Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank God for Whitney cleaning Fergie out of my ears!

Maybe she was drunk and/or stupid.
What red blooded American wants to see/hear our National Anthem performed with such disrespect?
The look on the faces of the players said it all.
Geeze Louise......:(

I don't mind helping out if someone comes here to simply ask a question if it leads to an interesting discussion from the membership. Not responding to the efforts we all made to help by simply saying thank you is just plain rude, and that gets under my skin.
Not everybody wants to play in our sandbox and that's fine by me. .

Yes! This. ^ :)

“Bone Broth”! Why do we need a new term to describe something that’s been around since forever. Let’s just continue to call it “stock”.

“Bone Broth”! Why do we need a new term to describe something that’s been around since forever. Let’s just continue to call it “stock”.
Because the kiddos who have recently discovered this miracle food need to give it hipster name [emoji38] I completely agree with you.

It costs us more to call it "Bone Broth" and the technique is a bit different than just stock.
Vinegar is added and the stock/broth is cooked for much longer periods, up to 48 hours for beef bones.

To me the difference was always - stock was unseasoned (as in salt) - broth was stock that had now been seasoned and could be used in many ways including drunk as a consomme.

according to one source I looked up - when refridgerated a good 'broth' goes gelatinous with the collagen that has been extracted.

LOL - my chicken 'broth' always does! I don't often make beef broth so really couldn't say.

I also saw no mention of vinegar being added???

To me the difference was always - stock was unseasoned (as in salt) - broth was stock that had now been seasoned and could be used in many ways including drunk as a consomme.

according to one source I looked up - when refridgerated a good 'broth' goes gelatinous with the collagen that has been extracted.

LOL - my chicken 'broth' always does! I don't often make beef broth so really couldn't say.

I also saw no mention of vinegar being added???

Bone Broth recipes use the vinegar to extract more minerals, not just the collagen, from the bones. Bone Broth has replaced my multivitamin. I only intake dietary calcium, so I need to get it from my diet. I use the bone broth for everything and it helps settle an upset stomach, better than an antacid.

Oh my... looks like I'm going to have to get some bones - as soon as this ice storm is over.

Oft times I don't make beef stock as the bones are too expensive - cheaper to buy premade considering the quantity I can use.

I have made stock from bone marrow - that which up here is called soup bones - but I take it that has not got the same collagen content. Could/can you still get the minerals you want from these soup bones?

and when do you add the vinegar? White, 4%, 7%, cider?

Oh my... looks like I'm going to have to get some bones - as soon as this ice storm is over.

Oft times I don't make beef stock as the bones are too expensive - cheaper to buy premade considering the quantity I can use.

I have made stock from bone marrow - that which up here is called soup bones - but I take it that has not got the same collagen content. Could/can you still get the minerals you want from these soup bones?

and when do you add the vinegar? White, 4%, 7%, cider?

Absolutely, save the bones up from roasts, steaks, etc. Use Cider vinegar and add it when you add the water. Chicken bones are done in 24 hours, beef take 48 hours.

If you get meat on the bones, you can take it off the bones at the usual time you would for stock. Save it for soup made with the finished bone broth.

Bone Broth recipes use the vinegar to extract more minerals, not just the collagen, from the bones. Bone Broth has replaced my multivitamin. I only intake dietary calcium, so I need to get it from my diet. I use the bone broth for everything and it helps settle an upset stomach, better than an antacid.

Unfortunately, there is no reliable research that this is true. A little bit of vinegar in a big pot of stock is a very weak acid that doesn't really extract more minerals, nor are minerals from bone broth a good source of the building blocks needed to build bone in people.

From https://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/bone-broth-calcium/
It makes logical sense that bone broth would be an excellent source of calcium. After all, about fifty percent of bones consist of minerals, with the largest store by far being calcium phosphate, a combination of calcium and phosphorous arranged in a formation called hydroxyapatite. Bone also contains small amounts of magnesium, sodium, potassium, sulfur and other trace minerals.

Even so, only small amounts of these minerals end up in the broth, even when properly made with vinegar or wine to help pull them from the bones.

and from https://www.npr.org/sections/thesal...ng-stock-of-bone-broth-sorry-no-cure-all-here
"Since we don't absorb collagen whole, the idea that eating collagen somehow promotes bone growth is just wishful thinking," Percy [associate professor at the University of South Dakota's Sanford School of Medicine] says. Instead, he says, the digestive system will break down the collagen into amino acids, and the body will use these building blocks wherever they're needed.

Kantha Shelke has a different take. She's a food scientist and spokesperson for the Institute of Food Technologists, and a principal with the food science and research firm Corvus Blue LLC.

She says that if you want to build collagen, you need more than bone broth.

"Eating a diet rich in leafy green vegetables is ideal," she says. "Plants offer richer sources in collagen building blocks and, in addition, provide nutrients not found in sufficient quantities in meats or broth."

What's more, bone broth may provide vitamins and enzymes, but they get denatured from heat as the broth cooks, rendering them less useful to the body, according to Shelke.

kill joy. Next you will say that Santa doesn't exist! <wink>
I'm going to keep the bone broth discussion in mind the next time I invite people over to chew on raw bones and eat lettuce with me.

Bone broth gives me a sense of humor and there are no food technologists that can tell me otherwise.

GG, I'm sure most of us will never know what you go thru and I'm truly sorry for your loss and pain. Now if this was a medical forum I believe we would take it with the utmost seriousness.

However, this is a cooking forum and suggestions here are hopefully for a better way of cooking that might help in some small way - not cures.

GG, I'm sure most of us will never know what you go thru and I'm truly sorry for your loss and pain. Now if this was a medical forum I believe we would take it with the utmost seriousness.

However, this is a cooking forum and suggestions here are hopefully for a better way of cooking that might help in some small way - not cures.

You see it that way; I see it differently. I speak up when I do because there are so many people (sometimes on this forum, sometimes just in general) who forego medicines and other treatments they need because they believe the lies, exaggerations and pseudoscience around food and nutrition that is so prevalent today. It's not a joke. "Bone broth" should not be promoted as a substitute for a multivitamin for anybody.

And you know as well as I do that we get into serious off-topic discussions here all the time.

Last edited:
Also, some people here like to laugh at me when I speak up about these topics. Because I've suffered from malnutrition of one thing or another for about 20 years, I have a special interest in it and have made a special effort to learn as much about it as I can. I became a Master Food Volunteer, I bought and read the textbook of the American Dietetics Association, and my doctors are professors at the medical school where I used to work; they educate me on these topics every time I see them. I have deliberately developed some expertise; one of my doctors has joked that I could probably pass the exam to become a physician assistant, and he teaches some of the courses for that ;)

Anyway, thanks for your sympathy.

Last edited:
I'm sorry you're not well, I had no idea, but aren't you the one who regularly says that this is just a cooking forum and people shouldn't be looking for expert advice here? Except how to cook?

GG, you are absolutely right but we cannot control how others think. We can try to suggest and educate them - gently. It is incredible the number of emails I get from friends who want to "warn" me about ... whatever... but all they've ever looked at is the headlines. But there are an awful lot of people out there - that for all the preaching - will never get it.

Preaching with humour - with humour people are more apt to remember and because of that perhaps slowly start to believe.

I'm sorry you're not well, I had no idea, but aren't you the one who regularly says that this is just a cooking forum and people shouldn't be looking for expert advice here? Except how to cook?

Yes, I have said that, and I believe it. I'm not claiming to be an expert, nor am I giving advice. I'm offering reliable information for people to consider when a topic that's important to me comes up and I'm not going to stop because you think I'm a know-it-all.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom