Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Our daughter works for Lowe's. She said 1) most stores do not warehouse appliances - they all need to be ordered 2) even more so with gas, since they aren't sold as much as electric models 3) Lowe's charges for appliance purchases under $399.00, after that they deliver for free and 4) Lowe's doesn't charge to "bring into the house", but they do charge a $15 old appliance removal fee. For what it's worth, it would cost me more than $15 to have our trash service take an old dryer away.

Just something to compare by. Good luck.

Thanks for all the information. I guess each store has their own fees. It really pays to look around.

I know CWS. And the worst part is you don't even have a date for when it will end. When do you get your life back. So vent to your hearts content. We're here for you! Any time you may need us.
You got that right--do I ever get my life back? Will it be the life I want? Living in the here and now.

Addie, you posted this under Culinary Gifts, post #10

I understand completely. When I lost my daughter, she had a very large settlement coming from an automobile accident. So I asked the lawyer to ask the court to name me executrix of the estate. The court gave me a booklet explaining the rules and my responsibilities. Since three of her children were already in the process of being adopted, I did not have to include them in the final settlement. But I did. I felt it was only right and what my daughter would have wanted. I explained to the adopting parents that the money was to be deposited into a trust fund and could only be used for their education costs or extreme medical needs. The same day they got the checks, they cashed them and the kids never say a cent. I should have brought them to court over it. But I let it go. Only one parent lived by the instructions. She sent the child she adopted to an expensive private school.

So which is it? I'll explain why I remembered and why the contradiction bothered me enough to bring it up.

I'm adopted. My father died a little over a year ago. As some of you may remember, a couple of years prior, my step-mother was involved in a serious car accident and I had to move to Mississippi for a while to care for my father because he was advanced enough into his dementia that he couldn't live alone or be trusted to pay bills, deal with finances, etc. A couple of years after he married my stepmother (when I was in my late 20s) he told me that he was changing his will to leave his pension and a payout he was getting annually from his mother's estate (her home that he and his brothers were carrying the mortgage on). I was okay with that because I knew they were doing okay, but didn't have a whole lot extra at the time. Fast forward to a few years ago when I discovered their finances had VASTLY changed, about 70% due to my father's SS, pension and estate payouts. Their wills were such that the surviving spouse would get everything, with them in turn leaving equal amounts to their respective children (me and her 2 children). She was 12 years younger than my dad so it had always been assumed that he would pass first.

Side note, I had to go through all their papers because we needed to apply for vet benefits and/or any other benefits due to the need for in-home care once she was able to come home and my dad essentially needing care at least 18 hours a day. It wasn't like I was snooping. It was done with full knowledge of all the rest of the family.

Well, during my stay with my dad, her son and I were having lunch together while my dad was visiting his mom in the hospital to give them some alone time. I was informed by him that his mother had changed her will to give him the house when she passed. Okay, I can understand that, I don't live close and he lives only about an hour and a-half away. His sister, who is mentally-challenged, will probably also need a place to live eventually since she for some reason stays with an abusive husband. She can't hold a job, but can take care of household duties and volunteers some for their church.

I suspect that stepmom's son has convinced her to change her will to leave me out because she let drop in 1 of our conversations that he had taken her to the lawyer's office a couple of times, as well as a couple of other things that have happened and/or been said. Of course, depending on how long she lives there may not be anything left anyway, since she has to have someone come in 6 days a week to help her out due to health issues resulting from the accident.

I know I'm not owed anything from my father, but it torques me that more than likely her kids or maybe even just her son are going to get whatever is left and I'll end up with nothing when the majority of the money came via by father. It especially bothers me because neither her son, nor his wife ever stayed in the hospital with stepmom. Her son called other family members to stay with her. Nor did either of them volunteer to stay with my dad for a couple of days so I didn't have to drop everything and rush up there the day after she had the accident. He only started to really get involved in her care after I discovered the state of their finances.
I get that. I am working on my Dad to leave the others' shares to charity. They couldn't be here now, they should not be bugging me for their shares. Sorry. You didn't have time to spend with the Elders when they were alive, you sure as heck don't deserve to get that $. For those who have difficult relationships with family, make peace. Life is too short to bear grudges.

Two of the children got a ten dollar bill in their birthday cards that year. The baby nothing. She doesn't remember her mother and didn't even find out she was adopted until she was in her teens.

There is still some anger left from the whole experience between myself and the adopting parents. But it is never brought up.

The only time it has been mentioned is when the "baby" had questions and wanted to know about her mother. I promised her that if she ever had any questions, just pick up the phone and I would always tell her the whole truth about her mother.

Except for the youngest one, the whole family has let sleeping dogs lie.

Our sweet little neighborhood store is closing. It's the closest one to DH's work, and an easy stop for milk and such, plus they have the best meat, and he gets an old fart's discount on Wednesdays. Not a horrible hardship for us since we live out of town and have cars, but I feel really bad for the south end, which is pretty much low income, and many walk to to the store as they can't afford transportation. This will be an issue for many.

Two of the children got a ten dollar bill in their birthday cards that year. The baby nothing. She doesn't remember her mother and didn't even find out she was adopted until she was in her teens.

There is still some anger left from the whole experience between myself and the adopting parents. But it is never brought up.

The only time it has been mentioned is when the "baby" had questions and wanted to know about her mother. I promised her that if she ever had any questions, just pick up the phone and I would always tell her the whole truth about her mother.

Except for the youngest one, the whole family has let sleeping dogs lie.

So, are you going to answer my question about the contradiction? In 1 post you say the 3 children WERE given money via the adoptive parents to be put in a trust fund but that wasn't done and the APs blew it. In another post, you say they WEREN'T given any of the money. Both of your posts were referenced in my post #5618.

Last edited:
Thanks Souchef. I'll check it out. I've been thinking about contacting a laywer in Mississippi to see if I have any recourse just to be prepared because she's been in and out of the hospital due in large part to issues stemming from the accident.

Our sweet little neighborhood store is closing. It's the closest one to DH's work, and an easy stop for milk and such, plus they have the best meat, and he gets an old fart's discount on Wednesdays. Not a horrible hardship for us since we live out of town and have cars, but I feel really bad for the south end, which is pretty much low income, and many walk to to the store as they can't afford transportation. This will be an issue for many.

I doubt Boston could survive without their corner stores. I can't recall of ever living in an area where there wasn't a "corner store." The corner store was the backbone of our immigrants. Either that or a pushcart. Stores such as 7-11 and others like it are replacing the corner store. Here in Boston though, immigrants are the folks who are buy the franchises. What they are doing here though is two or three friends will pool their funds to buy the franchise. That way at least one owner is always working. I hope DH can find another corner store on the way home.

Just got back from Greeley, CO...another heart attack and stent placed. Okay, I have a broken heart and it needs to be babied...but dang it, we just went through this in October.

On the bright side...my health insurance deductible has been met for 2017.

That sucks, PF. Please take care of yourself.

Thanks, Andy.

This time I get two weeks off from work and another stint in Rehab. I spent two days in ICU on a nitro drip. I've been sitting here for about 30 minutes and already time for another nap.

Just got back from Greeley, CO...another heart attack and stent placed. Okay, I have a broken heart and it needs to be babied...but dang it, we just went through this in October.

Awe Princess,
I'm very sorry to hear you had to have another one. Let's hope it's the last one. Your needed around here. Are you ready to take it easy now? Or do I need to make a road trip and get all Badger on ya to rest?

BIG HUGGS:wub:
Feel better soon.

Munky.

Geez, PF...:cry: Be a good patient and listen to what those other professionals tell you to do to get yourself right. We all know you're a great go-to for medical advice, but let others help you this time. More gentle (((hugs)))

So sorry, PF. Take care of yourself! Glad there's a bright side. Took me all the way to August last year to reach mine ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom