"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2018, 01:22 PM   #1
Master Chef

Phone for senior

After my fathers passing my mother really needs to cut down on spending. She has land line phone at home, $50, that is totally useless nowadays. Plus she is paying for long distance because she keeps calling the Old Country, that's anywhere between 10 and 30 dollars a month. If I get her a smart phone, which is about $30 a month she can use it for everything including calling International using Free apps.
so the question is what kind of phone to get. I think it would be better to get something big. It must be inexpensive, she doesn't have money to spend. Also she is anti-technology so it must be easy to use.
Any suggestions?

Old 10-23-2018, 01:31 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Charlie, look into TRAC Phone service. They offer inexpensive phones with minimal service for really cheap. Perfect for the elderly.

Old 10-23-2018, 01:34 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Even a big-buttoned, simple function cell phone was too complicated for my dad so he gave up using one. It was one of those over the counter, pre-pay, non-smart phones.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:34 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Charlie I don't agree that a land line is useless, at least for those of us who don't go out much. She's just been widowed and big changes like that will be overwhelming right now. She won't be able to handle another loss of any kind.

You could get her a simple smart phone to make calls to the old country and for emergency when she's out, but please don't take her land line from her.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:53 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Charlie I don't agree that a land line is useless, at least for those of us who don't go out much. She's just been widowed and big changes like that will be overwhelming right now. She won't be able to handle another loss of any kind.

You could get her a simple smart phone to make calls to the old country and for emergency when she's out, but please don't take her land line from her.
Also, landlines work when the power is out. I don't know how it works where your mother lives, but in some places 911 works better from a landline. They can often see the address from the phone number with a landline.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:00 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Also, landlines work when the power is out. I don't know how it works where your mother lives, but in some places 911 works better from a landline. They can often see the address from the phone number with a landline.

That too Taxi..^ I have an ancient bedroom phone that's plugged into the wall outlet. It's the only house phone that worked during the Thomas Fire. Our cell tower burned so the cell phones were useless, along with our house cordless phones.

Read this Charlie...
https://www.aarp.org/home-family/per...-landline.html

Old 10-23-2018, 03:33 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Charlie, this website will help you find financial benefits for your Mom in your area. You're a loving son any Mom would be proud of.
https://www.benefitscheckup.org/

Old 10-23-2018, 08:28 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
We tried to coach my Mother in cell phones, both smart and non, but technology just isn't her thing.
Even with one of those "Big Button" phones, it confused her.

I was to pick her up from the airport once and was waiting, waiting, waiting in the "Cell Phone Lot" with no call ... so we took a couple of cruises around the terminal and no site of her.
I got out of the car, sent DH but into the cell phone lot (they're free dontchya know ) and I walked the entire airport.
I finally found her sitting on a bench crying, trying to get the phone to work for her so she could call her daughter to come and find her... You should have seen her face when she looked up and saw me... Not a good day, not a good day for her nor I She never traveled again without me after that.

Try talking to her local Telco and see how you could lower her bill. I've done this a few times for her and now her landline is down to about $20USD. Also, keep checking back with them `cuz things do change...

Also, I want to say that an "old fashion plug in phone" needs to be the ones that don't use any electricity.
Mom didn't get that one either, so when we went to visit her in California, I made sure that she had the right one... she said that her "hands free phone" aka cordless, was broken. She'd lost power to her building and they had not notified the residences...
Old 10-23-2018, 10:11 PM   #9
Executive Chef

There is always the Rotary Dial App fro the iPhone...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rota...284926166?mt=8

CD
Old 10-23-2018, 11:27 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
They also work when your mother forgets to charge her phone or can’t find it.

Been there ...