Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Leaving Miami. Or rather we were supposed to leave at 3:40. It's 7:40. We are still seating on the plane, with no information when we would move. It's raining outside. I thought planes nowadays can fly any time. I guess I thought wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

I heard that on the 5 p.m. news last night. I think it was more the lightening, besides the fact that it had been a long time since this area had any substantial rain and it was coming down pretty hard. Craig was working on the west coast yesterday and that's where the storms were coming from so he got it all the way across the state. Lots of fun driving on Alligator Alley when it storms (not). There were flash flood warnings for all of Miami-Dade and central and southern Broward. In particular, the worst part of the storm was over the airport area and a bit north. You should have seen the radar and street shots they were showing of the flooded streets.

Glad you got home okay though.

I posted Happy Mother's Day, on FaceBook, to friends and family who celebrate it and that I would ignore anything else about Mother's Day, because it is a painful holiday for me.

One of my "friends" replied that she understood completely. Would I like to come over for drinks and dinner on Sunday?

Why would I want to go celebrate Mother's Day with a mother and her child (and her s.o.)? Was she just not thinking? :( :angry:

Maybe she didn't want to celebrate. Maybe she was just offering an alternative option of a dinner cooked by someone else, with the addition of drinks. Maybe LOTS of drinks. ;) I tend to stay off of Facebook on Mother's Day. I haven't had a chance to be home with the kids on this day since we moved. Until we move back, I'm just not in the mood to see all the "Mom" stuff.

Speaking of Facebook, WHY do people have to attack others when they're there? I had posted the same "Gap Year" comment there as I had posted here. Next, I'm getting attacked by a real, published, well-known author whom I "friended" way back when celebrities didn't have "Like" pages. I had met him once, decades ago, and thoroughly enjoyed his books. However, I was aware of his political leanings (as in, so far from any viewpoint I might hold he would fall over on that side if I were to gently blow his way...) and therefore do not have his personal comments appear in my news feed. I guess he still sees my few "Status Update" posts in his feed, however. Before I know it, I'm reading words that would make my Mother blush :ohmy:, and she was a good one at swearing. I did reply, with a measured tone and civility. Back with the attacks on his part. Again, I reply politely. Finally, I had enough. I told him he need not reply again; I was considering my thread "closed". So far, he hasn't bothered to challenge that. If he did, I'd just delete his post. :brows:

I enjoy using FB for its social connection aspect. As far as politics or modern social issues? On FB, I have no opinion. :D

Maybe she didn't want to celebrate. Maybe she was just offering an alternative option of a dinner cooked by someone else, with the addition of drinks. Maybe LOTS of drinks. ;) ...
Yeah, that is undoubtedly what she was thinking. But, how likely does it seem that there wouldn't be any Mother's Day celebrating? She has a 4 or 5 year old daughter and she is still very proud of finally succeeding at becoming a mother in her forties. As to drinks, she knows I'm the only driver in the family, so I don't drink much when I go out.

Thank you for reminding me of this. It is far from the first time she has said or done something that really makes me wonder about her intentions. I just have to remember that, in spite of being smart, she is occasionally a total oblivitron.

Oh well, I'm not exactly perfect either.

Taxy, I think she was just trying to be a friend. Oblivitron, maybe, but she wants to enjoy your company.

Last edited:
Speaking of Facebook, WHY do people have to attack others when they're there? I had posted the same "Gap Year" comment there as I had posted here. Next, I'm getting attacked by a real, published, well-known author whom I "friended" way back when celebrities didn't have "Like" pages. I had met him once, decades ago, and thoroughly enjoyed his books. However, I was aware of his political leanings (as in, so far from any viewpoint I might hold he would fall over on that side if I were to gently blow his way...) and therefore do not have his personal comments appear in my news feed. I guess he still sees my few "Status Update" posts in his feed, however. Before I know it, I'm reading words that would make my Mother blush :ohmy:, and she was a good one at swearing. I did reply, with a measured tone and civility. Back with the attacks on his part. Again, I reply politely. Finally, I had enough. I told him he need not reply again; I was considering my thread "closed". So far, he hasn't bothered to challenge that. If he did, I'd just delete his post. :brows:

I enjoy using FB for its social connection aspect. As far as politics or modern social issues? On FB, I have no opinion. :D
:ohmy:
What a wienie! Yeah, personally, if I violently disagree with someone, I either ignore it or say something, politely. I guess Stirling and I have been lucky. In nine years on FB, there has only been one serious case. An old friend of ours, who had moved to the US replied to one of Stirling's posts in a very antagonistic manner. Stirling replied something polite and the dude wrote something about hoping Stirling would just drop dead. Stirling "unfriended" him and banned him from his feed. I was pleased. Ex-friend's posts had been getting more and more obnoxious. Yes, this was a case of being on opposite ends of the political spectrum. Generally, we don't "unfriend" people for their political views. It's healthy to see views that differ from our own.

