"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-19-2013, 07:29 PM   #81
Executive Chef

I think if you are offered something you don't like, it's better to say "Thank you, but I don't care for any" rather than saying that you don't like it. Saying you don't like it makes it a challenge to get you to try theirs. The same when you say you are on a diet, or you are diabetic etc. Then they insist that a little bit won't hurt you.

I make things, I set them out, and if people eat them ok and if they don't ok. I never insist that they try it. If the whole bowl of something is still there at the end of the evening, I know not to make it again! LOL

Old 12-19-2013, 08:18 PM   #82
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Some friend. I would have thought that if you didn't need to eat the free food then you did right not to do so. There would have been plenty of people who hadn't the choice because they couldn't afford restaurants.
He's no longer a friend. Now that I think about it, it is kind of rich that he said that. He's a dyed in the wool libertarian. He eventually got so obnoxious that my DH banned him on FaceBook. I never friended him on FB.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:52 PM   #83
Proud American

If the food did smell unpleasant, it's not bourgeois to choose another place to eat. I've noticed if a food doesn't smell pleasant, I'm worried about it, and I'm usually right, for it doesn't taste good.

Food begins with aromas, and if the aroma isn't pleasant, it usually makes one become not hungry. Gwen with her Brussles sprouts dish is the one I remember!

With love,
~Cat
Old 12-19-2013, 09:14 PM   #84
Chef Extraordinaire

Diabetic! If just one more person tells me about an uncle who always eats cake, candy or whatever, and he is a diabetic, after I tell them "No thank you, I am a diabetic", may just get a taste of my fist. Just once please tell me how they admire the way that I stick to my diet. I am not their uncle, I am me. I am a diabetic! A lot of the folks in this building are diabetic. They have severe neuropathy. I have been a diabetic for almost 20 years. I do not have it. And it is because I stick to my diet.

So when someone tells you "I am a diabetic" don't insist that they just try a small mouthful. That is when you become an 'enabler'. It is the same as offering drugs to an addict.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:14 PM   #85
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
In the interest of saving money, I have tried store brands. Some are fine, others are awful. It's hit or miss. Their frozen vegetables are woody and tasteless, the OJ is good.
It really varies from store to store. The store I currently work in has excellent store brand frozen veg, just as good as any other. A previous employer obviously put their name on whatever brought them maximum profit regardless of quality.

My store has its version of the Oreo and it's pretty sad. I tried the Target brand a few years back and I preferred it to Oreo (not sure if it's still available). Same goes with Trader Joes, I prefer their version of Oreo.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:22 PM   #86
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Diabetic! If just one more person tells me about an uncle who always eats cake, candy or whatever, and he is a diabetic, after I tell them "No thank you, I am a diabetic", may just get a taste of my fist. Just once please tell me how they admire the way that I stick to my diet. I am not their uncle, I am me. I am a diabetic! A lot of the folks in this building are diabetic. They have severe neuropathy. I have been a diabetic for almost 20 years. I do not have it. And it is because I stick to my diet.

So when someone tells you "I am a diabetic" don't insist that they just try a small mouthful. That is when you become an 'enabler'. It is the same as offering drugs to an addict.
Your information is out of date. Doctors used to advise diabetics to avoid sugar, but recent research has shown that diabetics can offset small amounts of sugary items with protein and complex carbs and maintain the desired blood sugar level.

Neuropathy and other complications of diabetes are caused by chronically uncontrolled sugar levels, not from eating sugary foods occasionally.

If you don't want it, just say "No, thank you," and leave it at that.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:26 PM   #87
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

Just my opinion Addie, but if you simply said "no thank you" without adding "I'm diabetic" you could avoid hearing about uncles who eat cake, candy and whatever. The more information you give them, the more one wants to make conversation about the information given. With a simple "no thank you", you have the power to change the subject.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:29 PM   #88
Head Chef

GotGarlic...

are you ??? or have/do you??? any personal relationship with someone who is diabetic?

Your reply is somewhat ambivalent... and not one I completely agree with...
Old 12-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #89
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I also find a "No thanks, it looks beautiful/so good/delicious, but I'm stuffed!", works too.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #90
Head Chef

in the meanwhile and the between while... you put in another message which I did not see while composing mine...

enough said...

Tags
food