Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh boy, where do I start.

Transportation.
I'm 64.

It's your Anniversary tonight, Princess. It's a good topic. But you, my dear, have a Shrek to cuddle.

More on this later. I know you'll come up with some good resources as I'm sure others of us who are getting to be:

a. Old
b. Crochety
c. Geezers
d. Coots
e. All of the above

I Hate My Mouse

I hate my computer mouse.

I changed from a retractable cord (?) to an optical wireless. It eats batteries.

There isn't much that's as aggravating as getting all nice and comfortable with your laptop on your lap, ready to check in with the other DCers and see what there're up to, and

Suddenly, your mouse doesn't work. Nope, nada, Pfffft. First you've got to get up, stash the laptop . CARefully, and go get batteries. OR...

you can go get out the old optical retractable cord and attach it to the free USP extension cord ... never mind.

Okay, I opted to get out the old retractable.

BTW, I did order and am waiting on a plain optical with a cord.

In the meantime, having gotten used to the wireless mouse, I keep forgetting and every time I get up to do something, bang, clatter, there goes the mouse on the floor.

I'll get over this, it should only be a couple of days before my newest victim arrives. But I just had to vent.

I love this thread.

I feel better already.

Zhizara, a couple pages back you posted about your drain being clogged with hair. (At least, I think it was you.)

I bought a thingie at Lowes--a long white strip of semi-flexible plastic, less than half an inch wide, with barbs cut into the sides. You run it down into the drain, push it in and out a couple times, and it brings up the most amazingly disgusting, smelly, big, slimey wads of hair, which you pull off and toss into the trash. Et voila! A clean, free running drain.

I would think you could make one out of a bleach bottle--cut around and around the bottle til you have a strip about 18 inches long, then cut the barbs along the sides.

The Lowe's thingie is meant to be disposable, but I wash it and use it over and over.

I am so mad at my self, I got speeding ticket last night. all my fault, I just want to scream at my self and my stupidity.

Oh boy, where do I start.

Transportation.
I'm 64.

It's your Anniversary tonight, Princess. It's a good topic. But you, my dear, have a Shrek to cuddle.

More on this later. I know you'll come up with some good resources as I'm sure others of us who are getting to be:

a. Old
b. Crochety
c. Geezers
d. Coots
e. All of the above

I am not sure of the transportation availability in NOLA, unless the Senior center has a bus.

Are you on disability? I know Medicare can kick in early if you are disabled. Otherwise you are in the Medicaid system, but you have to sign up for it, they don't come find you. It's why I suggested Aging Services, they can help you get what you are eligible for.

Do we have any laweyrs here? Can somebody give me advise what to do about this to avoid getting in on my record? Or other stuff I have no clue about it?

Zhizara, a couple pages back you posted about your drain being clogged with hair. (At least, I think it was you.)

I bought a thingie at Lowes--a long white strip of semi-flexible plastic, less than half an inch wide, with barbs cut into the sides. You run it down into the drain, push it in and out a couple times, and it brings up the most amazingly disgusting, smelly, big, slimey wads of hair, which you pull off and toss into the trash. Et voila! A clean, free running drain.

I would think you could make one out of a bleach bottle--cut around and around the bottle til you have a strip about 18 inches long, then cut the barbs along the sides.

The Lowe's thingie is meant to be disposable, but I wash it and use it over and over.

Yes, that was me. A friend made me one once with a wire coat hanger with a little hook on the end. I am on the lookout for something with some flexibility to use as you can't remove the stopper. It raises up about 3/8" to drain so I don't have much room. The plunger works for draining purposes, but did bring up a hunk of hair once and I pulled out as much as possible. Someone also suggested bleach. I had to buy more bleach, but still haven't gotten around to using it on the drain. Maybe this will have been enough of a reminder for me to get it out of the kitchen and into the bathroom.:LOL:

I'll look around Walmart and see if they have something like you describe.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
The best thing for plugged drain is concentrated sulfuric acid; it is sold as "drain opener" in hardware stores, including Home Depot. But they will first recommend all kind of junk that doesn't work at all, like "draino". One must insist on sulfuric acid, works miracle.

I am so mad at my self, I got speeding ticket last night. all my fault, I just want to scream at my self and my stupidity.

We were pulled over not long ago by the Highway Patrol.
That guy tagged us from the opposite direction. They've really gone out of their way looking for minor infractions.

This guy went well out of his way to get across the center divider and catch up with us. He jerked open my door so fast I almost fell out of my seat. Good thing I was buckled in or I would have. His reason for pulling us over? Speeding. said we were doing 82, our speedometer said 65. He was extremely rude, borderline nut case. He let us off with a warning.. Nice of him, really.. It was an unnecessary pull over. We were going with the flow of traffic. Why don't they enforce the law when people DON'T pull over when they see emergency vehicles lights on?

I Hate Mice Part II

I ordered another mouse because the wireless mouse eats batteries and it's annoying to be interrupted.

I checked the order tracking yesterday and it said had been forwarded, BY ME!

I found the original confirmation from Walmart, and replied to customer service that I did not forward it and to please have it delivered.

