Planning trip to NY question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
Ok.....I'm very confused and not having much luck with google or I'm just not seeing what I want.

The confusion is this......Is Midtown and Times Square the same? If not, what the heck is Midtown and what does it consist of?

Reason I'm trying to find out is because we want to book our hotel near Times Square so that we can be within walking distance of all the great sites.

Thanks!

Times Square is at West 43rd Street and Broadway. According to a map it's around midtown but New Yorkers have a much better understanding of what midtown really means.

The good thing about NYC is that the streets and in numerical order so you can tell how many blocks away something is by doing the math, as long as you stay on the same cross street.

I'm sure you'll get a better answer soon.

You could also look at a Mapquest map to get an idea where things are.

Oh, not a New Yorker but I love NY. Geographically I'm would guess Times Square to be about midtown, but like Andy M. said, I'm sure you'll get some help with that question. I wanted to suggest for you to get the all day subway pass. I can't remember what it is called but you can get one at the subway stations. Much cheaper if you plan on getting on and off the subways several times a day.

Times Square is in midtown. You will be in walking distance of many things. That is where I suggest you stay if you want to be in the middle of it all.

SizzlininIN said:
Ok.....I'm very confused and not having much luck with google or I'm just not seeing what I want.

The confusion is this......Is Midtown and Times Square the same? If not, what the heck is Midtown and what does it consist of?

Reason I'm trying to find out is because we want to book our hotel near Times Square so that we can be within walking distance of all the great sites.

Thanks!

Sizz, Times Square is on 42nd St. (where you see the Ball come down on New Year's Eve), on the West side. As I recall the Broadway shows are not far. The streets go numerically -- so I considered the 50's to be 'Midtown.' Numerically - downtown is the lower #s -Uptown is the higher #s. Times Square use to be a bad area (derelict movie theatres & souvenier shops), BUT - I haven't been back in awhile, & 'The City' is always changing. You would be 'centrally' located & have access to cabs, buses & the subway. Bring tennis shoes, you'll be dong a lot of walking. I mentioned Frommer's because it's right on the mark for recommendations for hotels/restaurants, etc. Some landmarks I recall to help with #s/areas of Manhattan & the subway stops:

Delancy St - Lower East side

Katz's Delicatessan - Lower East Side -E Houston St - Katz's - New York, NY ("I'll have what she's having", LOL)

Greenwich Village (West 4th St) - shops, restaurants, etc.

Chinatown: New York City Chinatown > Manhattan

34th Street - Macy's (Hi-end dept stores), etc. - shopping (Remember Miracle on 34th St?)

34th St & (Fifth Ave?) - The Empire State bldg. - Look up - you can't miss it, lol Check out the observatory hours & restrictions.

42nd St - Times Square ("Give My Regards to Broadway, remember me to Herald square...")

Radio City Music Hall - On 6th Ave. - Between 50th & 51st St.

St. Patrick's Cathedral - 50th Street and Fifth Ave, just across the street from Rockefeller Center

59th St & Columbus Circle - Use to be one of the entrances to Central Park (You can walk from the west side to the east side thru the Park - in the upper 60s-70s, or take the bus/cab). Walk to The Boathouse, past Bethesda Fountain - rent a boat & row around the Park. Take a carriage ride around CP.

The Plaza Hotel - on the corner of Fifth Ave. & Central Park South (around 58th or 59th st) (Take a walk down Fifth or Madison Aves. - away from the Park)

Rockefeller Center - around 47th-50th st.

Lincoln Center - Upper West Side, between West 62nd and 65th Streets and Columbus and Amsterdam Avenues.

72nd St - The Dakota (pic that I posted), subway stop & across the st from Central Park (Upper West side)

The Guggenheim Museum - Upper East side (88th st)? (You can get the exact address w a google, etc.)

161st St or 169th St (Where Yankee Stadium was/is?) Welcome to the Bronx LOL

125th St. - Harlem

Depending on which train your on - the subway will go on from the Bronx to Brooklyn - Coney Island (Nathan's)

The Statue of Liberty - If you don't feel up to walking all the stairs - I think you can hook up w the Staten Island Ferry (nominal charge or free?), & see it from the water. (I walked to the top, LOL.) The desk person & brochures at the desk will give directions.

Again, haven't been back in a long time. Hope that helps somewhat, geographically. Have a great trip.

P.S. If your on the Upper West Side (near CPW & the Dakota), could you wake up my doorman. (He's probably still asleep.):LOL:

Last edited:
Sizz, we went up in November for the Macy's Thanksgiving parade and stayed near Times Square. Others have given you great tips and links and I would be happy to provide any other info if you don't find it in those.

You will be within walking distance of plenty of stuff - Radio City Music Hall, Fifth Avenue, Rockefeller Center. From our hotel (50th and Broadway) it was about a $10 cab ride down to lower Manhattan (Ground Zero).

Have a great time!

We both grew up in NYC (Brooklyn and the Bronx) and yes, Times Square is definitely in midtown.

If there are any boundaries to the place have never heard of them.

Two things youhave to do when there is eat the pizza and go to Chinatown.

There are many fantastic restaurants and shopping places, and the usual tourist attractions. But we almost never go back but when we do it is for the pizza and Chinatown.

Anything else is a lagniappe.

"All" the great sites are by no means in Times Square, so it all depends upon what you mean by "great sites!" The only one I can think of that is near Times Square is the Empire State Building... and while that is a great site for sure, so also are The Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, The Brroklyn Bridge, Gound Zero, Central Park, The Bronx Zoo, The Brooklyn Botanic Garden, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Lincoln Center (don't miss a tour of their auditoriums, called the "Jewel Boxes"), none of which are walking distance from Times Square.

