Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We know, Addie, that you used to be a bowling ball, and now you're a candlepin. :rolleyes:

Good grief, am I the only one who buys clothes online? I detest store shopping but refuse to wear anything tattered. There are brands of pants and tops that fit me well, and they're so easy to order online.
Himself found the joy of shopping online when he was working, and never looked back. Me? I'm a touchy-feely kind of shopper. I want to know the quality of the fabric before I part with money. So many manufacturers are reducing the quality of the fabric or stitching in order to continue selling at a certain price and make a better profit. I don't want to keep sending stuff back and deal with refunds.

Touchy-feely is another reason I could never order fresh foods online. I must squeeze hams (to determine fat content inside the ham), sniff fruits, check every inch of veggies, look over fat and marbling on beef...nope, can't let someone else shop for me.

Last edited:
I only buy my uniforms online. I buy the same brand of pants, in the same colors. Then I can top shop. I know what brands run big or small. I wear anything from Large to 2X depending on the brand.

I don't really know where to put this, but I have a BIG vent about AAA.

The bottom line is, we broke down on our way back home today, and it took over three hours to get a tow truck! Yep, you read that right..over three hours, in the hot sun on the side of the road, after at least 6 heated phone calls to AAA, with lies and empty promises.
The good news is, a total of 15 young people stopped and took pity with offers of assistance for people who look like their grandparents. That honestly warmed our hearts. A police cruiser finally pulled up behind us to literally guard our behind from traffic until the AAA tow truck arrived, an hour after that. What a nice officer he was, and very concerned for our safety.
Believe me, after being members of AAA for nearly a lifetime, they will get an ear full on Monday morning.

I buy my underclothes and pajama's or nightgowns (depending on what I'm in the mood for) at Walmart. I have pants and shorts that looked brand new (tags still on) that I got at thrift stores for $1 a piece, same for tops. I have a couple of nice outfits that were splurged on for my HS 30th reunion, I keep them for special occasions.

Shoes, however, are the bane of my existence. I HATE shopping for them.

The bottom line is, we broke down on our way back home today, and it took over three hours to get a tow truck! Yep, you read that right..over three hours, in the hot sun on the side of the road, after at least 6 heated phone calls to AAA, with lies and empty promises.
The good news is, a total of 15 young people stopped and took pity with offers of assistance for people who look like their grandparents. That honestly warmed our hearts. A police cruiser finally pulled up behind us to literally guard our behind from traffic until the AAA tow truck arrived, an hour after that. What a nice officer he was, and very concerned for our safety.
Believe me, after being members of AAA for nearly a lifetime, they will get an ear full on Monday morning.

They seem to have cut way back on many services...with our membership, we used to get towing up to 250 kilometers..now, they will only tow 15 kilometers...thankfully I have never needed a tow, but when I noticed that I started to read just what they were offering and it seemed like hardly anything at all...I never renewed my membership this year after 20 years...
As far as your situation goes, it may not be their fault..they probably contacted a tow truck driver in that area and figured they would go immediately..it may be the truck drivers fault that it took so long to get there. I would consider calling them and giving them the name of the company that towed you..they may issue an inquiry and/or warn him to get his act together..

Depending on your Auto Insurance, they offer towing services. I've never worried about tows with Farmers Insurance.

I only buy my uniforms online. I buy the same brand of pants, in the same colors. Then I can top shop. I know what brands run big or small. I wear anything from Large to 2X depending on the brand.

Princess many years ago, getting capped at graduation was the highlight of nursing school. Each school had their own style of cap. In Boston you knew which school a nurse graduated from. Today nurses do not wear a cap. So is there any other highlight of the graduation ceremony other than receiving their diploma?

OMGosh, how frustrating for you both, Kay! I'd have probably keeled over from heat stroke had that happened out here in the desert. :ohmy: Glad you and SC are OK, and I'm hoping that your car is back on the road very soon - if not already. :)

OMGosh, how frustrating for you both, Kay! I'd have probably keeled over from heat stroke had that happened out here in the desert. :ohmy: Glad you and SC are OK, and I'm hoping that your car is back on the road very soon - if not already. :)

Cheryl, sitting there, I actually thought of you in the same situation. Oh it could have been so much worse! It was pretty uncomfortable heat but it wasn't going to kill us, and we had water. They towed the car the 5 miles home to our local mechanic who's closed on the weekend so who knows what's wrong with it at this point. SC's co pilot brought us home and by that time we were were WHINING for Wine!!! ;)

Cheryl, sitting there, I actually thought of you in the same situation. Oh it could have been so much worse! It was pretty uncomfortable heat but it wasn't going to kill us, and we had water. They towed the car the 5 miles home to our local mechanic who's closed on the weekend so who knows what's wrong with it at this point. SC's co pilot brought us home and by that time we were were WHINING for Wine!!! ;)

I bet! :LOL: Thank goodness for SC's co pilot - and also meant to say how nice it was that so many folks stopped to offer help. :flowers: Good thing you had water, too.

The bottom line is, we broke down on our way back home today, and it took over three hours to get a tow truck!...
Geez, Kayelle, what a pain. I can understand delays like that up here-in the winter-when everyone is told to stay inside but they don't. We've been lucky - in the 17 years we've had AAA I called for service once, and they showed up in just over half an hour, having made determinations on two other calls that came in the same time ours did and servicing them first. And second. We were just chillin' our heels in the parking lot of the local donut shop...that was, fortunately, closed. :LOL: I know I'm interesting in what comes of your phone call to AAA on Monday.

Princess many years ago, getting capped at graduation was the highlight of nursing school. Each school had their own style of cap. In Boston you knew which school a nurse graduated from. Today nurses do not wear a cap. So is there any other highlight of the graduation ceremony other than receiving their diploma?

We get a ten gallon bladder and roller skates.

I placed an online order from ATK early in the morning on the 11th of this month. It was sent to FedEx on the same day. I received a notice that a shipping number had been assigned to my order. Two days letter that is as far as my order had gotten. I sent an email to ATK complaining. When could I possibly hope to receive my order. And answer "they would look into the matter" was sent back as their answer. The notice from FedEx still said that the shipping number had been assigned. So I sent another notice to ATK asking where is my order and when could I expect to receive it. In what year? Answer: They are looking into it.

Here it is the 15th of the month and I finally received a notice that it was being shipped out on an overnight delivery. We will see today. ATK should have just mailed it to me. I would have gotten it a lot sooner. I will never order anything from ATK again.

Not to tangent on, but my petty vent is about dentist's idea of what a tooth cleaning is now. It used to be you got a good going over by your dental hygienist. Nowadays, that is called "Deep Cleaning." You now pay extra for that. That "Deep Cleaning" doesn't require an antithetic and is what we all used to get...a thorough cleaning.

"Shall we set you up for a "Deep Cleaning" appointment?" Deep Cleaning appointment...wth?

It's not even a Root Planing (which requires an antithetic). It's just a more thorough cleaning...which is what you used to get before.

Now it's called a "Deep Cleaning" and costs extra, but it's how we've always had our teeth cleaned. Now it costs extra.

LOL...it's called "Deep Cleaning".

No wonder my last "Regular" cleaning was so pleasantly painless and superficial.

"Shall we set you up for a "Deep Cleaning" appointment?"

Hell, a regular thorough cleaning used to be that.

Last edited:
got a 6 to 7 hour drive tomorrow. going to my sisters to pick-up a china cabinet of one of our grandmothers. She wants to sell it and I said NEVER it is a family heirloom. Neither of her sons want it, my son does. So before they sell/toss it (she's moving) I have to get there and rescue it.

BTW, Dear Sister:
I understand you're under a great deal of stress - going from a huge home to one less than a 1/4 of the size. But... don't get snippity with me! Tarnation! I just spent a day'n a half trying to arrange care of the farm, with the goslings priority. Plus the horses, cats, etc... PLUS preparing a full meal for when I arrive. You ain't the only one with stress, sweet cheeks! Having problems with installation dates of the fibreoptics, the reno's on the bathroom, patio being reset and guy gettin very sick... Wild Parsnip taking over the place... give me a break - but I'm not snippity with the folks who are not part of the problem! at least not until now! you were brought up better than that, try using a little self control instead of giving in. Yeah, sure! I rant and rave and cry and scream... BUT IN PRIVATE! nobody undeserving :rolleyes: takes the brunt of my anger, frustration.

Except of course, the poor listeners at Discuss Cooking.... thanks guys:(

Sounds like my knuckleheaded sister. lol.

Last edited:
ATK - America's Test Kitchen?

Yes.

I finally received my Kitchen Hacks book today. Nine days later. Pony Express was faster than that. So much for that overnight delivery. Today is the 19th of the month. Nine days for it to reach my address.

I thought I was getting a pamphlet. Not at all. It has close to 400 hundred pages and printed on beautiful shiny heavy stock. A well written book that should be in every kitchen.

As much as I love the book, I still think their delivery service stinks! I will think twice before I even considering anything from ATK again.

Back
Top Bottom