They sent me a generic answer that had nothing at all to do with the topic so I checked the tracking and it reads as if it is out for delivery. The notations were changed so maybe I'll get it today.

My old backup mouse quit working. I often had to bang on it to get it started, plus it has a retractable cord, very short.

I got an extension cord with the wireless mouse so I was able to have a working mouse. It kept getting knocked to the floor and finally died completely.

If the batteries go on this one, I'll have to use the one on the laptop. I really, really hate that because I always brush it while I'm typing.

Thanks. It does feel better to get it out.

Last edited:
Medicare Costs

The whole health care subject makes my stomach hurt. When I moved to FL a couple of years ago, I had a Medicare Advantage plan with no - zero $ - premiums. Found out the doctor I was assigned down here was in another county with no local hospital privileges. So, signed up for the AARP Medicare Supplement plan with a hefty monthly premium. Just got a letter from them that it will be increased by around $7 a month starting Jan., so was considering signing up with a premium-free plan that has become available, before the open enrollment ends Dec. 31. But asking around, I found that the plans with no premium aren't accepted everywhere and don't do that well if you really become sick. So I decided to just swallow hard and leave things as they are and pay the stupid increase. Shall I hope I get something serious wrong with me to make my decision look smart? :neutral:

The older I get the more impatient I am with lots of things and people. Used to give it/them the benefit of the doubt, but am getting pretty tired of that.

The whole health care subject makes my stomach hurt. When I moved to FL a couple of years ago, I had a Medicare Advantage plan with no - zero $ - premiums. Found out the doctor I was assigned down here was in another county with no local hospital privileges. So, signed up for the AARP Medicare Supplement plan with a hefty monthly premium. Just got a letter from them that it will be increased by around $7 a month starting Jan., so was considering signing up with a premium-free plan that has become available, before the open enrollment ends Dec. 31. But asking around, I found that the plans with no premium aren't accepted everywhere and don't do that well if you really become sick. So I decided to just swallow hard and leave things as they are and pay the stupid increase. Shall I hope I get something serious wrong with me to make my decision look smart? :neutral:

The older I get the more impatient I am with lots of things and people. Used to give it/them the benefit of the doubt, but am getting pretty tired of that.

Is there any good reason not to sign up for the no premium plan and keep the AARP Medicare Supplement plan?

Being in my age group and self-employed, it sucks to have to pay for HMO insurance premiums. Our premium increases have averaged 15% yearly for as far as I can remember.
It'll eventually come to a point where it'll be more cost effective for me to seek a new career, working for someone else, regardless of pay, which offers good medical/dental plan for me and my wife.

Currently, our insurance premium is our single most expensive monthly payment we make and that doesn't cover dental. We pay cash for dental work when needed.

Last edited:
I Hate Mice Part III

On one good note, the mouse I ordered from Walmart was in my mailbox today.

It works just fine, the plain old cheap-o.

HOWEVER: What's going on with the sizes? Mice used to be one size.

The one I got with the computer, was smaller than "normal". I really enjoyed the way it fit my hand. That's the one with the short retractable cord Grrrr.

The next one I got had the wrong plug. They show a picture of it when you order it, showing that it has a cord, but doesn't show the plug end. Took it back, Grrrrr.

The third one I decided to go wireless. It eats batteries and not only was larger, but with two AA batteries, much heavier to push around. Grrrrr.

My newest has a cord so I don't have to buy batteries by the busload, I can deal with the cord since it is long enough, but this one is huge. It is the size of a rat! Grrr.

I know I'll get used to it, but just had to get that last Grrr out.

Last edited:
Is there any good reason not to sign up for the no premium plan and keep the AARP Medicare Supplement plan?

Sorry, Taxlady - I don't understand what would be the purpose of having both, and I'm not even sure they'll let you belong to more than one. Is there some advantage? I've missed the window for this year, but if it would make sense, perhaps I'll try again next Fall if it's a good move. Thanks.

Sorry, Taxlady - I don't understand what would be the purpose of having both, and I'm not even sure they'll let you belong to more than one. Is there some advantage? I've missed the window for this year, but if it would make sense, perhaps I'll try again next Fall if it's a good move. Thanks.

I figured you could get a proper feel for the no premium plan that way, without risking being left without adequate coverage.

they won't cover an incredibly pertinent item 4 me. aw, well.....i found
loopholes & got the item w/out $$.

DMV Is Frustrating

4 hours and I'm still waiting to make an appointment to renew my license. My Insurance company just notified me that if I don't renew by the 11th of this month I won't be covered anymore. I revert back to a newbie driver. I will have to pay double to be reinstated.

It takes 6 weeks to receive the new license and they wait until the lat minute to tell me.

I don't think I want one now. I'll walk!

Munky.

4 hours and I'm still waiting to make an appointment to renew my license. My Insurance company just notified me that if I don't renew by the 11th of this month I won't be covered anymore. I revert back to a newbie driver. I will have to pay double to be reinstated.

It takes 6 weeks to receive the new license and they wait until the lat minute to tell me.

I don't think I want one now. I'll walk!

Munky.

Are you in California?? Six weeks to receive a new one??? That's :wacko:

Back
Top Bottom