Photography

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

masteraznchefjr

Sous Chef
So.. I am thinking about investing in a D-SLR camera to take pictures of food and close up stuff. Any recommendations under $600. I know the lens I want costs about $300, 50mm f/1.4. Now I just need an appropriate body that's reasonably priced.

Thanks!

I highly recommend Nikon. I've had the D80 since it first came out several years ago. I've seen it pricewise ranging from $600-800. Shop around.
Check out adorama.com or samys.com

They're all good these days. You'll be happy with whatever camera you choose.

For taking good photos of food, plan on getting a table top or full sized tripod, an off-camera flash, a means of holding it (yet another tripod) and some method of diffusion (bouncing off of a sheet of white poster board or through a sheet works fine in a pinch).

You can't go wrong with either the Nikon or Canon.

If you want close up then I would suggest a Macro lens as well. Then read up on lighting!! Check out this site Strobist Lighting will be a big help on food photos.

I think, almost all dslrs are okay today...
well, I would prefer Canon, but that ist just the thing I started with.. okay, and you better never invest in that Nikon crap :D

just make sure you get a good light around, a tripod as suggested or for food a bean bag will work fine, too..

Most important thing is, that you can work with it, so go into a shop and try the Camera, doesn't matter wether Canon, Nikon, Olympus or Sony.
It must feel good in your hand and you may have an eye on the costs of all else you need.

Back
Top Bottom