"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-28-2009, 11:28 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
I sure hope you didn't get any snow tonight, Katie.
Nothing but a dusting, Connie. But west Tennessee has gotten up to 10 inches.
__________________

__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:34 PM   #22
Head Chef
 
MexicoKaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bucerias, Nayarit, Mexico
Posts: 1,914
Thanks for posting such amazing pictures, Katie. I'm so glad it is over for you, but I imagine the recovery time will be long, with all the beautiful trees that are damaged. We had a similar storm in Portland several years ago, but the ice was on top of 6+ inches of snow. Paralyzed the whole place, and the street I lived on was closed for a week. I am sitting here on my back porch in a T-shirt and shorts; it is 75F outside at 10:30 pm and I am shivering after looking at those pictures...
__________________

__________________
Saludos, Karen
MexicoKaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:54 PM   #23
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,947
Katie, thank you so much for sharing those pictures. I couldn't begin to have imagined THAT, when told you were in the middle of an ice storm! The way the ice just literally enveloped everything. I am so glad you came out of it as well as you did, considering all that devastation. I feel more than a little humbled after griping about the unusual amount of snow we got here on the "wet coast".
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:01 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Katie, thank you so much for sharing those pictures. I couldn't begin to have imagined THAT, when told you were in the middle of an ice storm! The way the ice just literally enveloped everything. I am so glad you came out of it as well as you did, considering all that devastation. I feel more than a little humbled after griping about the unusual amount of snow we got here on the "wet coast".
It was quite an experience, Laurie. The recovery is going to take at least a year. I lost nearly ALL of my trees. The house sits on an acre that WAS heavily treed. Now there are only a few scrawny ones left. The 100-year-old oaks are now nothing more than blank totem poles. All their limbs were stripped from the crown to the base.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:18 AM   #25
Sous Chef
 
jeninga75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Augusta, Ga
Posts: 721
Glad you made it through ok. Those ae some amazing pictures. It's crazy how fragile everything becomes during ane ice storm.
__________________
If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown
jeninga75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:40 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninga75 View Post
Glad you made it through ok. Those ae some amazing pictures. It's crazy how fragile everything becomes during ane ice storm.
There's definitely power in water, no matter in what form. Our local weatherman said that an inch of ice causes things to weight 120 more times than normal. In most cases there was 1 1/2 to 2 inches of ice on everything. It's no wonder things broke.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:47 AM   #27
Executive Chef
 
bethzaring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern New Mexico
Posts: 4,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
There's definitely power in water, no matter in what form. Our local weatherman said that an inch of ice causes things to weight 120 more times than normal. In most cases there was 1 1/2 to 2 inches of ice on everything. It's no wonder things broke.
yikes, I did not know you had that much ice! We had 6 inches of snow, then almost 1/2 inch of ice, then two more inches of snow. I'm guessing you had the same trouble we had, the crews really could not get into the woods for at least 4 days due to the continuing falling branches, that really delayed progress to restoring our power.
__________________
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:52 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
yikes, I did not know you had that much ice! We had 6 inches of snow, then almost 1/2 inch of ice, then two more inches of snow. I'm guessing you had the same trouble we had, the crews really could not get into the woods for at least 4 days due to the continuing falling branches, that really delayed progress to restoring our power.
Exactly, beth. Then, once they were able to get into the areas, they couldn't get out. Many of the local farmers went in with their huge tractors and pulled out the power company trucks.

The power lines running from the street to the box on my house were so heavy with ice, they sagged so low they were only about 18 inches from the ground.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:34 AM   #29
Sous Chef
 
radhuni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Calcutta, India
Posts: 958
wonderful photos
__________________

radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.