Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i know everyone has bad days. yesterday was a really bad day. everything i touched went south. was sewing a pillow case. now i have probably made two dozen before. was doing envelope style. twice, i sewed the stupid seam wrong and had to rip out. first time, didn't have all layers together. have no clue what happened second time. then it turned out almost to small, had to really wrestle the pillow in it. my bobbin ran out and i sewed a half a seam without it. while filling bobbin the little thing that holds thread onto machine went flying across the room. of course it screwed up the bobbin. started it over, started to sew, heard a loud sound al la sewing over big pin. bent the needle . new one on and finally got the blasted thing done.

today almost went the same way. carefully squeezed 1/3 cup of lemon juice. the knocked the cup over. luckily i had more lemons. i am almost afraid to move. oh yeah i spilled an entire cup of coffee in the sunroom.

scary huh, bet someone here has had days like that, at least i hope so, would hate to think i am the only one.

Don't worry Babe, you're definitely not the only one! I'm sorry you had to go through it though!

I'm right there with you on the sewing, with the breaking needles, flying bobbins, etc. I learned a long time ago that if I am not in the mood to put a zipper in, I won't even try because if I do, I will surely be taking it out (which is miserable) and redoing it!

Hopefully that is behind you now and things are going more smoothly!

Don't feel bad, Babe. It happens to all of us.

I find that if I make two mistakes in a row, while sewing, I stop. I'm just not having a good sewing day. I'll try again tomorrow.

I've mentioned before that I had stuff that I inherited from my mother shipped from Copenhagen. It's here in Montreal, in a warehouse.

I phoned customs and made sure to speak to someone in Montreal. They told me I needed copies of: a death certificate, will (or confirmation from a probate court, since my mum didn't have a will), bill of lading, and inventory signed by the executor. I asked if plain copies would be good enough or if I needed certified copies. I was told plain was okay. Much better for me, since my sister is the executor and she lives in California.

I went to customs today to get my stuff released. Now they tell me that I need certified true copies of the death certificate and confirmation from the court. Wasted trip. 60 km round trip and gas costs me $1.369/litre (my car needs the high octane stuff). I also fed the parking meter $2.75. It took three hours of my time. It's "tax season". I don't have time to waste. It didn't help that I slipped on ice and barely managed not to fall by grabbing my car. Gave me a real scare. I have osteoporosis. I broke my kneecap last year during tax season. That was a real nuisance. You can't drive with a broken right kneecap. Heck, you can hardly sit on a chair wearing the brace.

I've mentioned before that I had stuff that I inherited from my mother shipped from Copenhagen. It's here in Montreal, in a warehouse.

I phoned customs and made sure to speak to someone in Montreal. They told me I needed copies of: a death certificate, will (or confirmation from a probate court, since my mum didn't have a will), bill of lading, and inventory signed by the executor. I asked if plain copies would be good enough or if I needed certified copies. I was told plain was okay. Much better for me, since my sister is the executor and she lives in California.

I went to customs today to get my stuff released. Now they tell me that I need certified true copies of the death certificate and confirmation from the court. Wasted trip. 60 km round trip and gas costs me $1.369/litre (my car needs the high octane stuff). I also fed the parking meter $2.75. It took three hours of my time. It's "tax season". I don't have time to waste. It didn't help that I slipped on ice and barely managed not to fall by grabbing my car. Gave me a real scare. I have osteoporosis. I broke my kneecap last year during tax season. That was a real nuisance. You can't drive with a broken right kneecap. Heck, you can hardly sit on a chair wearing the brace.
Oh no! I'm so sorry you got the run-around like that. And I'm so thankful you didn't hurt yourself again when you slipped.

