Pins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
Medical insania. I just recently had a friend, whose arm was fractured in a car accident, ask me when my hip "pins" are going to be removed. She showed me hers. Huh? Pins? I make jewelry, and those are finer and lighter than the pins I use to make jewelry. My so-called pins are my life for eternity. A few months ago my husband made a comment, and I found a couple of web sites with real x-rays. Somewhere in there I stopped calling them pins and started calling them bolts. I got my husband thinking correctly, but I still have acquaintances thinking that I've got needle thin headpins (what they are called in the jewelry industry) in my hip. Yeah, I finally told my husband that he should think of the pins that hold your door on to its frame. Nah. that's when I looked up the web site, and if I hear any grief from any one (I really don't get much) I will order the xrays. My fault, I did as much as I could without my husband or friends' help. But, geese.

Bolts for sure in a hip. It's a much bigger bone and has to support your body weight. I've seen pins for fingers and they're thicker than common pins.

The only difference in the "pins" and "bolts" that are used in mending bones is that the medical ones are made of titanium. and they are sterile. You could use them as an erector set for your kid to play with. Orthopeadic surgery is a specialty of rebuilding support beams in the body. They use the same tools that you would find on a construction site. Chisels, hammers, saws, etc. :angel:

Last edited:
Thanks for reinforcing (haha) my thoughts. I know my husband thought pins and thought the kinds of pins my friends have in their wrists and ankles. They get removed, and are smaller than the pins I use in jewelry making. So I refuse to call mine pins any more. A bolt fell out of a table I was working on, and it was about the same size, that is to say in diameter (It was only 2" long). I told hubby that mine was 4" long, and there are three of them. Yes, obviously they're titanium, much lighter in weight, and they're only threaded at one end. I'm not looking for sympathy, just a little empathy. I'm way more athletic that my friends and even my husband. That doesn't say a lot. But I do get tired of people thinking the pins in my thigh are needle-thin.

if they have threads, then by definition they are either bolts or screws. (i actually read that thing i posted, lol).

but seriously, pins are more like nails. they use simple friction or a clasp to fasten. bolts use the mechanism of the threads to fasten.

I understand what you mean, Claire. Last July when I had my right hand rebuilt, compliments of "Arthur," I had to have a pin temporarily set into my hand. But...what the doctor actually called it was a "rod," which was much more accurate because it stuck out of my flesh and, believe me, it WAS NOT the size of a needle or a pin. It was darn right scary to look at, especially since about an inch of it protruded from my hand during the healing process.

I guess because I grew up in a medical family and was privy to lots of medical "stuff" I never thought of the metal reinforcing parts in a delicate manner because, as Addie first said, they are there to reinforce and strengthen the body's skeletal foundation.

I, too, am one of the many who is quite intimate with titanium parts and am grateful they exist.

Having taken care of many pins and hip surgeries, I do know the differences. My BIL actually has a squeak in his walk from his hip surgery. You know where he is in the house at all times.

Having taken care of many pins and hip surgeries, I do know the differences. My BIL actually has a squeak in his walk from his hip surgery. You know where he is in the house at all times.

I know what you mean, PF. Since I've had my knee replaced, there's no way I can sneak up on someone.:LOL: There's an audible "pop" that happens when I bend it. I asked the doc about it and he said it was normal and not to worry about it...so I don't.

I know what you mean, PF. Since I've had my knee replaced, there's no way I can sneak up on someone.:LOL: There's an audible "pop" that happens when I bend it. I asked the doc about it and he said it was normal and not to worry about it...so I don't.

I'll be having a knee looked at soon...wonder if I can pick the sound effect I want:ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom