"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-04-2011, 10:43 AM   #11
Master Chef

I found a dog pill under the kitchen radiator the other day and all of my pups have been gone for 1 1/2 yrs.

My greyhound, Opal, wouldn't take pills or eat any vegetables. She would snarf mouthfuls from her bowl, chew, and simultaneously spit the vegetables out from the sides of her mouth, with the wiener dog down below on dirt devil duty.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:46 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Pill pockets are the industry's answer to getting dogs to take pills. But, dogs are smart (as are cats) and they spit them out. So, we are challenged!

Thursday night I "wrapped" Roz's meds in raw hamburger...she coughed for about 2 hours. I was afraid I had caused her to aspirate.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:45 AM   #13
Head Chef

I think the smell from the chicken liver cooking drives them crazy cause they know it means they are getting a treat and are usually so anxious by the time it cools down enough to eat that it just gets gulped whole, no chewing involved. Perfect pill giving scenario.

I do make treats with chicken liver, as well as beef/veal/ham/chicken baby food and peanut butter, not all at once, different recipes. We stopped feeding them purchased treats after the problems with pet food and treats from China a few years back. Depending on how big the pills are and how big I make the treats, I can drill a little hole in them, put the pill in and down it goes. They love their little nuggets. They know what the smells are from those too, even when the dough is still getting mixed. One of them will sit and stare up at the counter and chuff, especially when the baking sheet comes out of the oven and is sitting on the counter cooling. Good thing about them too, I can make a whole bunch and freeze them, then just pull enough out for a few rounds of treats, let them defrost, and presto-chango fresh pug nuggets.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:57 AM   #14
Executive Chef

At the rescue group we use pill injectors to dose our charges with things like deworming pills and antibiotics. I have one feral cat that lives in my couch and he'll gobble up the pill pockets with no problem when I mix them with other treats and that's how I de-flea him because I don't feel like stressing him out by trapping or cornering and scruffing him to use Advantage. My Alpha cat, Tyson, however, after about a week and a half discovered the pill pockets had a surprise inside and refused to eat them.

I also have a Himalayan that, when given a bowl full of mixed Purina Cat Chow and Science Diet, will give you back a half bowl of Science Diet! Of course, cats are much more particular about what they eat than dogs.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:39 PM   #15
Head Chef

When we first got our cats, they were all very sick, and I was giving them medicine in a squirt syringe twice or three times a day. One of them would fight me, the other would just open his mouth wide and take it like a man! lol It's funny how some animals don't mind.. while others fight tooth and nail!
Old 06-05-2011, 02:47 PM   #16
Master Chef

I once had a dog who would actually eat a blob of liverwurst, then spit out the pill. Luckily she was small, so between hubby and me, we could force the issue, not something I'd try with a larger dog. I actually had to change brands of heartworm pills because pilling her was such a pain, and she liked Heartguard. I was told the other brand (cannot remember the brand) was actually better, but it isn't better if the dog waits until you're out of sight and spits it out.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:26 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Many years ago, my old cocker Jeff loved beef stew, except for the peas. They were always found in his bowl, licked clean, with the rest of the stew gone.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:02 PM   #18
Head Chef

I scoop out a ball of velveeta using a melon baller and shove it in there. Jack doesn't need meds often so I figure the cheese is worth it to get the pill down!
Old 06-06-2011, 03:12 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Dog meds and our meds are very often the same, just using a different name. And I imagine anything tasty would not have the shelf life they want.

yes, in a pinch i've taken woof-itor, for cholesterol.

my total cholesterol is down to 175, and i have a sbiny coat.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:12 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
yes, in a pinch i've taken woof-itor, for cholesterol.

my total cholesterol is down to 175, and i have a sbiny coat.
... and a hard time walking by fire plugs.