Planning trip to NY question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SizzlininIN said:
So its more of a pastry place then? I was thinking it served entrees. Where should I go for great affordable Italian entrees (lunch or dinner)?

Go down to Little Italy and walk along Mulberry and Mott and stop at any of them that tickle your fancy. They will have menus posted outside and possibly outside seating if the weather is nice. All are fun and extremely affordable.

Definetely walk over to Ferraras for pastry and torrone when you are done.

South Street Seaport has dining and shopping. You can catch entertainment there on certain days. My boyfriend and I use to go grap lunch there and eat on one of the lounge chairs overlooking the water on his lunch break. There is also a museum there. This website will give you further information. South Street Seaport Museum It is a very short walk from Wall Street. There is a place called Backyard Chicken on Pearl (if I remember right), we use to grab a roasted chicken with sides and then walk a few blocks to the water and eat there. I'm not sure if visiting to NY that would be one of the top places on my list of things to do, but when I was living there it was one of my favorite places to go and hang out.

Lower East Side and Times Square Area

Thanks for the advice/tips Vera and abj.....it really is helping me a great deal.

Besides Katz's what else is on the lower east side of things you would recommend to see or do?

We want to experience the night life too. We don't want something extremely crowded. We're pretty open to music. Something we can get up and slow dance to and some fast dancing mixed in. Is that possible on a Sunday through Tuesday trip?

Lower East Side -- Russ and Daughters (foodie shop, lots of smoked fish)
The Pickle Guy, the Tenament Museum.

IMO the lower east side is fascinating, but may not be th ebest destination spot for a first trip to NYC. IMO better to include it on a walking tour of lower Manahattan (along with the East Village, the Village, SoHo, perhaps ).

South Street Seaport is a mall-kinda thing like Faneuil Hall in Boston and the Inner Harbor in Baltimore. Also more of something you might want to include as part of a walking tour but maybe not as a destination spot.

It's a pretty easy walk from Little Italy/Chinatown, through TriBeCa to WTC, past City Hall and the courthouses where they film Law and Order. Lots of very cool architecture. After you have walked around the WTC site, you can tour the World Financial center and the Esplanade and/or go shopping at Century 21.

Thanks Jenny! I'm just trying to plan out things to do in each area. I think most of our time will be spent in the midtown area but I still want to venture out to other areas too. I thought one day we could head to the upper and another the lower.....so thus trying to see what all to do in these areas.

Sizz, are you in a New York State of Mind yet? How are your plans going?

Unfort., the trip is on hold. At first we spent a portion of the money on our newest additon Max and decided that he was worth more than the trip..... well then we thought no way we're going. Well now its on hold again because I start a new job in a few weeks and it'll be 30 + days of orientation. I have a one year grace period where I can't miss any days or else they can let me go.....after that it takes pretty much an act of congress to get rid of ya ;) .

We are going.....just don't know when yet. All the information everyone supplied me is safely tucked away and waiting for me to unlease it...... I have my itenerary all laid out so hopefully all that will still be able to fall into place and the place we were going to stay is still up and running and the prices still very reasonable for the area.

Thanks for asking!

Siz, This thread was like reading a good book, couldn't wait till you got back to hear about your trip! What a let down, poopy-doo :(. Now I can't wait until you tell us you are going again - lol - Great thread I was all excited for you !! Till next time !! :) Barb

Last edited:
Welcome to my world............ :LOL: . I should learn not to get too excited about anything until it actually happens. It'll happen still but this time I'll keep it on the low keel till I actually return ;) . Who's to say maybe my nurse manager will be a dear and let me have a several days off in a row and DH and I can just go for a 2 day trip....I just know I'll need at least 4 days in a row off to be able to do this though is the thing.

Well one good thing is that anyone planning a trip will have loads of information and they can add their adventure, tips, etc.... to this thread.

Siz: I'm so sorry you're not making the trip! I was looking forward to meeting you! :( Ah well, all things in time.

Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom