Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had lunch in a hotel today with my husband and our youngest son. I ordered roast beef, which the menu said was served with seasonal vegetables, mashed potato and roast potato. When the food came the vegetables turned out to be covered by a cheese sauce, which I cannot eat, so I told this to the waiter and he brought me another portion without the cheese sauce.

My gripe is, why do restaurants assume diners will be able to eat something they add to a dish, but don't mention on the menu? Another example of this happening to me is when I order ice cream and it comes served with chocolate sauce - something else I can't eat. I know it sounds minor, but these surprise embellishments can ruin a meal for me.

Gillian
I hear ya. We went out to eat the other night and I ordered a steak with asparagus and French fries. When the food arrived, the French fries were a funny orange colour. I asked if they were sweet potato fries. Yes they were. I had to send them back because, I am not supposed to eat sweet potato. I had already gone through the rigmarole of asking if there was soy in anything and if the cooking oil was soy or vegetable oil. The annoying part was how long I had to wait for my mashed potatoes to arrive, after I got my other food back, with no sweet potatoes.

And I would be annoyed with chocolate added to stuff too. I can eat chocolate, but most chocolate is made with soy lecithin. I don't eat that.

Just one, before we went out. And only if we were unfamiliar with the product. Not a big deal. When you're standing there behind food for six hours (five and a half, since we did get a lunch break) you really aren't interested in eating it.

I tell you.......I have bought many new items based on what I sampled.......the last being this wonderful, delicious kielbasa sausage from San Antonio.......to die for! The lady who had her table set up was soooooooooooo busy......she was like a queen bee in a hive of hungry worker bees.........but she was just beaming the whole time......that's what I want to be........a queen bee! :)

We have a sausage place up on Rte. 1. He never advertises, and is set back off the road. If you are driving fast you go right by the place. Yet he does a great business. And on Saturday, he has a line waiting to get in. I have had his Kielbasa and it is to just die for. It is his biggest seller.

He also makes other national sausages. From what I understand, he won't make any other national sausage unless he has an original one from 'that' country. Today he makes ones from Mexico, Spain, Italy, Portugal and a few other countries including his Kielbasa from his native Poland.

He works night making the sausages, and his wife and children tend to the store during the day. :angel:

I was traveling past few days and I had a small 4 oz hammer with me (don't ask). Out of curiousity (I knew I had to check it in) I ask TSA agent about and was told that it can be used as a weapon (4 oz Weapon) and as such must be checked in. On the plane with me there was this kid, who had a skateboard. Really 4oz is a weapon and skateboard is just a toy?
I am not complaining, I am all for safety, but really is there any common sense?

P.S. Just posted this question on TSA facebook page, wonder if they will answer.

Last edited:
I was traveling past few days and I had a small 4 oz hammer with me (don't ask). Out of curiousity (I knew I had to check it in) I ask TSA agent about and was told that it can be used as a weapon (4 oz Weapon) and as such must be checked in. On the plane with me there was this kid, who had a skateboard. Really 4oz is a weapon and skateboard is just a toy?
I am not complaining, I am all for safety, but really is there any common sense?

P.S. Just posted this question on TSA facebook page, wonder if they will answer.

The rules do seem ludicrous. When I have something that I think will raise questions, I pack it in my luggage that has been checked.

;) I hope that kid with the skateboard wasn't planning on skating up and down the aisle! :angel:

No common sense with TSA. I had my crochet hook confiscated. I like to have one to fix snags on sweaters. Obviously crochet hooks are also very dangerous.

After the Shoe Bomber thing, DH and I were going back through FL, and NO liquids of any kind were allowed. They took my little one inch foil packet of moisturizer. I told the lady, "Give that back, please, I'll just use it now."

