"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-08-2015, 07:14 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

So cute! Looks like it's turning into home!

If Rob came to visit, you'd likely find that shower curtain missing...

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:59 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Thanks, Everyone.

The kitties think it's great, the sun actually comes in and they can lay in the sun beams. More room for them to race around the house when the urge takes them. Lots of hidey holes, too.

Will be putting some BarTop around the bathroom sink, the edges of the mosaic are sharp and Shrek has torn his hand on them. Otherwise we just need some touch up painting on the inside. Change the cabinet hardware and we are set. We need to repaint the exterior and remove the aluminum awning over the front window, I would also like to redo the front porch, getting rid of the fake wrought iron and building some pillars. The yard needs lots of work.
That is not good about the tile edges. Does that awning shade the sun from coming in? It seems odd that it would be over only one window.

You have a back yard. And it looks like enough grass in front to require water. You are the envy of members in California.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:44 PM   #23
Master Chef

What a cozy little domicile for an ogress and her ogre. So glad the kitties are settling in nicely; always a main concern when moving a furry family member. One thing you might want to consider - moving the grill OFF the wooden deck with the wooden trellis. There have been a number of news stories about house fires that were started from grilling on a wooden deck. In fact, we learned from the news that MA state law requires grills to be at ground level on a non-burnable surface. You don't need to have your new digs get singed. Oh, and if you have vinyl siding, don't put it close to that either, or it will warp. We learned that thanks to Himself's Dad grilling at our last new home back in OH.

Odd, NO photos of a kitchen. You planning on cooking?
Old 09-08-2015, 11:59 PM   #24
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
One thing you might want to consider - moving the grill OFF the wooden deck with the wooden trellis. There have been a number of news stories about house fires that were started from grilling on a wooden deck.
I'd be worried also about how well sealed the wood deck is at repelling grease spots that I always get around my BBQ's. I think they sell some kind of metal fireproof pan or mat you can set under BBQ's. I think she's safe as far as the trellis goes if her BBQ is not left unattended. Where she has it placed now looks so damned convenient.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:13 AM   #25
Head Chef

Princess
Your new home is lovely.
Thank you for sharing with us.
I am happy for you.

Josie
Old 09-09-2015, 07:58 AM   #26
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
So cute! Looks like it's turning into home!

If Rob came to visit, you'd likely find that shower curtain missing...
I have another coming...going to decoupage it on the linen closet doors and make a small curtain for the window.

Rob can find it and towels to match @ Bed, Bath and Beyond
Old 09-09-2015, 08:04 AM   #27
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
What a cozy little domicile for an ogress and her ogre. So glad the kitties are settling in nicely; always a main concern when moving a furry family member. One thing you might want to consider - moving the grill OFF the wooden deck with the wooden trellis. There have been a number of news stories about house fires that were started from grilling on a wooden deck. In fact, we learned from the news that MA state law requires grills to be at ground level on a non-burnable surface. You don't need to have your new digs get singed. Oh, and if you have vinyl siding, don't put it close to that either, or it will warp. We learned that thanks to Himself's Dad grilling at our last new home back in OH.

Odd, NO photos of a kitchen. You planning on cooking?
I have the paving blocks needed for the grill, just wanted to keep it sheltered while not using. Need to level a spot in the back, that ground is rock hard. No one has done anything with it for a long time.

I can't seem to get clean kitchen counters. I still have the ugly stove and have not done anything with it to change it up from the Realtor's pic. Once it is ours and I start changing things, I'll have some before and after pictures.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:25 AM   #28
Head Chef

Looks positively Elizabethan, in a good way. Welcome home.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:16 AM   #29
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
I'd be worried also about how well sealed the wood deck is at repelling grease spots that I always get around my BBQ's. I think they sell some kind of metal fireproof pan or mat you can set under BBQ's. I think she's safe as far as the trellis goes if her BBQ is not left unattended. Where she has it placed now looks so damned convenient.
Home Depot sells the mats. I bought one years ago and they are great.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:34 AM   #30
Executive Chef

Congratulations to you both and the scampers. Looks good, looks comfortable.