"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-21-2008, 08:53 AM   #41
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adillo303 View Post
Expat - I hear you. My father was one of four brothers. When the last of their parents died the arguing and caniving started and Dan disowned tow of his brothers.

One traveled over 300 miles to see Dad the night before surgery that he never recovered from. Dad threw him out. I was so sorry. Lost Dad - Many yearrs later, I can't find his brothers to know if they are alive.
sorry I missed this Adillo.....can certainly feel for you and none of us either have talked to Linda since......but I hear that her daughter who is so $$$ conscious has bragged to others how much her mother got.......hope she enjoys it .......none of her family will talk to her.........

Old 06-21-2008, 10:16 AM   #42
Executive Chef

That happened to my Dad his half brother got to my Grandmother while she was senile to make him executer of her assets. She had a lot my Dad was to get half and he knew who got what buildings etc and he told me my brother and I would split his when he died. Needless to say his brother kept everythingand his kids totally ransacked her house. It really broke my Dads heart to hafto tell us we would get nothing from that deal.
So what dos it entail to make a trust how dos it work? I don't how the state can tax you on all the things youv'e all ready paid taxes on. Jeez

Old 06-21-2008, 11:20 AM   #43
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
expatgirl - I believe in a higher power that watches us all. I believe that in the end things will be set straight. Many of us seem to have these kinds of things happen. "Ill gotten gain does not do anyone any good."

jpmcgrew - Best answer is to see a lawyer, it's all very specific.

AC
Old 06-21-2008, 11:35 AM   #44
Sous Chef

Trusts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
So what dos it entail to make a trust how dos it work? I don't how the state can tax you on all the things youv'e all ready paid taxes on. Jeez
There are different types of trusts. Designated assets of the deceased are placed in a trust. Cash is usually converted to investments. Assets such as real estate may be held, especially if the property is income producing. The spouse or another designated person is generally the income beneficiary meaning they will benefit from the income the trust produces and pays. This income is taxable to the beneficiary who received the payment.

A trust company or trust department from the bank holds the assets and their trustees call the shots and generally have a great deal of power, depending on the trust instrument.

That's the 2-minute answer.

They are expensive to set up and expensive to maintain. If you're thinking of a trust be absolutely certain you understand the pros and cons.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:52 AM   #45
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adillo303 View Post
expatgirl - I believe in a higher power that watches us all. I believe that in the end things will be set straight. Many of us seem to have these kinds of things happen. "Ill gotten gain does not do anyone any good."

jpmcgrew - Best answer is to see a lawyer, it's all very specific.

AC
Our is set up that anything and everything of DH goes to me and vise/versa. We have most of in both our names and on others I am beneficiary. After that if we both are gone it all gos to his son. I believe the will names each other as executor. Also we both want cremation and do not resuscitate as well. I'm thinking it's pretty iron clad with the notary and three other witnesses. The one thing I have not been able to do is to get him to write down what he wants done with his massive rifle etc collection I'm sure he has friends who would like to have this or that.
On a lighter note DH actually wants his body thrown to the coyotes and other scavengers as he a big time hunter etc. He says he at least owes them that much. Although I don't think I can pull that one off.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:12 PM   #46
Master Chef

There are no estate taxes in Illinois if the amount of the estate is under 2 million dollars. Also, if the attorney prepares the will properly, it does not have to be probated.
States vary greatly in these laws, so you should check with your attorney about what the laws are in your state.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:25 PM   #47
Master Chef

I heard a poem once that expresses how I want my remains handled. I can't remember one line, but the rest goes like this:

When I die, bury me deep...
And plant a rose between my feet...
????????????????????????
As the toes goes, the rose grows.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:52 PM   #48
Master Chef

cute.........constance.......when your'e gone you're gone......just make it easier for your heirs if you can ...........
Old 06-21-2008, 08:16 PM   #49
Head Chef

Patti Tana wrote my funeral plan--I only had to change one word from her original.

Post Humus

Scatter my ashes in my garden
so I can be near my loves.
Say a few honest words,
sing a gentle song,
join hands in a circle of flesh.
Please tell some stories
about me making you laugh.
I love to make you laugh.

when I've had time to settle
and green gathers into buds,
remember I love blossoms
bursting in spring.
As the season ripens
remember my persistent passion.

And if you come in my garden
on an August afternoon,
pluck a bright red globe,
let juice run down your chin
and the seeds stick to your cheek.

When I'm dead I want folks to smile
and say, "That Sparrow, she sure is
some tomato!"

from Ask the Dreamer Where Night Begins: Poems & Postscripts (1986); reprinted in
When I Am an Old Woman I Shall Wear Purple (Papier-Mache Press, 1987) Ed. Sandra Martz
and Make Your Way Across This Bridge: New & Selected Writings (2003)
Old 06-22-2008, 01:36 AM   #50
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I just found this site, MyStateWill.com : Intestacy Calculators show what happens without a will, which has a calculator to see what the spouse and kids will get if you die without a will. I tried a few different states with our information (living spouse, two kids). I checked about 10. Most were about the same, showing the spouse getting half of what the estate is worth and the two kids each getting a fourth. California split it evenly between the spouse and two kids. Interesting. Of course, this doesn't get into the taxes, etc. The site does mention specific laws pertaining to each state.

Barbara