Photo/Art/Images Enlarging?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

*amy*

Washing Up
I have some Images (mostly b/w - not from camera photos), I saved & would like to enlarge and frame myself. Is there a free program/download where I can enlarge the images/pics? Going to a framing place is so expensive. TIA

ImageForge is a good, feature rich, and free editor. I’m not a big fan of it’s navigation menu, but all in all, it’s a good program.

To resize, select the option “Open after Resizing” to resize it before you open it, or even easier, open the desired picture then select Picture>Resize. It will give you a pop-up block to enter your dimensions. If you leave the maintain proportions box checked. All you have to do is adjust one dimension (horizontal or vertical) to the desired size, and it will automatically scale the other dimension according to the picture’s existing dimensional ratio.

Just remember that resizing a digital image often results in loss of quality. You’re basically zooming in past the native resolution of the pic, so it can get grainy, jaggy, blurry, etc. ImagForge has cropping tools, smoothers and other digital enhancement filters that can help as well.

The GIMP is an GNU (Public License) Image Manipulation Program which is available free for Windows, UNIX(Linux) and MacOSX.

GIMP - Introduction

It is quite sophisticated for a free program. There is quite a bit of good documentation and even tutorials on the site.

Gimp is the most popular free program.

Enlarging will almost always result in an image that is not worth framing. It will pixilate and end up looking pretty lousy.

I have some Images (mostly b/w - not from camera photos), I saved & would like to enlarge and frame myself. Is there a free program/download where I can enlarge the images/pics? Going to a framing place is so expensive. TIA

Hi, Amy. How large do you want the enlargements to be? Some drugstores now have digital image scanning and enlargement services that are not too expensive. You say the images are "not from camera photos." I'm not sure what you mean by that. Does it mean you only have prints? If you have prints and a good scanner, you can scan the photos at the highest resolution available on your scanner, which will give you larger digital photos.

There is software that is specifically designed to enlarge images while minimizing the pixelation. Here's a site that compares digital enlargement software: Graphics.com: The shared resource for creative design

HTH.

How large do you want them? Is there a reason you can not buy them from the site you linked them from?

Haven't decided on the size for sure yet. I'm watching some frames on ebay. I may buy the photos/prints, but wanted to experiment w another idea, where you use one large pic & cut it up into several smaller ones -- then mounting individually (if that makes sense). Will see if I can find a link to show my idea.

Thanks for the info GG. Will check it out.

Last edited:
I have had that very same idea Amy. I have played around with it, but never gone as far as to frame them. I had a flower picture that I took that I made into four photos instead of one. Each one was 19x13 instead of the original photo being 19x13. great minds think alike.

I have had that very same idea Amy. I have played around with it, but never gone as far as to frame them. I had a flower picture that I took that I made into four photos instead of one. Each one was 19x13 instead of the original photo being 19x13. great minds think alike.

THAT'S IT!!! You knew exactly what I meant. There was a pic in a CB2 catalog (floral print), cut up and mounted on album covers? 12X12 - covering almost? an entire wall. Very dramatic & pretty. Figured if I ran off copies & messed up, I wouldn't have to buy 30 more prints :wacko: (I may have bitten off more than I can chew - in my head anyway :LOL:.)

What did you think off the pics/photos? I was drawn to his work, because his photos look like you can see thru the flowers/leaves - almost like xrays(?) Wondered how'd he do that? Pretty clever. Check out his site/gallery on line, if you like - Steven Meyers (sp?)

Last edited:
And here I was thinking I had an original idea :LOL:

I like those photos. It seems very much your style Amy.
They were done with a lot of back lighting.

And here I was thinking I had an original idea :LOL:

I hate when that happens! :ermm::LOL:

I like those photos. It seems very much your style Amy.
They were done with a lot of back lighting.

Lights! Of course! Why didn't I think of it. Thanks, GB. :)

Back
Top Bottom