It was just in the last year that I got it all seasoned up right and started to use it again. Still, I'm bummed.

New Vent:

Poor Himself. We went out to eat last night, now he's laying in bed "not feeling too good". Upset tummy. :glare: Hmmm, guess we won't be going back to THAT restaurant again.

Hope you get your mouse prob under control soon, Princess. I haven't had any mice in my house, but a couple of years ago my kitty left me a present on the patio :ohmy:, a rat about half his size! Ewwww. I didn't know we had rodents that large lurking about at night here.

So sorry to hear about your frying pan, CG. :(

Odd, Charlie...I've had State Farm for car and homeowners for over 30 years now and have been very happy with them so far.

My petty vent...I bought a pound of Farmer John bacon the other day and it looked good through the 'window', but when I opened it up to cook it, the rest of the bacon was thick and fatty (and not the good kind of bacony fat that crisps up nicely - it was more like gristle). It was inedible and I had to throw it out. I think I'll email the company - if I can get a coupon, I'll be content with that. Bacon is expensive. :mellow:

Next time, stick it in the freezer with the receipt Cheryl. Take it with you when you shop next, and they will give you a credit for being unacceptable. We've done that several times with the meat department, and it works.
By the way, we only buy bacon by the pound from the meat case. It goes on sale often, and is far superior to pre packaged bacon.

Last edited:
Not so much a vent, but a bit of a sad note. Our primary care doctor is retiring. :cry: We've been going to him for years, really like the guy, and knew this day was coming. Still, a sad day for Chez Goddess. There are two doctors coming into his practice (see, he was THAT good that it takes two to replace him!) and their credentials sound fine, so we'll give them a chance.

I've been kinda hoping our reason for changing doctors was because we had moved back to OH. Unfortunately, we wore out the one we had here before we had a chance to make our escape back home. :LOL:

Not so much a vent, but a bit of a sad note. Our primary care doctor is retiring. :cry: We've been going to him for years, really like the guy, and knew this day was coming. Still, a sad day for Chez Goddess. There are two doctors coming into his practice (see, he was THAT good that it takes two to replace him!) and their credentials sound fine, so we'll give them a chance...

That happened to me years ago when my tried and true Dr. finally retired. He hooked me up with a young Dr. in the practice assuring me I'd like him. He was right. This guy is just right for me except for no sense of humor. SO even switched over to him. So you could be in for a pleasant surprise.

Next time, stick it in the freezer with the receipt Cheryl. Take it with you when you shop next, and they will give you a credit for being unacceptable. We've done that several times with the meat department, and it works.
By the way, we only buy bacon by the pound from the meat case. It goes on sale often, and is far superior to pre packaged bacon.

I started doing that too.

The price per pound is usually higher than prepackaged bacon but it actually works out to be cheaper and healthier for me because I only buy a 1/4 pound at a time. I do that with other fresh meats, deli meats and cheeses when I only need a small amount. I'm becoming the customer that everyone hates to be behind at the deli counter, you know the one "two nice slices of turkey, 1/4 pound of mozzarella sliced thin, 3 slices of lean ham sliced thick..." !!! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I explained that to a young man who was looking for the smallest, cheapest package of ham. He was also bemoaning the fact that he would have to eat ham sandwiches for several days in a row, because he lived alone and if he didn't, it would go off. It had never occurred to him that he could buy two slices of ham or some other cold cut.

I explained that to a young man who was looking for the smallest, cheapest package of ham. He was also bemoaning the fact that he would have to eat ham sandwiches for several days in a row, because he lived alone and if he didn't, it would go off. It had never occurred to him that he could buy two slices of ham or some other cold cut.

Plus if he visited the market's deli, he could not only buy 3 or 4 slices of ham but it would also taste way better than that pre-sliced crap that's packaged up.

Back
Top Bottom