Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe the issue is with your bank. We've had VISA cards forever with different banks and this has happened once, many years ago.
No issue with my wife's BofA VISA card. ....same acct # for years.
When I called my bank (before I received my email alert) to see why my CC was declined at a gas purchase the night before they explained to me that there was a security breech with one of the merchants I deal with. They couldn't tell me who. I received a new card the very next day, via UPS next day delivery.

Last edited:
My Visa card, with an expired date, was attempted to be used in France. I've never been to France. Visa called and alerted me, and I got a new card the next day. But it was a royal pain to have to contact all my auto-pay places and change my account.

I can imagine how annoying it would be to have to do this 3 or 4 times. Once was enough.

Last edited:
Our main card is Discover. Been with them since 1987. I think they've had to cancel-and-reissue our cards due to fraud two or three times altogether. They also get replacement cards with a new account number to you quickly. They are quick to spot fraud, so we've never even had to be the ones to initiate investigation. Except once, and it wasn't due to fraud. Our son had lost his wallet - fell into Lake Erie while taking photos. Saved the camera, but a school of perch were eyeing that Discover card. :cool:

Had to replace card once. Called the customer service to repair lose. The first question they ask what's the card number. Had to repeat like 3 times that I lost the card and do not have the number.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Just about fed up dealing with AT&T and U verse.
So I decided to try their new device. A wireless base unit where you can plug your regular land line telephone into. I was able to transfer my business landline number onto this new wireless device. We'll see how this works out. Only $20/month plus taxes for unlimited domestic calls....24 month contract. I was paying over $80/month for my business, single landline service. No more of that chit....

Just about fed up dealing with AT&T and U verse.
So I decided to try their new device. A wireless base unit where you can plug your regular land line telephone into. I was able to transfer my business landline number onto this new wireless device. We'll see how this works out. Only $20/month plus taxes for unlimited domestic calls....24 month contract. I was paying over $80/month for my business, single landline service. No more of that chit....
I have one of those devices for my biz phone. It's with my cell phone provider, Fido. It's been working well for me. I've had it about a year. I was paying $10/month, but they just put it up to $13/month. I get all the bells and whistles: voice mail, conference calling, unlimited Canada wide calling, etc. One really neat thing is that I can take it with me anywhere in Canada that Fido has service and it will work, with no extra charges. It's a neat feature, but I don't really see me bringing the base station and the a landline phone with me when travelling.

We'll see how this works out. Only $20/month plus taxes for unlimited domestic calls....24 month contract.

When shopping for plans, a lot of sites show you nothing but 12 and 24 month trial plan prices and make you have to really search to find out how much it will cost after the trial period is up. Very annoying.

...but I don't really see me bringing the base station and the a landline phone with me when travelling.
Can't see why you can't dedicate a small travel bag for just that purpose. My dear MIL used to take coffee service with her when they would travel, back in the days before every motel room had a small coffee pot. She took a 4-cup hot pot, 2 cups with saucers, a coffee cone with filters for FILs coffee grounds and tea bags for her cups of tea, along with all the extras like sugar, powdered creamer, lemon juice packets...:whistling:

Can't see why you can't dedicate a small travel bag for just that purpose. My dear MIL used to take coffee service with her when they would travel, back in the days before every motel room had a small coffee pot. She took a 4-cup hot pot, 2 cups with saucers, a coffee cone with filters for FILs coffee grounds and tea bags for her cups of tea, along with all the extras like sugar, powdered creamer, lemon juice packets...:whistling:
I can just forward the calls to my cell phone, which also has unlimited calling in Canada. I usually bring coffee equipment, coffee, and tea. The guys at the airport were all talking, giggling, and pointing at the X-ray of my luggage, 'cause they could see one of these:

bialetti-moka-pot.jpg

When shopping for plans, a lot of sites show you nothing but 12 and 24 month trial plan prices and make you have to really search to find out how much it will cost after the trial period is up. Very annoying.

It's not an introductory rate like a credit card. They don't list what the rate will be two years out because that would be offering a contract and they can't know now what the prevailing rates will be.

I have one of those devices for my biz phone. It's with my cell phone provider, Fido. It's been working well for me. I've had it about a year. I was paying $10/month, but they just put it up to $13/month. I get all the bells and whistles: voice mail, conference calling, unlimited Canada wide calling, etc. One really neat thing is that I can take it with me anywhere in Canada that Fido has service and it will work, with no extra charges. It's a neat feature, but I don't really see me bringing the base station and the a landline phone with me when travelling.

Glad it's working out for you!
I wanted the base unit instead of a regular cell phone because a cell can get lost in a place of business where others have access to that phone.

Incidently, AT&T does not offer this plan under their business category. Hmm....I wonder why..:rolleyes: This base unit is only available under their home wireless plan but had no problem transferring my business number to this device for use in my place of business.

Glad it's working out for you!
I wanted the base unit instead of a regular cell phone because a cell can get lost in a place of business where others have access to that phone.

Incidently, AT&T does not offer this plan under their business category. Hmm....I wonder why..:rolleyes: This base unit is only available under their home wireless plan but had no problem transferring my business number to this device for use in my place of business.
Yeah, I had to transfer my biz number to "home phone". It means I won't be in the Yellow Pages, but that's okay, since I'm pretty much retired now.

It's not an introductory rate like a credit card. They don't list what the rate will be two years out because that would be offering a contract and they can't know now what the prevailing rates will be.

Quite actually, I was looking for existing prices and speeds for my brother who has an AT&T DSL account already. I had to dig on that site more than I would have liked to, to get that info. It got a little frustrating getting past the promotional offerings and finding info about what current net plans they have and at what cost per month. I eventually managed to navigate to the page with the info I wanted, but they didn't make it that easy.

I remember not long ago, when they would put that info in parenthesis right below the promotional offering.

Last edited:
You mean you have them written down? If that's the case I do that too. But I still have to enter them.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

I use Password Safe. It's free. I use a very strong password to protect the passwords in Password Safe. I can easily drag (or copy) the user name and the password to wherever. It also has room for notes and the URL.

Back
Top Bottom