When are you planning to visit? ;)

ChefJune said:
"All" the great sites are by no means in Times Square, so it all depends upon what you mean by "great sites!" The only one I can think of that is near Times Square is the Empire State Building... and while that is a great site for sure, so also are The Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, The Brroklyn Bridge, Gound Zero, Central Park, The Bronx Zoo, The Brooklyn Botanic Garden, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Lincoln Center (don't miss a tour of their auditoriums, called the "Jewel Boxes"), none of which are walking distance from Times Square.

When are you planning to visit? ;)

I agree, there are countless sites in the city and one person's best site can easily be eliminated from someone else's to do list. I understand the Top of the Rock is supposed to have a spectacular view. A boat cruise up the Hudson (or just around the city) is a great way to see everything.

It's so easy to get around in NYC. There's always the subway and the yellow cabs, so nothing is really hard to get to.

For quintessential NY fare, don't miss Katz Deli, the place where Meg Ryan became famous in When Harry Met Sally. It's got the best pastrami in the world (3-inch thick pastrami wedged between bread slices)! It's on East Houston St.

Also I find hotdogs from any NY hotdog stand delicious! But if you want a famous one, go to Gray's Papaya on Broadway.

Mario Batali's Babbo's is great Italian fine dining.

I don't know where you can get great pizza in NYC, but I'm sure Buckytom does!

Chopstix said:
It's so easy to get around in NYC. There's always the subway and the yellow cabs, so nothing is really hard to get to.

For quintessential NY fare, don't miss Katz Deli, the place where Meg Ryan became famous in When Harry Met Sally. It's got the best pastrami in the world (3-inch thick pastrami wedged between bread slices)! It's on East Houston St.

Also I find hotdogs from any NY hotdog stand delicious! But if you want a famous one, go to Gray's Papaya on Broadway.

Mario Batali's Babbo's is great Italian fine dining.

I don't know where you can get great pizza in NYC, but I'm sure Buckytom does!

I believe the best pizza in NYC is at Lombardi's, down in Little Italy. It's the first pizzaria in the country.

Wow..........thanks everyone! Now off to do some research and start my plans. Mish....you really provided a lot of information I can't thank you enough I know that took some time to compile. Oh and I'll be sure to wake your doorman if I'm in the area and tell him you said hello:LOL:

Chef June.......we're pretty sure we've decided to come in April. We were going to in May for our anniversary but decided April is better.

Thanks again everyone!

NYC is a very walkable city if you are into that.

Times Sq. is very touristy and loud and has lost a lot of it's "charm" now that the big chain stores and the humongous Red Lobster has invaded .... It's full of stuff you can find anywhere but is near the theatres. You can walk to Lincon Center and Macy's and Koreatown and the Empire St. buliding from there pretty easily.

There are sooooo many cool places to explore in NYC away from midtown.

Things I would recommend seeing in Manhattan: the Village, TriBeCa, SoHo, Battery Park City, the Flatiron Building, the Brooklyn Bridge (go to the Bridge Cafe for drinks -- ok, that's not in Manhattan), the Staten Island ferry (free tour of the harbor), upper west side and Zabars, Chinatown, Little India, Central Park ..... there are too many to list.

Well now I'm beginning to think maybe staying in a hotel in the Times Square area isn't the best thing?

Here are some things we for sure want to do:
Empire State Building
Statue of Liberty
Brooklyn Bridge
Macy's
Broadway
Radio City Music Hall
Central Park
Ellis Island
Staten Island Ferry
Little Italy
Katz's Deli
Chinatown

Now if that means we stay somewhere else in New York we are more than happy to hop in a cab to go see these things.

So if you have suggestions of where else to stay then please share and tell me what they have to offer around that area as far as things to do and see.

I just want it to be a fun trip as we haven't done anything remotely like this ever :)

Last edited:
Hey, we are also planing trip to NY, but in August. I think my wife already made reservations for the hotel, we stayed there last year. I think we were about 72, or 73 -rd, street. It's a bit away, but lot more cheapper too. And the subway is an atraction in it self, so it was fun to go places.

Chef June.......we're pretty sure we've decided to come in April. We were going to in May for our anniversary but decided April is better.
April is usually a lovely time to be in Manhattan!

I noticed "Little Italy" on your list of "Must See's" and I have to say you are almost certain to be disappointed. Chinatown has all but taken over what once was Little Italy! Arthur Avenue in the Bronx or Bensonhurst in Brooklyn will have what you're hoping to find in Little Italy. and sadly, other than DiPalo's store (not an eat-in) I never go there anymore. The restaurants in that area are all 2nd-rate at best, and mostly far worse. Not saying don't go, just be forewarned!

I think the best pizza in New York (Manhattan) is Original Ray's, and it's nothing more than a stand where you buy slices! John's Pizzaria in the village (I think Bleecker Street) has very authentic New York Style pizza, and Patsy's in Brooklyn, also.

Patsy's Restaurant on West 56th is a great place to experience the old-timey New York Italian dining experience, imo.

I totally agree about "Little Italy" being disappointing, but if you are going to Chinatown, you might as well hop over Canal Street -- although I would suggest traveling south and walking past the courthouses over to Battery Park City or Battery Park or east to the bridge or the South Street Seaport. I probably wouldn't make a special trip there.

I was up to Arthur Avenue a few weeks ago and IMO it's not all that enchanting either. I did score some excellent Pecorino Romano for about $4.

A fun foodie thing might be to take the subway to Brighton Beach and see all the Russian stores and restaurants and then walk down the boardwalk to Coney Island. It's a fun and scenic little journey.

You guys are awesome. You should see my list of pros and cons and places and so on...... this is going to be such a fun trip for us. Not psyched on the whole flying thing but it'll be well worth it.

Back
Top Bottom