PF's New House

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Daddy is an Electrical Engineer...that does not mean he drives electric trains.:LOL::ROFLMAO:

He rewired his own house from the alley to the outlets as it had not been done correctly.

Daddy is an Electrical Engineer...that does not mean he drives electric trains.:LOL::ROFLMAO:

He rewired his own house from the alley to the outlets as it had not been done correctly.
When I was a kid, I was told that my grandfather worked for the Swedish railroad and that he was engineer. I thought that it was wonderful that he drove trains. Then I found out he was the same kind of boring (to a kid) engineer as my dad, the kind that uses paper and pencil. :LOL:

If I ever move somewhere that has an electric stove hard wired, I will get an electrician to disconnect it and put a plug in the wall and on the new stove (if it doesn't have one). I've done that before.

I have faith in PF's judgment and trust in her father's ability to know what he is doing. A great looking stove PF. Oh, how I envy you. I am afraid that maintenance for this building, will never provide anything so nice for the tenants. :angel:

I suspect, Princess, that those of us who have ever moved a household half envy you the opportunity to start over while the other half heaves a sigh of relief that it's your opportunity, not ours. ;)

The wiring before Dad started was the hinky wiring...it is now to code. He will be checking the rest of the wiring in my house to make sure that it is up to code. Dad may be a paper and pencil Electrical Engineer, but he is also an electrician, plumber, carpenter, builder, arborist, gardener, computer programmer...in short, if I need anything built, Dad is the one I go to and he has the knowledge and experience to get it right the first time. His Degree is in Electrical Engineering, his experience is everything.

I suspect, Princess, that those of us who have ever moved a household half envy you the opportunity to start over while the other half heaves a sigh of relief that it's your opportunity, not ours. ;)

I can no longer call the Landlord...I am him.:ohmy: I'm capable in most repairs, but I don't play with electricity. Found out it's particle board under the laminate on the kitchen counters...boo-hiss, now I have to change my countertop strategy...

The wiring before Dad started was the hinky wiring...it is now to code. He will be checking the rest of the wiring in my house to make sure that it is up to code. Dad may be a paper and pencil Electrical Engineer, but he is also an electrician, plumber, carpenter, builder, arborist, gardener, computer programmer...in short, if I need anything built, Dad is the one I go to and he has the knowledge and experience to get it right the first time. His Degree is in Electrical Engineering, his experience is everything.

He sounds like my son Spike. Only he is lacking the piece of paper. His all comes from experience since he was 16. If he had to, he could build you a house. The family's "Go To" man also. When maintenance came in to inspect my apartment, Frank, the head honcho, was really impressed with the work Spike did in tiling the kitchen with fancy insets of tiles throughout the walls. Then at another time, he inspected the tiling done in the big room. Half had been done by Spike, the other half by the vendor. He asked Spike if he wanted a job. Spike turned the offer down. :angel:

Dear PF,
Your Dad sounds like mine. He studied Mechanical Engineering, but ended up building our home after the builder went bankrupt. He also built his own sailboat.My mom gave me some pictures a few years ago of me at age 4 with my mom and dad in the boat.

I can no longer call the Landlord...I am him.:ohmy: I'm capable in most repairs, but I don't play with electricity. Found out it's particle board under the laminate on the kitchen counters...boo-hiss, now I have to change my countertop strategy...
Dear PF,
I understand the problem. Our countertops were tile, and the drawers were so crappy they were falling apart. We went to granite counters and as large one hole sink. The beauty of the sink is it will hold our largest pan flat for washing.
I have attached a set of pics of our counters. The color is Madura Gold.

Attachments

• Counters.pdf
    259.7 KB · Views: 67
You rarely hear of Renaissance Men anymore, I am the daughter of one.
You are blessed, PF.
On the subject of Renaissance Man, this is one of my favorite quotes from Hienlin's Time Enough for Love
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects!

You really have an advantage if you are able to do-it-yourself when you buy a home (or have super dad nearby). I'll bet your dad is enjoying being able to help you do these things.

You are blessed, PF.
On the subject of Renaissance Man, this is one of my favorite quotes from Hienlin's Time Enough for Love
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects!

Lazarus Long sure has a way with words. Love Heinlein, that is also one of my favorite quotes of his.

You really have an advantage if you are able to do-it-yourself when you buy a home (or have super dad nearby). I'll bet your dad is enjoying being able to help you do these things.

He loves being asked for advice, I bounce a lot of ideas off him and he is willing to pitch in and help get the work done. Dad has been showing me how to use all the machines in his shop. Next week I am learning about the acetylene welder...that one is being taught to me by Mom, she's the one with the certification!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom