"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-09-2015, 11:52 AM   #31
Honey Badger

Congratulations PF.I'm happy for you.
It's a beautiful home.
Don't worry about the petty stuff.The small projects will get done when your good and ready to get them done.Geez you just moved in.Relax and enjoy it.You deserve it.

P.S.
Hope you have good, really niiice neighbors.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:18 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Very nice, PF! You will have fun doing the updates you are thinking of. It's YOURS, and you can do what you want with it!!

It's a good thing you have that plaque that says "HOME." It will come in handy in your later years when you tend to forget where you are. Trust me, it happens! LOL

Old 09-09-2015, 01:24 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
Congratulations PF.I'm happy for you.
It's a beautiful home.
Don't worry about the petty stuff.The small projects will get done when your good and ready to get them done.Geez you just moved in.Relax and enjoy it.You deserve it.

P.S.
Hope you have good, really niiice neighbors.
Most folks who have just purchased a new home, have time before they move in to make the changes that they want. You didn't have that luxury. So get through the holidays first. Then during the winter months, you can take your time making the changes you want. Next, in the spring you can concentrate on the backyard and that garden you have always wanted.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:46 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Most folks who have just purchased a new home, have time before they move in to make the changes that they want.
They do? Most people I know can only afford one mortgage or rental payment, so they live in and fix up the new house at the same time.

When we bought our house, a friend advised us to fix up our bedroom first. That way, we would have a place to retreat to while we renovated or remodeled the rest of the house. After we redid a room, we would reward ourselves by taking a few months off and buying a new set of furniture for that room. Worked well but I was 29 when we started
Old 09-09-2015, 02:39 PM   #35
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
They do? Most people I know can only afford one mortgage or rental payment, so they live in and fix up the new house at the same time.

When we bought our house, a friend advised us to fix up our bedroom first. That way, we would have a place to retreat to while we renovated or remodeled the rest of the house. After we redid a room, we would reward ourselves by taking a few months off and buying a new set of furniture for that room. Worked well but I was 29 when we started
That does happen GG.People who buy those huge Modular homes can and do customize the floor plan with the builders of it before it's even built.Right down to what color they want the shades.
If they want something changed before it's moved, the changes are made.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:48 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
That does happen GG.People who buy those huge Modular homes can and do customize the floor plan with the builders of it before it's even built.Right down to what color they want the shades.
If they want something changed before it's moved, the changes are made.
I didn't say it didn't happen. I don't think most people who buy homes renovate them before moving in.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:54 PM   #37
Honey Badger

Quote:
I didn't say it didn't happen. I don't think most people who buy homes renovate them before moving in.
I will be. It's going to be my last home.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:22 PM   #38
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Looks positively Elizabethan, in a good way. Welcome home.
Thank you!

Yes, the dark walls, dark woods in the kitchen and bath, make me feel cozy.

The picture and sword have been favorites for a number of years. I also have a tapestry of the picture (The Accolade) for a bedroom wall, I'll be putting that above my dresser instead of a mirror.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:25 PM   #39
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Thanks for the kind thoughts every one!

I am really enjoying looking at all the things I need to fix up to what I want. I think I will be painting outside this weekend if the weather stays cooler. I love lumber yards, hardware and paint stores.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:57 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

Here in the city where I grew up, most of my friends that I grew up with would buy a triple decker. (Three apartments high.) They lived on the first floor, renovated the second floor, and rented out the top floor for income. When the second floor was done, they moved upstairs and then rented out the first floor. They lived almost rent or mortgage free while the rental incomes from the other two floors paid the mortgage.

I personally have never had the desire to own my own home. Too many headaches. Let the landlord do the worrying and repairs.