:ohmy:
What a wienie! Yeah, personally, if I violently disagree with someone, I either ignore it or say something, politely. I guess Stirling and I have been lucky. In nine years on FB, there has only been one serious case. An old friend of ours, who had moved to the US replied to one of Stirling's posts in a very antagonistic manner. Stirling replied something polite and the dude wrote something about hoping Stirling would just drop dead. Stirling "unfriended" him and banned him from his feed. I was pleased. Ex-friend's posts had been getting more and more obnoxious. Yes, this was a case of being on opposite ends of the political spectrum. Generally, we don't "unfriend" people for their political views. It's healthy to see views that differ from our own.

I'm very lucky. Have never been flamed on FB. Have friends who are extremely political, but I don't get involved. I did have to put a guy on my "ignore" list, as he posted every time he had a cup of coffee, a donut, went to the bathroom, or had a fight with his wife, all of which was every five minutes. We're still friends, I just don't have to see 40 posts from him at a time.

Last edited:
I so seldom go on FB. Only when I am notified of new pictures of the gkids. I get all the social interaction I need right here and with my personal friends in my community. :angel:

I just spent over an hour on the phone (included several holds, plus being bounced around to 3 different reps) with an AT&T rep in the Philippines to make a small change and a small dispute on my business phone account. She sounded very sweet, perhaps in her teens, but had no idea what she was doing. I got a confirmation number but also her full name just in case....
I remember something like this used to just take minutes once you got someone on the phone, back in the day....

I hate speaking to those darn foreigners. Being foreigners my self it is really hard to talk and to understand them. It's like as if we speak different language, even though we both are speaking English. Forget about that they have no idea what they are talking about. Nada, zilch. Stupid companies are looking for one thing cheap labor.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

I can't understand a word you're saying. Start over and don't run your sentences together as if you're bored and think we understand your unclear automaton gibberish. Can you do that for me? Can we start over?

I had to make a couple calls today, and also couldn't understand what the folks were saying. My hearing is fine. Part of the problem may be that they were probably wearing headsets, and sounded all muffled and garbled. Slight accents didn't help either.

I had to make a couple calls today, and also couldn't understand what the folks were saying. My hearing is fine. Part of the problem may be that they were probably wearing headsets, and sounded all muffled and garbled. Slight accents didn't help either.

I immediately ask for a supervisor that speaks clear English. At my age, I no longer have the patience. Nor do I wish to. I refuse to kowtow to foreigners that can not or are not willing to speak so that others can understand them.

I realize that English is a difficult language to use. And I do have to admit that there are times when Charlie gives me a laugh or two with his spelling. But I would never publically embarrass him. If I think he might want to know the correction, I do it privately. :angel:

Addie, that works if the call center in located in the U.S. If it's in India, I'm afraid you'll get an Indian supervisor! :LOL:

For our major credit card, I like dealing with Discover. When the live rep comes on, not only do they give their name, they give their location. All in the U.S. Over the years I've managed to "visit" Denver, Phoenix, and Columbus - all from the comfort of my kitchen chair! :LOL: I've been in all three places in the flesh, too. I have the credit card charges to prove it.

Addie, that works if the call center in located in the U.S. If it's in India, I'm afraid you'll get an Indian supervisor! :LOL:

For our major credit card, I like dealing with Discover. When the live rep comes on, not only do they give their name, they give their location. All in the U.S. Over the years I've managed to "visit" Denver, Phoenix, and Columbus - all from the comfort of my kitchen chair! :LOL: I've been in all three places in the flesh, too. I have the credit card charges to prove it.

Yeah, I have run into that problem also. But at least I can understand them. Their English is slightly more pronounced. They usually will talk slowly to me so I can understand them. If I can't understand a word, I ask them to please spell it.

I still think some of the problem is caused by cheap headsets. Sometimes the person on the other end sounds like Charlie Brown's teacher, "Wamp wamp wamp wamp."

The worst experience I ever had was years ago when my newish Dell had a meltdown. They sent me to India for at least 6 hours for two days apiece. I would get the same schpiel at least 15 times, and then whoever I'd been talking to went off to eat dinner with his/her family, promising he/she would get back to me soon, just hold. Finally, Keith from Texas, who spoke Texas English, got back to me on the third or fourth day, and sent me a new monitor, as he agreed that mine was defective and fried. I offered to marry him.

Last edited:
I don't generally have a hard time with accents, but why do people have to talk so fast? You ask them to slow down and it's an affront to them. I just tell them I can't hear as fast as they talk. Of course they are probably wondering why I talk so slow...

Back
Top Bottom