Hopefully all this mess will be taken care of soon and you will be able to get all your stuff. :flowers:

i know everyone has bad days. yesterday was a really bad day. everything i touched went south. was sewing a pillow case. now i have probably made two dozen before. was doing envelope style. twice, i sewed the stupid seam wrong and had to rip out. first time, didn't have all layers together. have no clue what happened second time. then it turned out almost to small, had to really wrestle the pillow in it. my bobbin ran out and i sewed a half a seam without it. while filling bobbin the little thing that holds thread onto machine went flying across the room. of course it screwed up the bobbin. started it over, started to sew, heard a loud sound al la sewing over big pin. bent the needle . new one on and finally got the blasted thing done.

today almost went the same way. carefully squeezed 1/3 cup of lemon juice. the knocked the cup over. luckily i had more lemons. i am almost afraid to move. oh yeah i spilled an entire cup of coffee in the sunroom.

scary huh, bet someone here has had days like that, at least i hope so, would hate to think i am the only one.

Sorry, Babe! I had one of those days, too.

I spent alot of time looking for the Hidden camera and waiting for Allan Funt to show up.:ROFLMAO:

Taxlady, I'm glad you didn't get hurt.

I don't think I can actually say I'm venting but, at the moment, I'm just plain old hurting.

Yesterday I took a short drive to Paris (Tennessee, that is) to scope out the shopping there. It's kind of a small and quaint area that Glenn and I have gone to a number of times on the motorcycle. It's also where the best barbecue can be found. Gotta have our priorities.:rolleyes:

At any rate, I had just made my first stop (at the barbecue place) to buy a rack of ribs. The last time we were there on the bike, Glenn commented on how good they looked. Since I was going to Paris yesterday, it only seemed reasonable that I should stop and get some ribs for supper.

I got out of the car and walked the few feet to the building, didn't see a rise in the concrete, and tripped and fell. Hard, full forward on both my knees, palms and stomach. There was NOTHING to grab to stop the fall.

Now, I have a very bad right knee and hit it the hardest. Fortunately I was wearing heavy sneakers and jeans, so there was no real broken skin, etc. Although, my right knee did get sort of a rug burn and a heck of a bump because that's what hit first. Swelled up such that my jeans felt like a tourniquet.

One of the employees saw me fall and came out to help me up and assist in gathering up my keys and purse. There was a bench nearby and he helped me there to sit for a minute to gather my thoughts. I felt pretty well, but was hugely sick to my stomach from hitting the ground so hard. It was all concrete/asphalt.

So...I bought the ribs and went on my way. Finished my tour of Paris and drove home.

By the time I arrived home, my knees were throbbing (especially the right one) and the swelling had continued. I could bend everything, so I felt assured that nothing was broken. Did notice that, when I fell, I must've stubbed my toes on my left foot because the nail on the big toe is almost off. Well, crap, just in time for sandal weather.

Had a pretty miserable night last night in spite of my doses of Excedrin and ice packs. Today's so-so and the swelling is going down, but the technicolor is beginning to show itself.

I've stayed off my feet since arriving home yesterday and will continue to do so well into tomorrow. I'll determine what I do tomorrow based on how tonight goes and how I feel in the morning. We have nothing pressing to do, so I can be a lazy slug if I want. It's rainy, cold and crappy outside and I'm not eager to spend time there. If it were sunny and nice, that'd be another story.

Anywho...guess this is what happens when one officially becomes a senior citizen. At least that's what Glenn says since I signed up on Tuesday for social security.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: He must have been feeling sorry for me because he turned down the bed and had everything ready for me before I came to bed. I can see there are some advantages to this "helpless" thing.:rolleyes:

On the bright side, maybe I'll audition for a part in a TV western. Glenn keeps calling me "Chester.":shock:

Oh Katie, that was an awful fall! I hope you feel better soon. You may not believe this, but when I read your description of your fall I literally had pain shoot through my knees. The same thing happens if I see people jump off of high places--My back tightens up and I get a quick pain.

Take it easy today and let yourself heal.

:flowers:Barbara

Holy moly Katie! OUCH! I hear a stiff shot of bourbon or gin is just the thing for aches of that kind. ;) Feel better soon.

My vents are petty and minor but I need to scream a bit. Everything electronic that I've touched today has died. (Pray that the laptop survives this post!) My watch died (probably the battery), my phone died (or next to it) I can't talk and be heard by anyone - AAAAAAAAAAAUGH! Now that is a HUGE issue for me as if my phone doesn't work, I can't get calls for my various jobs. So off I'll go to my store AGAIN. I probably did something stupid to it. The microwave screamed at me. I am afraid to touch anything else!

