"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-20-2008, 02:07 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Estate taxes are based on the monetary value of the estate's assets.

If your estate has a value of $10 million, the state and federal governments will take a share of that for taxes. Who gets what's left of the $10 million is determined by the will.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:16 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

I would strongly advise that no one depart without leaving a Will. It can be as simple or as complex as you deem necessary, but don’t leave home without it! Dieing without a Will can be a can of worms, expensive, a possibly drawn out longer than needed! It is much easier, less complicated, and less expensive for the family if you have a Will.

You should appoint/nominate someone as the Executor of your estate…Wife, husband, son, or daughter, nearest living relative or anyone else of your choosing…You should also name a backup/secondary Executor if the first person is unwilling or unable to serve. You should waive all bond, inventory, and accounting to the Executor….They should be directed to pay all probated claims (bills), funeral expenses and any taxes due from the estate (Mostly real estate) after your death…Then you should leave all of your real and personal property to whomever you wish. Normally to your spouse, or to your children share and share alike…You can also insert here that if you have a child who has predeceased you, then their share of your estate will go to his heirs (spouse, children etc)
You should request that your executor honor any memoranda (Codicil) that you leave written in your own handwriting, signed, and dated on or after the date of the will. This will allow you at a future date to add a bequeath (give to) to someone…Example...I want my granddaughter Susie to have my hand quilted pink and blue blanket.. I want my niece Mary to have my Crystal punch bowl...etc. etc. etc. Write it in your own hand writing. Sign, and date it…Keep this and any other memoranda with your will.

Mostly just have a will…go to an attorney in your State/jurisdiction and tell them what you want. They can best advise you, and put everything in the proper legal form

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:30 PM   #13
Master Chef

Excellent advice!
Old 06-20-2008, 02:35 PM   #14
Executive Chef

dh and i have wills and living wills. He keeps me updated on the financial stuff, you would not believe the database he created for this, what a computer nerd!

Daddy was cremated 20 years ago, mom will be also. This is heavy on our minds because she can go any minute. There will be no service when mom dies, per her demand. Us kids will have our own service by the Rio Grande in New Mexico. Daddy always had a special feeling for Taos, where my sister lives, so their ashes will be laid there.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:39 PM   #15
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Yeah, what Uncle Bob said!

I found out a few years ago that although I did not know it, my upbringing came with a price tag. My dad dies when I was 23 (I'm a bunch beyond that now). My mom has contracted Alzheimer's and cannot make decisions for herself. Prior to this she did not give health care proxies to anyone. This is another point that thould be addressed. Since I am an only child, it is somewhat easier. It still feel svery funny. She went to the hospital the other night for bleeding (She's OK, just something minor) and they called me at 9:30 at night to ask if I wanted a DNR (Do Not Recessitate). It blew me away. There's lots to go with all this, since mom had remarried (He is deceased) and my step brother decided to do an identity theft on her, but that does not cover wills. Just making the point that health care proxies are also important.

Wills didtribute your property. I agree that estate taxes are not changes by wills, but, I have heard, no tverified, that if you do not have a will, then the state you lived in may cut themselves in for a share of any cash left.

Please take all the advixe in this thread and get a will / living will/ and a health care proxy.

Don't let your kids end up where I am. - AC
Old 06-20-2008, 02:48 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adillo303 View Post
Please take all the advixe in this thread and get a will / living will/ and a health care proxy.

Don't let your kids end up where I am. - AC
You're right. Living Wills, Health Care Proxies and Powers of Attorney are all simple documents to execute and are IMO very important to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adillo303 View Post

Wills didtribute your property. I agree that estate taxes are not changes by wills, but, I have heard, no tverified, that if you do not have a will, then the state you lived in may cut themselves in for a share of any cash left.
If you die without a will, the state designates an administrator for the estate. The administrator is paid from the proceeds of the estate. This is often the case with a will, though too (the executor often gets paid). The state can't just take your money.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:01 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

This first paragraph here should calm any fears about Federal Estate taxes...Well for most of us anyway!

Estate Taxes - Resource Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennyemma
This is often the case with a will, though too (the executor often gets paid).
You may state in your will a specified amount (most people do not) or you can allow the Executor to charge your estate any reasonable fees that he or she may sustain while carring out the duties as executor. Most family members "charge' nothing...unless it is a substantial amount.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:02 PM   #18
Master Chef

Do you think do it yourself wills are any good ? I mean for people who don't have much to bequeath .
Old 06-20-2008, 03:14 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

My thinking is you need a Will regardless of the size of your estate. It can be very, very simple...Name an executor, and give all of your real and personal property to someone(s) Not sure what you mean by "do it yourself" but an attorney will do a simple Will very reasonably...It's worth the expense for it to be "right"

Old 06-20-2008, 03:19 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
Do you think do it yourself wills are any good ? I mean for people who don't have much to bequeath .
nope......you may think that you don't have much but the state is going to say differently....get a lawyer.....

Uncle Bob, my hat is off to you.......thanks for the great adivice........please, y'all get a legal will in place.......it's the kindest most loving gesture that you can pass on to your spouse or significant other (if there is one) and your family members....... My family today is torn up by my greedy gritch sister......never would have thought in a million years,,,,,,,,,,but there you go...........had my father had a will it would have turned out so differently....