Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah CG. I send my daughter an email and she only gets half the message on her tablet. She also mention to me that happens when she sends her daughter an email also. And my kids laugh at me for insisting on an old fashion desk computer. But I have more memory than they ever will. And I get all my messages. Completely! :angel:
I used to cart the laptop whenever we went out of town, even if it was just for a night or two. Since I don't do anything that needs a secure internet connection when we're out of town, all I take is the tablet now. Since we were gone a whole three days for a family funeral, just the phone and tablet were enough. We were much too busy having fun spending time with family that I wasn't online often anyway.

I went back through the thread to find your original post about autism. December 17th of last year? No wonder I didn't see it only the tablet! It was such a non sequitur to the most recent posts that it totally threw me off.

Reading back a few posts, I'm not sure having a Peter Pan syndrome is the worst thing in the world. I'm almost 60 and I still love to decorate my dollhouses or collect model horses or have rats and mice as pets...
Decorating dollhouses or collecting things isn't exactly Peter Pan Syndrome. After all, you admit to having a job! It's more along the lines of letting Mommy and Daddy support you even if you're a perfectly healthy, able-bodied adult. Think of the joke about the 35-year-old guy, playing video games while sitting around in his skivvies in him parents' basement, calling into sports talk shows to make stupid comments. THAT is the new Peter Pan. :ermm: :LOL:

Yeah tablets are nice for watching Netflix or whatever on (media consumption device), but nothing beats a laptop or a desktop.

Can't write a school report, email, or a story on a tablet. Well you could if you use an external keyboard, but it's definitely not ideal.

My wife's best friend had to come over to our house every time she needed to print documents, forms, do her taxes, etc., as all she had was a Kindle Fire tablet. Her husband refused to get her a laptop -- "you have a computer already! I bought you that Kindle!" I told her "you earn as much money as him; go to Staples and get a $250 laptop and a printer, sheesh." :) Women's Liberation!

Better still let the husband do the taxes by hand, take them when he is through and pay to have copies made, or pay an outside company to do them. It will cost him almost half of what a computer and printer would cost him. Also remind him that by doing that, he has to leave his information regarding his address, phone number, SS numbers, ect., on someone else's computer. Unless they use a zip drive. And in today world of identity theft, it becomes a matter of who can you trust. Do you really want to trust a total stranger? :angel:

Last edited:
Decorating dollhouses or collecting things isn't exactly Peter Pan Syndrome. After all, you admit to having a job! It's more along the lines of letting Mommy and Daddy support you even if you're a perfectly healthy, able-bodied adult. Think of the joke about the 35-year-old guy, playing video games while sitting around in his skivvies in him parents' basement, calling into sports talk shows to make stupid comments. THAT is the new Peter Pan. :ermm: :LOL:

Ah, I do collect the houses to the point where I may not live long enough to build them all, but after decorating them and getting all the furniture and accessories, I find I am arranging and rearranging all the time and having a blast. So yes, I really do "play" with them. Of course, we call it "interior design in miniature" and that sounds a lot better than "playing with the dollhouses".:LOL:

Last edited:
I believe that we are on this Earth, in this mortal form to grow, to experience heartache, exuberance, the joy of children, the love a good spouse, the anguish of hard times, especially when it affects out families, the bliss of a great meal, the wonders that surround us every day, to make mistakes, and to learn how to resolve problems of all kinds. In short, we are here to experience and to learn.

That being said, in the last two years, I've had to put money into the car, replace the roofing and repair a section of the roof, watch my wife come withing a breath of dying, fix my furnace, take on major projects at work that involve learning whole new systems, without any training, my basement flooding, a large tree branch falling onto my aluminum canoe, destroying it, help bolster my wife to help make her life livable, and now, my water pump, just today, failed. This bugger is 90 feet deep and I have to pull it up by hand to determine if the wire has rubbed against the casing and shorted out due to the insulation wearing away, or if the pump itself has failed. Oh, and the fund I have for building a new garage is slowly being eaten by all the other more pressing projects.

I'm not saying - Why me? I am saying - can I have a break in the challenges for a short time?

I'd love to find a way to give my wife a day, just a day without pain and suffering. I'd love for her to be able to step outside, on a warm day in the forest, without biting bugs. I'd love to come home from work feeling energetic and fresh, raring to do dive into one of the many projects that need to be completed.

But I have faith that all of this is form my good, and for my learning, by a power wiser than me.

I envy the fictitious Huck Finn, lying on a bank, snoozing on a warm summer day, with cool breezes keeping him cool, and a fishing line tied to his toe to wake him when a fish bites. The world has not progressed. It has simply become more complex, with more things to fail. And society, while not getting substantially meaner in most places, isn't as friendly and trusting as it once was.

I'm just not looking forward to pulling that pump tomorrow. Fortunately, I have a son at home who is willing to help. I have a reason to be thankful. He and I get to work together, without any reason to disagree, or argue. It should be a good day, except for the expense of fixing, or replacing the pump.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Oh Chief! Good gravy, you've been through the fire! Many hugs for you and your wife!

Dang, it's been trouble after trouble for you lately. I sure hope the cheap fix is the right fix. Good luck, and keep us posted on your pump problems.

...I envy the fictitious Huck Finn, lying on a bank, snoozing on a warm summer day, with cool breezes keeping him cool, and a fishing line tied to his toe to wake him when a fish bites...
Um, I hate to break it to ya, Chief, but in case you haven't noticed...you ain't 14 anymore. ;)

Chief, I know you can get through this also. You are very strong and have enough faith to face anything. I am glad you have your son there. It will make the chore of that pump go faster and a lot easier.

Take care and good luck with your pump problems. We all are in your corner and pulling for you. :angel:

So sorry Chief...but if anyone can make lemonade out of lemons, it's you. Keep your spirits up and feel free to vent when needed. Hugs!

Thanks everyone. The person that needs well wishes and prayers is my wife. I am still able to get around, go to work, and do things. There are just more things to do now. She's the one who is hurting, mentally, and physically.

I appreciate your well wishes, and prayers, for those who pray. Yes, this is just another speed-bump on road of life. As CG said, I'm not 14 anymore. At 60, things that used to be almost effortless become a challenge. But as I said, I have my son here to help. I'm just so used to doing everything myself. It's hard to let go of the reins, to have to rely on others. But you know, when you allow others to help, it strengthens the bonds between you, and gives them a chance to feel useful, and strong.

We all have to realize that there will come a day when we can no longer walk beside a rugged fishing stream, or just start walking a two-track for a day, just to see where it goes, or fix the furnace, or the car, etc.

The worst part of growing older, or like my wife, becoming completely dependent, is the sorrow that comes from thinking that you are simply a burden to your loved ones, and living through constant pain. That's why she needs your kind spirits, and thoughts, and prayers.

By this afternoon, the pump will be fixed, and I'll have a little less money in the bank. However, like you said, at my age and health, I'm still a survivor. It states in scripture that God will give us no challenge, except that he will provide a way for us to get through that challenge. That's always been the case in my life, though the challenges have some times taken serious work to get through. There are so many people who would love to have my simple challenges, as their own lives are far more difficult than mine. Well, I suppose I should start getting something done around here.

Seeeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North.

Last edited:
Chief, I can empathize with you completely. At 77 I am constantly reminded that I am no longer 20 years old. I tire so easily now. I have reverted to using paper plates, because to stand at the sink for any length of times, exhausts me. I can make it doing just the silverware and pans. But I am fortunate in that I have Pirate here with me. But at 53 his health is failing him also. He has arthritis and neuropathy in his feet. That came from 20 plus years of carpet installing and kicking it in with his knees. A hazard of the occupation. So walking for him is very painful right now, and he is constantly falling. One of these days he will break a bone. Then what do I do. But I don't want to lay that thought on him. We both have our own worries.

It is very frustrating when you realize that age has caught up with your body. During my working days my plan was to work until I was 70 and then do volunteer work for the Boston Opera Co. and Ballet Co. Open heart surgery along with three heart attacks killed that idea real quick.

When my kids would tell me, "it's not fair!," I would ask them who promised you fair? Well now my words are haunting me. No one promises us fair. We do our best to care for our family and can only pray for the best. That is about the fairest it is ever going to get.

I know it is hard to stand by and watch your wife to be in her condition. But you still have her. I have buried two husbands and a child. "It is just not fair." But who promised me fair?

So my heart goes out to you. You have the fortitude to see yourself through this latest setback. And you also have your faith. Hang in there. There is light at the end of the tunnel. It is called "Faith" and "believing!"

God luck my friend. :flowers: It will get better. Keep your faith. :angel:

Sorry to hear of all this Chief. It is definitely not a "Petty" vent! When you find yourself at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on! FDR

Last edited:
Very petty vent....

Why do credit card companies waste the time and money to send you a bill telling you that you have a $0 balance? And include a return envelope?

Very petty vent....

Why do credit card companies waste the time and money to send you a bill telling you that you have a $0 balance? And include a return envelope?
All the more reason to go with paperless billing...
I don't receive billing in the mail for anything. I get enough junk mail as it is..... and they get tossed out without opening.

Back
Top Bottom