Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
`i've been lucky......most people are more than willing to help arthritic people open containers, shove their stuff on board and for pushing through on airline checkpoints.......`i'm overwhelmed with the kindness of others.......

Last night, I got a phone call from a number I didn't recognize so let it go to voice mail. When I listened to the voice mail, I was informed that the call was a reminder for an appointment for Monday in the middle of the day for an eye exam. It's been a year since I last went. Okay, I KNOW I did not make that appointment because:

1. I don't make appointments that far in advance, won't even make a 3-month appointment at my primary doc's office.
2. I only make appointments on my days off, and Monday is not, nor has it even been a day off for me unless it's a holiday (when the eye doctor would be closed anyway).
3. I don't make appointments in the middle of the day, it's either early in the day or late in the day so that I don't have a split day on my day off when I'm generally trying to get things done around the house, work on a project or run errands.

This has happened to me a couple of other times in the last 6 months or so, not necessarily healthcare associated. One was the cable company when we moved and were having trouble getting things connected (ordered a DIY kit). My call got disconnected after the guy went off to check something/ask somebody a question, and by then I was so irritated and frustrated with them that I didn't bother calling back, just figured out the problem myself.

Okay, I know it's petty, but why should I have to waste my time calling these people back to tell them I don't want the appointment when I DIDN"T MAKE IT IN THE FIRST PLACE?

medtran, that is an old ploy all medical offices use. It puts more money in their coffers. If they waited until the patient was at death's door or just about blind to come into the office, they would have to close their doors. And if you don't show up, you get billed for the missed appointment. :angel:

`i've been lucky......most people are more than willing to help arthritic people open containers, shove their stuff on board and for pushing through on airline checkpoints.......`i'm overwhelmed with the kindness of others.......

I have one finger that is presently intent to make my life miserable. The last time I went shopping, it decided it had been quiet for more than one day. I had just reached and grabbed a glass jar off the shelf. All of a sudden my finger started to burn and hurt at the same time. The pain caused tears to start running down my cheeks. The jar went flying and smashed into smithereens. An employee was close by and came running to my aid. He offered me the corner of his apron to wipe away the tears. He then got me another jar and sent me on my way on the scooter. Then he cleaned up the mess. :angel:

medtran, that is an old ploy all medical offices use. It puts more money in their coffers. If they waited until the patient was at death's door or just about blind to come into the office, they would have to close their doors. And if you don't show up, you get billed for the missed appointment. :angel:

All medical offices? :rolleyes: Maybe medical offices that have elderly patients who receive public benefits. The only doctor of mine that sets up appointments for me is my GI doctor and we have agreed that quarterly appointments are appropriate.

Doctors have more patients than they have time to see. They certainly do not need to drum up business that way.

That said, I don't know why medtran's eye doctor did that. There are some conditions that require doctors to try to follow up, but they should have called to confirm.

I have one finger that is presently intent to make my life miserable. The last time I went shopping, it decided it had been quiet for more than one day. I had just reached and grabbed a glass jar off the shelf. All of a sudden my finger started to burn and hurt at the same time. The pain caused tears to start running down my cheeks. The jar went flying and smashed into smithereens. An employee was close by and came running to my aid. He offered me the corner of his apron to wipe away the tears. He then got me another jar and sent me on my way on the scooter. Then he cleaned up the mess. :angel:

oh, Addie, I know how you feel!:( You were so lucky to have such a great samaritan on hand.......just like when `i was in line at the airport and being rushed to hurry up and move along......`i just replied that `i was doing the best I could with arthriitis and everyone around me pushed in to help.....`i couldn't believe it......it was amazing..........`i could have cried.....

We were out grocery shopping Friday and while we were driving around looking for a place to park, I noticed a car that was having difficulty parking and it looked like they hit the car in the spot next to them. After we parked and were walking in, I told Craig I thought they had hit that car so we stopped to look and sure enough there was a scrape on the already parked car and paint from that car on the car that was parking. No note of course on the "victim car." So, I wrote down the license plates of both cars, and the make and model of the offender and went into the store, explained what had happened and asked them to page the victim car's owner. I waited outside while Craig went ahead with our shopping. Apparently, the owner of the car never heard or understood the PA announcement because they came out and the man got in the car without even noticing the damage (how I don't know). Fortunately, the woman getting in was a little slower so I was able to flag them down and tell them about it. I thought he was going to put the car into reverse before she even got all the way in the car, he was in such a hurry. Apparently, he was already having a bad day because he was very brusque and dismissive, even though the woman was upset about it. Personally, I don't get it because it was a very nice car, newer, no body damage or other scrapes, and I'd have been furious, especially with the person not leaving a note. He just told the woman he didn't want to be bothered and let's go. She at least said thank you for letting us know and getting the info in case the other person left, and she did take photos. And they had a Marine Corp sticker on the car.

I told Craig, I'm going to quit trying to do the right thing by other people and just mind my own business because it seems like every time I do, I either end up with somebody mad at me or just blown off.

