"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #21
Proud American

I like Campbell's soups! And the boxed mac and cheese is also good, I was just looking for ways to make these differently on my own.

Remember one of my first posts asking about the boxed dinner and I didn't like it? It was under seasoned. That would have been good with some extra seasonings. I tried the same boxed dinner later and added more seasonings, some fresh chives and onion, garlic, sage, and it was very much better and I liked it.

I see what you mean, Pacanis. I think food is wonderful, and if it does come from a box or a can, it is well also. You can always fix it with seasonings. Sometimes we are on a time schedule and rushed, so this is what these foods from a can or a box are for. And they are good.

There's a girl in one of my classes who is a vegan. You don't want to know what she said about my ham and cheese sandwich and my Campbell's chicken noodle soup I had for lunch that day. I also had a thermos of whole milk. Cat = sinner!

With love,
~Cat

Old 12-17-2013, 06:37 PM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Ouch. I guess that makes me a food snob because I won't eat cooked beets?

My definition of food snob is someone who puts down the food that another person likes, or at lleast eats. And I don't mean, someone who puts down red meat because they are a vegetarian. I mean the people who instantly post in a thread with the usual: That tastes like cardboard; I don't know how anyone can eat that; Homemade is so much better; I won't buy premade/packaged foods; I only use fresh herbs... with the accompanying to illustrate you are making them sick by saying you ate a box of mac and cheese for lunch, or a can of Campbells soup, or used dried basil in a dish. Heck, even those that want to make sure they let everybody know that they haven't eaten at Burger King in thirty years just because they stopped there for lunch the other week. Gotta let the masses know it was highly unusual circumstances that forced you into the predicament of having to eat a Whopper and fries now... So sorry you had to become one of forty billion served
Although I have noticed Costco foods seems immune from this

oops, did I go on a rant?
Anyway, that's my definition of a food snob. Which is not exactly the same as a picky eater. A picky eater refuses to eat certain things. A food snob looks down their nose at others' food and refuses to eat it... for whatever reason. Is that what you meant, OP?
And that has nothing to do with stopping eating something for health reasons.

You can be passionate in your likes without stepping on others' likes.

"Someone's singing, Lord..."
Pac, you won't eat cooked beets because you've tasted them and don't like them? That's very different from saying "I'll never eat cooked beets".
How would you know you don't like them if you've never eaten them?

I very much agree with everything else you said.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:37 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Fortunately this "little darling" and his mother had the same tastes.
I've mentioned before she would fix Swiss steak the way we liked it for me and her, and the way my father and sister liked it for them. That was well into my teens if I recall. Not when we were younger.
Also, mom and I liked mashed potatoes and gravy. My father and sister mashed sweet potatoes, so Thanksgiving Day meals always saw both on the table. And any meal that had mashed potatoes and gravy she would always make another potato for my father and sister.
My parents were strict on some things, but I guess food wasn't one of them.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:57 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Exactly, Cat.
I still remember the post here by a popular member saying he made mac and cheese for him and his son, then quickly following it up (or as quickly as one can follow something up hitting the comma and the space bar) "and not that boxed crap".
Was that really necessary? I'm pretty sure we all knew it didn't come from a box.

But that said, I'll bet it's been 4-5 years since I've bought a box of mac and cheese. Not that I'm against it, I just always have the stuff on hand and the method to make my own now. Heck, it doesn't make no never mind to me where you get your food from. After all it's a "cooking" forum. Cooking is cooking. Scratch or bought. What's Andy's sig? You must first create the apple?

Kay, I couldn't tell you how they taste. Or cranberry sauce for that matter. I've never tasted either, nor was I forced to.
Squishy, red... oohp, errr ackkk

But if you like them go for it
Old 12-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Exactly, Cat.
I still remember the post here by a popular member saying he made mac and cheese for him and his son, then quickly following it up (or as quickly as one can follow something up hitting the comma and the space bar) "and not that boxed crap".
Was that really necessary? I'm pretty sure we all knew it didn't come from a box.

But that said, I'll bet it's been 4-5 years since I've bought a box of mac and cheese. Not that I'm against it, I just always have the stuff on hand and the method to make my own now. Heck, it doesn't make no never mind to me where you get your food from. After all it's a "cooking" forum. Cooking is cooking.

Kay, I couldn't tell you how they taste. Or cranberry sauce for that matter. I've never tasted either, nor was I forced to.
Squishy.....
But if you like them go for it
No beets or cranberry sauce, Pac? You're missing out! I love pickled beets! And my cranberry sauce was awesome this year.

I also love the convenience of cream of something soups and Idahoan potato flakes in a packet! Not a fan of mac and cheese, boxed or homemade, but that's me, others love it. There's nothing wrong with using a few shortcuts! What would college years be without Minute Rice and Ramen?
Old 12-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
No beets or cranberry sauce, Pac? You're missing out! I love pickled beets! And my cranberry sauce was awesome this year.

I also love the convenience of cream of something soups and Idahoan potato flakes in a packet! Not a fan of mac and cheese, boxed or homemade, but that's me, others love it. There's nothing wrong with using a few shortcuts! What would college years be without Minute Rice and Ramen?
Oh I've had about 4-5 slices of pickled beets through the years. I love pickled eggs, so about every 50 pickled eggs I'll have a slice of beet But never a cooked beet like my earlier post said.
I think we had a thread a couple months ago about foods being appealing. Beets and wiggly cranberry sauce don't appeal to me. I couldn't even tell you if they are eaten with a fork or a spoon
Old 12-17-2013, 10:27 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I've tasted both beets and cranberry sauce. I don't care for them, but once in a great while I'll eat some, just in case there is some missing nutrient in them that they may fill for me. You know, kind of "just in case".

I can relate to the "that crap" comment about boxed mac & cheese. I've used it many times when money was extremely tight. I don't have to do that now, but I can relate to the comment.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:46 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I can relate to the "that crap" comment about boxed mac & cheese. I've used it many times when money was extremely tight. I don't have to do that now, but I can relate to the comment.
I can relate to it, too, when it comes to certain products. But I try not to say it (or type it) out loud because it's rude to disparage something someone else likes.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:47 PM   #29
Proud American

Perhaps one's upbring and past has much to do with our approach to food also. I've shadowed Mamma in her kitchen for my whole life I think. She always let me help and she taught me so very much.

Now Papa is showing me his grilling expertise. I welcome every meal, and I can't be picky or a snob. There are too many recipes here and on the Internet for me to try.

Food and cooking are one of my life's greatest adventures. If I ever adopt children of my own, I'll teach them just as Mamma has taught me.

One time, my cousins were staying with us (the two who failed here) and they refused some of Mamma's dishes. I was very offended and furious! They didn't stay long.

With love,
~Cat
Old 12-17-2013, 11:21 PM   #30
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Depends on what you put in front of me if I'm a picky eater or not. Definitely not (I don't think) a food snob.

Tags
food