Pinterest/Springpad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I know a number of people on DC are already on Pinterest, but is anyone on Springpad?

I just joined springpad yesterday and am finding it a million times better than Pinterest even though they are very similar in many ways.

What I really like about Springboard is that you can share your stuff with everyone, no one, or selected people. So for something like Discusscooking someone could make a Springpad board for recipes and then add DC members who would like to contribute and it would be like our own private collaborative recipe collection.

It is not limited to recipes though. You can use it as a personal organizer. It is kind of hard to explain until you start playing with it and it does take a little more time than Pinterest to set up, but only because it has more options which is a very good thing.

Check it out at Springpad.

Here is the link to the DC Cookbook that I created.

DC on Springpad

By the way, I am making the rock candy from my link with my kids this weekend. They have been looking forward to this all week.

Awesome Kayelle! I am having a blast on here so far. If you want to be able to add things to the DC board then PM me your email address and I will add you. Same goes for anyone else who would like to be able to add things to the DC board.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome, I will get you set up right away.

And for anyone interested or a little confused about what Springpad is and how you can use it I just came across this great video. It is a half an hour long. I have only watched the first 2 minutes of it so far, but I saw enough to know it is well worth it to share here. It is an interview with the CEO and co-founder (I think) and he uses cooking and recipes as his examples.

If Evernote and Pinterest had a baby: Springpad - YouTube

And I don't know how, but one of my notebooks (Ideas To Remember) made it onto their Spotlight which means it is on the very first page when you go to "Explore" to find other things on Springpad. My inbox has not stopped dinging all day because I am getting a notification every time someone follows my notebook. Right now I have gone from 0 to about 280 in 10 hours.

Yikes! I haven't even mastered Pinterest yet! Obviously, I must sign up for this! Will look for the iPad app.

Thanks, GB!

Last edited:
The iPad app is great, but I am having one major issue with it. I have had much better luck with the iPhone app believe it or not. I hope it works for you.

I just found out that once you join I just need your username or your email address so if someone wants to join but does not want to give out their email address to me then you can sign up for Springpad first and then just give me the username you made there and that is enough to get you permissions to add and remove content.

The addon is just another way to access your Springpad stuff. It puts a button on the top right of your browser (at least in FF). When you click it you get quick access to all your folders and springs and can also add things through there.

Alix, yes you can edit to add pictures (and video and other things) at any time. Other people can add remove or edit things you put in the dc board as well. I added a picture to your lemon bar recipe. You can change if you don't want it there.

I have joined and followed, but it is going to take me a long time to figure this all out. I will start posting as soon as I am more familiar with it all.

Are we able to post original content? or just web based? I can't seem to find a way to add MY recipes.

I see PF was able to post a recipe but I still have no clue what I am doing so I think I am going to opt out at least for the time being.

I have lots on my plate with still dealing with grief and "Dad things", my pain clinic, total fatigue, and admitting brain function and physical strength are (and will continue to be) getting worse.

For a one time web developer it is something for me to admit I can't figure a site out! And I say that as a positive! :)

Once you are in, there is an Add bar on the top right. Click on that, then choose what in particular you would like to add to that notebook. On the DC one, scroll down til you find Recipe then choose Manually add recipe. You fill in the title, then hit Manually add. After that you just write out the recipe, or if you're like me c&p from your files.

Its pretty easy once you play for a bit. The photo bit is a bit tougher. I'm still working that out.

Are we able to post original content? or just web based? I can't seem to find a way to add MY recipes.
Yes you can post anything you like, original, non original, recipes, photos, music, videos, notes, random ideas, books, lists, appointment's, alarms, and anything else you can think of.

There are a number of different ways to do it and I am still learning them, but one way is when you are in a notebook you will see a search box on the top right. They call it the smart bar or something like that because it is more robust than the usual search bar. You type something in and it will search springpad or the web and will either find what you wanted or let you manually create a note. If it finds what you were looking for then it will try to recognize what it is and set up the form with options related to that choice. For instance, if you typed bolgnese sauce it would recognize that it was a recipe and give me the ingredients and directions fields. If I typed Hunger Games it would recognize it as a book or movie and give you amazon or rotten tomato reviews and links to purchase the book or movie tickets.

I am still very much in learning mode too so as I learn new tricks I will try to share them and if anyone has questions you can ask them here and I am sure collectively we can figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom