"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-20-2008, 03:32 PM   #21
Master Chef

and none of us thought that Dad had much......well the sale of his father's land turned out to be 50,000 for his share and the witch told no one. She inherited it all.....only found out after the fact 10 years later.........it wouldn't have happened had there been a will in place,,,,,,,cause my dad would have wanted all of us to share respectively anything he left behind.....just didn't count on Miss Greedy Guch..........

Old 06-20-2008, 03:39 PM   #22
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Expat - I hear you. My father was one of four brothers. When the last of their parents died the arguing and caniving started and Dan disowned tow of his brothers.

One traveled over 300 miles to see Dad the night before surgery that he never recovered from. Dad threw him out. I was so sorry. Lost Dad - Many yearrs later, I can't find his brothers to know if they are alive.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:40 PM   #23
Head Chef

My husband and I had a will and a trust set up several years ago. He died in 2005 and I inherited everything, tax free and no probate.
My kids are now the heirs to my estate and will share equally. (My grandkids will receive a monetary sum). No one will pay inheritance tax, and no one will pay probate costs. The trust is all important. The will tells who gets what. The trust gives it to them tax free.

My husband's brother died 6 months after he did and my two children, 2 grandchildren and I inherited a million dollars plus. Not one cent is taxable to us and nothing went to probate. The entire estate was disbursed with 8 months. The attorney of course, got a bundle for executing the trust. SEE A LAWYER ABOUT SETTING UP A TRUST.

As for our remains, hubby was cremated and I will be too.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:50 PM   #24
Master Chef

was there a will??? My dad didn't have one and boy did that raise all kinds of crazy questions...........you know ....dumb me when my dad finally came out of his mental fog I asked him if he preferred Linda over the rest of us
because that's the name was on the inurance poilicy (these companies want one name in cade you don't know) he was hurt........hell, no, debbie, that money is for all of you kids...........I told my sister this and we got a very nasty phone call from her husband later on to butt out of their business. This is when we should have hired a lawyer and didn't.........no only did this woman make off with thousands in assets but she then had the nerve to try and go around our backs and disparage our names in front of others.....the woman is sick.........what can I say.......luckily I was able to circumvent her tactics with surviving family members,,,,,,,they know the true story........
Old 06-20-2008, 03:51 PM   #25
Master Chef

Just because there is a will , does not mean no problems. Late BIL had a will , bequeathing to 4 people. Before they could get the money, hubby had to sell his brother's house and a bar BIL owned but late BIL did not pay his taxes and was years behind on debts ! So.. 3 years of taxes had to be paid before hubby could even sell anything to get the money for the inheritors. It was a monumental headache for hubby, as he was the executor of the estate.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:52 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
Since we have had such a huge loss here at DC with Buck's passing, the topic of how our loved ones go on has been on everyone's mind. I was thinking this might be good for us to discuss things we can do to make it easier on those we leave behind when we go. If you've lost someone with or without a will, can you share your experiences handling the paperwork, etc., after they passed? Those that have a will, could you share with us your experiences with finding the right attorney, etc? Also, does anyone leave directions for what they want as far as a funeral or a cremation, etc?

Before he passed, my dear late brother wanted to be creamated. He told his 2nd wife and two boys this.

And it was done. His wife has his cremated remains in an urn. She gave some of my brothers and myself some of his stuff, such as clothing, watches, jewlery, etc..

The rest, she kept unless his best friend wanted some of the stuff as well.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:53 PM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
My husband and I had a will and a trust set up several years ago. He died in 2005 and I inherited everything, tax free and no probate.
My kids are now the heirs to my estate and will share equally. (My grandkids will receive a monetary sum). No one will pay inheritance tax, and no one will pay probate costs. The trust is all important. The will tells who gets what. The trust gives it to them tax free.

My husband's brother died 6 months after he did and my two children, 2 grandchildren and I inherited a million dollars plus. Not one cent is taxable to us and nothing went to probate. The entire estate was disbursed with 8 months. The attorney of course, got a bundle for executing the trust. SEE A LAWYER ABOUT SETTING UP A TRUST.

As for our remains, hubby was cremated and I will be too.
DramaQueen, you will sounds like mine, Girlfriend........
Old 06-20-2008, 03:56 PM   #28
DC Grandma

When we were planning a trip back to N.C. I told Paul we wern't going unless we had everything prepaid so the boys wouldn't have to worry. He said "OK, go do it" I did...then when he was in the nursing home with a broken leg and I fell in his room and had to have the hip replacement I asked John to go see a Elder Law attourney (sp?) he did and when we both were discharged we four went down. When Kevin was asked if he trusted his brother he said " with my life" since Kevin can't inherit ( sp) anything without the State of Ca. taking it...he is on SSI and medical) it all was to go to John. Now it passes down to John's wife. some serious thinking has to be done now.
When Paul passed all I needed to put things in my name ( or I should say The Helms family trust" was a death certefic.(sp?)
this pc of my nieces doesn't have a spell checker...she is a school teacher and doesn't need one...I really could use one now.
Marge

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 03:59 PM   #29
Master Chef

this is the way the lawyers can set it up.....we're not supposed to pay a cent to Texas.......get a lawyer.....it's worth it
Old 06-20-2008, 04:13 PM   #30
Master Chef

My parents set up a trust and had the funeral home, plots, headstones, etc all prepaid. They cashed in their life insurance policies and prepaid all the funeral expenses. By setting up the trust, and having a will, things were fairly simple when Mom died. We made a few changes to the funeral stuff. Parents had paid to use the funeral home chapel for services and limos to and from cemetary. We decided to have private service at graveside in AM followed by memorial service at her church in PM. Dad got back some money that he had paid for those services. He also got back some money since opening and closing the grave was not as expensive as predicted when they prepaid. Shortly after she died, we met with a lawyer and had a will drawn up with power of attorney, and medical directives attached. We haven't purchased plots yet, (Hubby wants cremation, I don't care since I won't be here!).