Well, you'd love Texas, medtran........ some people here have no hesitation in keying someone's car for the pure h''' of it........I park in the netherzones so I can avoid such wretches........and still.......I don't know how many times I have had to python-squeeze out of my car or crawl across to the passenger side (and that ain't easy being 62 years old) so that I don't have my car door opening on someone elses........and yes, I have grrrrrrrrred at some of the uncaring owners of the vehicles around me..........but I could never bring myself to damage someone's car out of sheer nastiness.......

forgot to add: just be sure your autos are up to date on insurance, licensing, inspections, etc.........they're pretty serious over here if you ever do visit TX........bet Florida is the same way......

...I don't know how many times I have had to python-squeeze out of my car or crawl across to the passenger side (and that ain't easy being 62 years old) so that I don't have my car door opening on someone elses...
:LOL: Love the phrase "python-squeeze"!

That kind of parking isn't exclusive to just TX. I don't know if the parking spaces in MA are narrower than those in OH, but I do know that the people up here just loove driving their behemoth vehicles. ~ Then there are the drivers who think the lines are just a suggestion, with the left front tire in the spot to the left of the car, and the right rear tire on the line to its right.

I swear one of these days I'm walking out the door with a stack of printed notes in my hand, all with the same message: "Next time you park, please try and stay between your lines. Thank you." I know I'll never do that, though. With my luck, I'd probably be putting a note under the wiper blade just as the car owner approached his car...and he'd be some 6'5" in guy who was just as much of a behemoth as his car. :ohmy:

forgot to add: just be sure your autos are up to date on insurance, licensing, inspections, etc.........they're pretty serious over here if you ever do visit TX........bet Florida is the same way......
When our son headed to college his first year, his twin sister and I drove out with him. Poor Himself couldn't go because of a fussy customer that just couldn't bear the thought of another tech support being on hand in case they needed help (they didn't :glare: ), so he and his friend "Jim" spent the first night getting very well re-acquainted. Meanwhile, we were driving through the panhandle of TX on day two, baby boy Goober behind the wheel, and cruise control set at "the 10%" speed - ten percent added to the posted speed limit of 70. Um, we didn't know you were supposed to do at least one MPH under the posted speed...:( Got stopped, and the trooper said he clocked us at 81. I told him that wasn't possible since we had the cruise control set...and shut up before I admitted we were at least speeding. Didn't matter, he ticketed Goober for 81. Turned out that was the starting speed for the second tier of fines. Had he been cited for going 77 we would have paid at least $50 for speeding.

Funny thing is, when we were done with the trooper and got back on the road, Goober said he was afraid that had I argued with the trooper he would have pulled a portable electric chair from the trunk, set it up right there on the side of the road, and administered justice right there. :ohmy:

oh, my, I'm crying tears I'm laughing so hard, CG............no, in Texas, or at least my neck of the woods it's ok to go 5 miles over the limit and not be harassed.......someone who worked with judges informed me that officers would get into trouble if citations were issued to miscreants going less than that........they just threw them out.......so with that in mind I've never been pulled over........7 miles might be a different story........your boy Goober must have made their day.........yes, we do have speed traps here in TX and they will take you in for anything...........you just have to google and find out what cities they're in........Sealy outside of Houston on the way to San Antonio is a definite slow down area.............

Here in Mass. the speed limit is 65 mph on every highway. But if all the traffic is traveling 70-75 mph, and you are keeping up with it, it is very doubtful you will get stopped. It is when you are in the passing lane and going 45-50 mph and impeding the traffic that you will get pulled over. Or if you are weaving in and out of traffic and changing lanes. You will definitely pulled over.

Our cops hate paper work. Although in the event you take it to court, they are only too happy to appear against you. That counts as overtime.

Do not expect to get anywhere in a hurry in the early morning or late afternoon. Bumper to bumper cars trying to get to work in a hurry or home. The south shore is notorious for accidents and horrible traffic jams. No worry there about getting a ticket for speeding.

The North Shore is not much better. We have all the folks from NH coming to work in Mass. I do wish they would find work in their own state. :angel:

oh, my, Addie...........just when you think your life is bad......that's what's great about these sites.......we're all swimming in the same boats...........and all over the continent.........well you hang in there, Girlfriend

Darn. It is so beautiful outside and I am sick like a dog. The timing could not be worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Here in Mass. the speed limit is 65 mph on every highway. But if all the traffic is traveling 70-75 mph, and you are keeping up with it, it is very doubtful you will get stopped. It is when you are in the passing lane and going 45-50 mph and impeding the traffic that you will get pulled over. Or if you are weaving in and out of traffic and changing lanes. You will definitely pulled over.

Our cops hate paper work. Although in the event you take it to court, they are only too happy to appear against you. That counts as overtime.

Do not expect to get anywhere in a hurry in the early morning or late afternoon. Bumper to bumper cars trying to get to work in a hurry or home. The south shore is notorious for accidents and horrible traffic jams. No worry there about getting a ticket for speeding.

The North Shore is not much better. We have all the folks from NH coming to work in Mass. I do wish they would find work in their own state. :angel:

Groan. For someone who has never had a drivers license, your expertise on the subject is laughable Addie. :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom