"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 06-21-2006, 07:45 AM   #11
Senior Cook
This may sound gross, but when i was in Italy, we were presented with a whole roasted pig, following the locals advice, i ate the cheeks and even the eyes, It was delicious, think marrow texture and taste, I promise if you didn;t know what you were eating, you would really enjoy it. I was nervous, but as a foodie, i'll try most anything (not to anthony bourdain extent)

Chef_Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 11:18 AM   #12
Senior Cook
OMG am I the only one grossed out by this? * gag* somebody would actually make this?

Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:42 PM   #13
Master Chef
pig's head in aspic is rather famous in some parts of Germany... but I don't eat anything with this jellything on.. I'm not a cat!

but the roasted cheeks from the so called "Spanferkel" are really delicious, good muscular meat... the whole Spanferkel is yummy!
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 04:49 PM   #14
That reminds me of a dish I had in Germany, It was Calf's Head Soup, made with chunks of meat from a calf's head. Some peicies even had little bits of hair on them. Yea, I know it sounds discusting, but hey, so does McDonalds to some people. Its just culture. The Soup had a slight vinegar taste to it. It was actualy really good.
Whole Wheat Cookbook Blog
Ripliancum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 05:21 PM   #15
Head Chef
Piccolina, we have also seen uteruses, ?uteri, in one of our Asian markets.

In the same section we saw beef pizzi. We did not know what it was but it was a long cylindrical piece of meat that they had tied in a knot.

I don't know how to say this but they don't come from cows.

No bull.

LOL but true.
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 05:40 PM   #16
Master Chef
Are we talking about tube steak here?

Back to the Pigshead Pudding, I had an older friend who used to make homemade head cheese. It wasn't so bad on a cracker with a little mustard.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:41 PM   #17
Head Chef
Head cheese is wonderful so is pickled tonge and a few other types of byproducts you can't buy any more
Cook with passion or don't cook at all
Dave Hutchins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:07 PM   #18
Master Chef
I'm big on trying anything once, but here I have to draw the line. Change the name or something, don't tell me what it is and I will probably try it, but after that appetite pleasing cooking directions... blekkkkkkkk!

sattie is offline   Reply With Quote