"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2017, 09:30 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Photobucket Is Holding People's Photos For "Ransom"

"Photobucket Is Holding People's Photos For "Ransom"
The company is now charging a $400 fee to hot-link images which will break photos on tons of old websites and blogs."

Read more here >>> https://www.buzzfeed.com/katienotopo...6ZK#.ntLZekRxD

msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:56 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
"Photobucket Is Holding People's Photos For "Ransom"
The company is now charging a $400 fee to hot-link images which will break photos on tons of old websites and blogs."

Read more here >>> https://www.buzzfeed.com/katienotopo...6ZK#.ntLZekRxD
Including this one. I have seen the odious image on a number of threads

Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 12:34 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I for one am really ticked off about this MsM. My entire collection of both food and personal picks are at photobucket and being held ransom. That means that every picture I've ever posted here will Pfffffffttttt........

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 01:56 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Sites are probably making a ton of money off their previously free service. They want some of that $$$, now that they are "established." They're reeling you in now...with their hook.
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:55 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I for one am really ticked off about this MsM. My entire collection of both food and personal picks are at photobucket and being held ransom. That means that every picture I've ever posted here will Pfffffffttttt........
I would be, too, Kayelle 😡

The first time something like this happened (anyone remember Geocities?), I decided I would never use one of those services. It's only a matter of time before their needs change and they need to make money from more than advertising. Data storage is much cheaper now than it was when Photobucket started, so people have lots of options now.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:06 AM   #6
Executive Chef

I guess not being very technical helps me...

In another food forum I used photobucket and thought it to be a pain..
For this forum and for facebook I just download pics into the Windows picture section and upload from there..
Perhaps that might not work for other applications but, works perfectly for me where I need it to...

Ross
Old 07-09-2017, 09:43 AM   #7
Wine Guy

I have a Photobucket "Plus" account right now, so I guess my links are okay until the end of 2018. But after that, there is absolutely no way I will pay $400 a year for a service that doesn't really provide me with any unique benefit for the money. I can store my photos in plenty of other places.

By doing this the sneaky way that they did, they've lost the trust of consumers. A more fair business practice might be to let free forums like DC continue to link, and only charge people for links coming from for-profit sites like Amazon and eBay.

I could be wrong, but I predict this will be the final nail in the coffin of Photobucket. I would suggest folks get their photos back now (assuming you don't already have them backed up somewhere) and close your account with them, before you lose everything.
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:47 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cooking View Post
For this forum and for facebook I just download pics into the Windows picture section and upload from there..

Yes, that would be ideal if all forums worked that way. Most other forums I belong to require direct links from whichever photo hosting site you're using. I also use Photobucket and it's also been a hot topic on many forums.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:54 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cooking View Post
I guess not being very technical helps me...

In another food forum I used photobucket and thought it to be a pain..
Perhaps that might not work for other applications but, works perfectly for me where I need it to...

Ross
I'm pretty technical and this is what I do, too Works great for me.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:56 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I have a Photobucket "Plus" account right now, so I guess my links are okay until the end of 2018. But after that, there is absolutely no way I will pay $400 a year for a service that doesn't really provide me with any unique benefit for the money. I can store my photos in plenty of other places.

By doing this the sneaky way that they did, they've lost the trust of consumers. A more fair business practice might be to let free forums like DC continue to link, and only charge people for links coming from for-profit sites like Amazon and eBay.

I could be wrong, but I predict this will be the final nail in the coffin of Photobucket. I would suggest folks get their photos back now (assuming you don't already have them backed up somewhere) and close your account with them, before you lose everything.
I think you're right, Steve. This is *terrible* customer service. Anybody with an email address has loads of free storage with their ISP. And Google Photos has some really cool features and a whole lot of storage space.