Photo gallery of our ice storm!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for posting such amazing pictures, Katie. I'm so glad it is over for you, but I imagine the recovery time will be long, with all the beautiful trees that are damaged. We had a similar storm in Portland several years ago, but the ice was on top of 6+ inches of snow. Paralyzed the whole place, and the street I lived on was closed for a week. I am sitting here on my back porch in a T-shirt and shorts; it is 75F outside at 10:30 pm and I am shivering after looking at those pictures...

Katie, thank you so much for sharing those pictures. I couldn't begin to have imagined THAT, when told you were in the middle of an ice storm! The way the ice just literally enveloped everything. I am so glad you came out of it as well as you did, considering all that devastation. I feel more than a little humbled after griping about the unusual amount of snow we got here on the "wet coast".

Katie, thank you so much for sharing those pictures. I couldn't begin to have imagined THAT, when told you were in the middle of an ice storm! The way the ice just literally enveloped everything. I am so glad you came out of it as well as you did, considering all that devastation. I feel more than a little humbled after griping about the unusual amount of snow we got here on the "wet coast".

It was quite an experience, Laurie. The recovery is going to take at least a year. I lost nearly ALL of my trees. The house sits on an acre that WAS heavily treed. Now there are only a few scrawny ones left. The 100-year-old oaks are now nothing more than blank totem poles. All their limbs were stripped from the crown to the base.

Glad you made it through ok. Those ae some amazing pictures. It's crazy how fragile everything becomes during ane ice storm.

Glad you made it through ok. Those ae some amazing pictures. It's crazy how fragile everything becomes during ane ice storm.

There's definitely power in water, no matter in what form. Our local weatherman said that an inch of ice causes things to weight 120 more times than normal. In most cases there was 1 1/2 to 2 inches of ice on everything. It's no wonder things broke.

There's definitely power in water, no matter in what form. Our local weatherman said that an inch of ice causes things to weight 120 more times than normal. In most cases there was 1 1/2 to 2 inches of ice on everything. It's no wonder things broke.

yikes, I did not know you had that much ice! We had 6 inches of snow, then almost 1/2 inch of ice, then two more inches of snow. I'm guessing you had the same trouble we had, the crews really could not get into the woods for at least 4 days due to the continuing falling branches, that really delayed progress to restoring our power.

yikes, I did not know you had that much ice! We had 6 inches of snow, then almost 1/2 inch of ice, then two more inches of snow. I'm guessing you had the same trouble we had, the crews really could not get into the woods for at least 4 days due to the continuing falling branches, that really delayed progress to restoring our power.

Exactly, beth. Then, once they were able to get into the areas, they couldn't get out. Many of the local farmers went in with their huge tractors and pulled out the power company trucks.

The power lines running from the street to the box on my house were so heavy with ice, they sagged so low they were only about 18 inches from the ground.

Back
Top Bottom