Holy moly Katie! OUCH! I hear a stiff shot of bourbon or gin is just the thing for aches of that kind. ;) Feel better soon.

My vents are petty and minor but I need to scream a bit. Everything electronic that I've touched today has died. (Pray that the laptop survives this post!) My watch died (probably the battery), my phone died (or next to it) I can't talk and be heard by anyone - AAAAAAAAAAAUGH! Now that is a HUGE issue for me as if my phone doesn't work, I can't get calls for my various jobs. So off I'll go to my store AGAIN. I probably did something stupid to it. The microwave screamed at me. I am afraid to touch anything else!

Maybe you should take the bus? :rolleyes:

Katie Iread about your fall, but didn't write you yesterday. I can understand the pain sweetie. I'm hurting as well but from surgery wednesday to remove the pd Cath. See tha blasted surgeon next week to see if I'm healing. The man I hope is prepared for an outraged old lady. another story I'll spil the beans at a later date. But I'll ask One question. What would you do to handle anyone who lied to you about how they would sedate YOU for this surgery?
See ya sweetie, feel better and let Glenn get you through thiskades

Yeah! For medicinal purposes only, of course. Glenn and I have had a couple of sessions with Henry McKenna (bourbon) and I believe things are beginning to look up.:wacko: I may have to go to bed with Glenn and Henry tonight. The aches are beginning to be a little more severe :ohmy::wacko: after 24 hours. Not sure why. Should lessen by now.

My biggest challenges are trying to get up from bed, chair, potty, etc. My palms and wrists are so sore and bruised that I'm getting quite creative and frustrated. I'm confident that tomorrow will be more positive.

Oh, Alix, you must feel as though you have something less than the Midas touch. Just hang on and look for coal-fired or gas-powered (not currently cost effective) appliances, etc. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hang in there. Things WILL get better.

Hang in there. Things will get better.

Katie Iread about your fall, but didn't write you yesterday. I can understand the pain sweetie. I'm hurting as well but from surgery wednesday to remove the pd Cath. See tha blasted surgeon next week to see if I'm healing. The man I hope is prepared for an outraged old lady. another story I'll spil the beans at a later date. But I'll ask One question. What would you do to handle anyone who lied to you about how they would sedate YOU for this surgery?
See ya sweetie, feel better and let Glenn get you through thiskades

I'd make darn sure my Insurance didn't pay for any sedation or pain control. I might even take up knitting, but then...I can be vindictive. And if he has a website, or you want to rate him on Angie's List...:angel:

oh katie, sounds so very painful. as you know i have fallen several times this past year. trust me you will find more places that hurt, places you didn't even know you had. just sit yourself down and stay there. whatever makes the pain go away , do it. keep an eye on all your spots that hurt . if swelling doesn't start to go down, go see dr. one of my falls i fractured my foot. it didn't even hurt, so keep an eye out for swelling that lasts to long i can truly say, i feel your pain. or rather i did . hugs and kisses
babe

I have a number of food allergies and sensitivities, which make creative cooking so hard. There are foods I used to love which I now can't eat. It can make things so difficult. And on top of that my partner is one of the fussiest eaters I've ever come across. Heaps I'd love to try he flat out refuses to try and I feel it's pointless cooking for one.

Whoa, folks! What a rough couple of days it has been out there. I do believe I'll just pick up a book and creep over to the chair and park. No sense pushing my luck.

I remember a Peanuts cartoon a long time ago -- I think it was Linus & Lucy, where Linus had gotten a boo-boo. Lucy said, You don't mind a little pain, do you? Linus said, Sure I do - pain hurts!

Hope all the aches & pains are letting up this morning. Someone tell me when it's safe to venture out again.

OK, whining works. After I posted about all my mechanical failures I set about trying to fix my phone. (I'm a bit stubborn) I fussed and fiddled and finally got irritated and walked away from it for a while. I came back and it worked. Go figure. Same thing with the watch...I picked it up, and set it to the correct time and danged if it didn't start running again! Daughter used the microwave...no problem. WEIRD!!! Not arguing, just saying, whining sometimes works!

Back
Top Bottom