Last edited:
It's all just security theatre.

zyPADFi.png

on this last flight with British Air, the flight attendant told me that their #1 Pilot got stopped for one of the teeny sample (little bitty packets--not even an ounce) of nice hand lotion that you're given if you fly business or first class...held him awhile as it was Heathrow........you're right, Charlie D., a lot of damage could be done with a skateboard......just think how fast you'd get off if you pulled that hanldle and set off the excape chute on that skateboard!!!

The stupidity continues, this is TSA response: "Sorry for the frustration. Tools greater than 7 inches in length are not allowed in carry-on."

Idiots, I did not ask you about the tool, I wanted to know about the skateboard.

I asked them again, no response yet.

We have run into this absolute stupidity everywhere. Kayelle had a 4 oz bottle of cough syrup. she even took a shot of it, but they took it anyhow.
The same with a 4 oz bottle of contact lens solution. It had passed in LA, London, Moscow, and St. Petersburg, but some jobsworth idiot in Heathrow gave her a hard time. She poured some into her contact retainers, but they still took it.

Exactly. And so far, not a single terrorist has been caught. Despite the 4 ounce hammers, crochet hooks, and contact lens solution confiscations.

My nose runs, and I get pulled out of line for a pat-down after the whirly screening thing because I have to carry kleenex in my pockets. I always tell the agents they should be happy I have kleenex in my pockets.

Last edited:
The stupidity continues, this is TSA response: "Sorry for the frustration. Tools greater than 7 inches in length are not allowed in carry-on."

Idiots, I did not ask you about the tool, I wanted to know about the skateboard.

I asked them again, no response yet.

So do any of you think if I bring my embroidery with me, they will confiscate the needle because the tip may have poison on it and if I prick the skin of the pilot who is behind a securely locked door, the plane will crash or the pilot may go to sleep for 100 years like Snow White or Sleeping Beauty did? :angel:

So do any of you think if I bring my embroidery with me, they will confiscate the needle because the tip may have poison on it and if I prick the skin of the pilot who is behind a securely locked door, the plane will crash or the pilot may go to sleep for 100 years like Snow White or Sleeping Beauty did? :angel:

I've taken my petit point with me before, as well as my 3-4" inch scissors as the guidlines AT THAT TIME said I could. I checked on-line and called because the scissors are extremely sharp and pointed, and aren't cheap so I wanted to be sure before taking them since all I had was carry on luggage. The flight attendants, happened to be all female, were cooing over my petit point as I pulled it out and was working on it during the flight but a couple of them were really surprised I was allowed to bring my scissors on board. Just told them I had done the above and didn't have a problem at all going through security with them. Their response was oh, I didn't know that.

I've taken my petit point with me before, as well as my 3-4" inch scissors as the guidlines AT THAT TIME said I could. I checked on-line and called because the scissors are extremely sharp and pointed, and aren't cheap so I wanted to be sure before taking them since all I had was carry on luggage. The flight attendants, happened to be all female, were cooing over my petit point as I pulled it out and was working on it during the flight but a couple of them were really surprised I was allowed to bring my scissors on board. Just told them I had done the above and didn't have a problem at all going through security with them. Their response was oh, I didn't know that.

Exactly! It should be a requirement that before reporting to work, that they read the latest rules update of the Home Security. There is absolutely no consistent interpretation of the daily rules of what can and what can't be brought on board. :angel:

You save yourself a lot of hassle when you fly if you get yourself TSA Prechecked. It's only $80 and it's good for 5 years. You skip all that nonsense with taking off shoes, opening your laptop, showing your bag full of lotions, etc.

The process is simple. Fill out an application online, then go to a TSA spot and get fingerprinted. In just a couple days you have your clearance number. You still have to show ID and put carry-ons through the scanner, but you get to skip the real aggravating stuff - and you get to go in the shorter line.

If you only make 1 round trip per year, it comes to just $8 per flight for the convenience. If you travel more, the cost per flight drops to almost nothing.

BTW Charlie, I know that skateboards are banned on Delta as carry-on, and I think several of the other carriers. It's up to the individual airline, not a TSA issue.

Back
Top Bottom