Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We had the door guy install an automatic door opener for DH's garage door side a couple weeks ago. He noticed my spring on my side had sprung (it had been sounding funny) and fixed it for me. Don't think duct tape or WD 40 or any kind of oil would have done much good had I done it myself, and he already had all the equipment. Nicest guy.

Last edited:
My screw drive (verses chain drive) GDO always starts squeaking when the weathers gets cold.
I usually use what I have on hand at that moment to lubricate and quiet down the long drive shaft. I've used WD-40 spray, automotive bearing grease, lithium bicycle grease, bicycle chain oil, motor oil, sewing machine oil, and maybe some other types of lubricants over the years and they've all worked, some better than others.

Motorcycle chain oil works great as it is formulated to stick, and work even when dirt is thrown around.

By the way, I'm glad you had the garage door repair guy take a look. He found an actual problem that needed specialized tools, which most of us just don't have, and don't want to purchase.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the NOrth

...By the way, I'm glad you had the garage door repair guy take a look. He found an actual problem that needed specialized tools...
No so much "take a look" as a purposeful appointment. Himself had done all the other maintenance on the door/opener and he knew it needed the springs adjusted/tightened. Himself is a pretty smart guy. ;) He not only didn't have the right tools, he also didn't have the right skillset. He kinda likes living...

You need to get one. They're very nice. I mainly store my barn board, table saw, and mitre saw in mine. Sometimes we can fit in the cars.

We do have a shed. I should say, DH has a shed ;) He's got tools, our tandem bicycle, kayaks, etc. I don't go in it very often ... stuff everywhere.

Well, we sort of have a garage. We've never been able to park our vehicles in our 2-car garage in the 26 years we've lived in this house because we've had so much stored junk in the garage since the day we moved in. We park our cars in the drive way.
Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
When we bought our condo, my late wife gave me 30 days to build a workbench and shelves. After that both cars have to fit in the garage. Fortunately, I had a Hyundai:yum:

When we bought our condo, my late wife gave me 30 days to build a workbench and shelves. After that both cars have to fit in the garage. Fortunately, I had a Hyundai:yum:

Well, almost 20 years ago I threw out about half the junk in the garage and made space for and built a large work bench and added wall to wall 24" deep steel shelving. Junk started to accumulate again and occupy all the shelving and my work bench eventually got buried under even more junk. So I cant use the work bench anymore. We have to walk over junk on the garage floor to get to junk on the shelves. A serious fire hazard, I keep telling my wife....but she continues to hoard....
Oh, and we also have a large "once used to be" rec room....:LOL:

Well, we sort of have a garage. We've never been able to park our vehicles in our 2-car garage in the 26 years we've lived in this house because we've had so much stored junk in the garage since the day we moved in. We park our cars in the drive way.
I'm guessing you don't have a basement? We've parked our cars in our garage from the day we moved in. Then again, we get snow and we like to keep our cars forever, so we think of garages as safe havens for our vehicles.

You either need to get rid of the junk, or get rid of the wife. Looks like you'll be living with a cluttered garage, eh?

I'm guessing you don't have a basement? We've parked our cars in our garage from the day we moved in. Then again, we get snow and we like to keep our cars forever, so we think of garages as safe havens for our vehicles.

You either need to get rid of the junk, or get rid of the wife. Looks like you'll be living with a cluttered garage, eh?

Yep, we don't have basements out here in the West.

I seriously don't know which will be easier to get rid of, junk or the wife. But since I've lived with the junk for as long as we've been married I don't see any change happening, besides, they're not affecting my well being or the quality of life.... What's 20 or 30 more years of the same...:LOL:

Petty vent: Packaged salad bags in supermarkets now. It used to be you could pour the salad into a bowl, add dressing, tasted fresh. Nowadays, if you don't use a salad spinner with bagged lettuce, you get an earthy dirt flavor. Two years ago, salad bag makers rinsed their product a lot more than now. Water shortage, cost, etc. changed all that.

Yes yes, I know...rinse ALL salads now to prevent Salmonella. I bought a salad spinner a couple of months ago. I'm too lazy to make my own salad. My current fave bagged salad is Mainly Romaine.

Hehe, Romaine lettuce scares me, I've never used it. I've seen it in fancy sandwiches and bagged lettuce. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Petty vent: Packaged salad bags in supermarkets now. It used to be you could pour the salad into a bowl, add dressing, tasted fresh. Nowadays, if you don't use a salad spinner with bagged lettuce, you get an earthy dirt flavor. Two years ago, salad bag makers rinsed their product a lot more than now. Water shortage, cost, etc. changed all that.

Yes yes, I know...rinse ALL salads now to prevent Salmonella. I bought a salad spinner a couple of months ago.

You might even get a free frog!

I spin my bagged salad too. I prefer my frogs out in the garden.

Last edited:
Yes yes, I know...rinse ALL salads now to prevent Salmonella. I bought a salad spinner a couple of months ago. I'm too lazy to make my own salad. My current fave bagged salad is Mainly Romaine.

Hehe, Romaine lettuce scares me, I've never used it. I've seen it in fancy sandwiches and bagged lettuce. :ROFLMAO:

Rinsing lettuce will not remove microbes, just dirt.

I just planted romaine in my garden, as well as a few other lettuces. It's delicious. You should give it a try.

Calson, we use nothing but those bags of three hearts of Romaine for salads you find in the produce dept. It's so easy to remove a few leaves, rinse and shake dry to chop for a mixed glorified salad. Easy Peasy
Those leaves are also great for lettuce wrap "sandwiches".

Last edited:
Calson, we use nothing but those bags of three hearts of Romaine for salads you find in the produce dept. It's so easy to remove a few leaves, rinse and shake dry to chop for a mixed glorified salad. Easy Peasy

I should treat myself using Romaine lettuce more. :yum: It's kind of pricey.

Last edited:

Kayelle, I love these. I cut them in half lengthwise, so they hold together, spray with some olive oil, and grill cut side down on my stove-top grill pan, until the lettuce gets warm and has some dark grill marks. I sprinkle it with some bacon bits and a creamy dressing. I love the combination of the warm lettuce leaves with the cold dressing. Blue Cheese dressing works well.

Also like to use the leaves for wraps.

Back
Top Bottom