"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-25-2011, 11:47 AM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef

Picasa and Picasa Web Albums

I uploaded some Easter pictures to Picasa Web Albums yesterday. It's the first time I've uploaded pics to the internet to share. Doing some exploring today, I discover there is the web album site for sharing pictures and Picasa software to download for editing pictures.

I have a Mac and have been using iPhoto for editing and viewing.

What do you know about the Picasas - pros and cons? Do you recommend the Picasas or something else instead?

Thanks,

Old 04-25-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
Admiral of the Texas Navy

I use picasa and web albums on the Mac, iPad, and iPhone for subjects that I want to centralize and access from virtually any device.

In terms of photo editing it is simpler to use than iPhoto but I don't think it produces as good results. Picasa works great for editing shots to post on the web. However, I wouldn't choose to use it for high resolution work.

Like most tools I think it has a particular use. But not a replacement for all things.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:55 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I use Picasa a lot. Is the software available for Mac now? It does a lovely job of simple fixes and saves a copy of the original in a subfolder when you save changes.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I use Picasa a lot. Is the software available for Mac now?...
The have a beta version available for Mac.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:57 PM   #5
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady
I use Picasa a lot. Is the software available for Mac now? It does a lovely job of simple fixes and saves a copy of the original in a subfolder when you save changes.
http://picasa.google.com/mac/

Old 04-25-2011, 07:18 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks Andy and forty_caliber. I just sent that URL to a friend who has been wanting it for his Mac.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:40 AM   #7
Executive Chef

I am probably the last person you want to see responding to a computer question, but I use Picasa. When dh got me my recent new computer I didn't want a separate photo editing program installed (Hi Laurie) because of my past difficulties in learning a Roxio program. One of my BIL's highly recommended the Picasa program. With my current mental state I still haven't learned how to use it well, but I have always been able to use their help program to do what I needed to do. I am happy with it.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:51 AM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Thanks to you all.

.40, cn you use iPhoto and Picasa side by side? e.g. if I want to use iPhoto for managing my photos and other stuff but Picasa has one or two features not available in iPhoto, can I go back and forth?
Old 04-26-2011, 09:02 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Thanks to you all.

.40, cn you use iPhoto and Picasa side by side? e.g. if I want to use iPhoto for managing my photos and other stuff but Picasa has one or two features not available in iPhoto, can I go back and forth?
I don't know about iPhoto, but I use Picasa side by side with IrfanView. I sort my photos into folders (directories) using Windog's file system.