Plans for Dec 21, 2012

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hoot

Executive Chef
Moderator Emeritus
The Labor Day thread got me to thinkin'.....
Y'all may have heard about the Mayan calendar and the gloom and doom associated with the date.
We are planning a two day get together. The first day we will be living it up in case it does come to pass....The next day we will be living it up because it didn't. :LOL:

Last edited:
The Labor Day thread got me to thinkin'.....
Y'all may have heard about the Mayan calendar and the gloom and doom associated with the date.
We are planning a two day get together. The first day we will be living it up in case it does come to pass....The next day we will be living it up because it didn't. :LOL:

Good planning there! I'll have to consider that myself! Not sure who to invite. Maybe the first day celebrate with those you can't stand thinking this is the last I'll ever have to put up with them then the next day you can invite all those you love thinking this is why I'm glad I'm still here!

Good planning there! I'll have to consider that myself! Not sure who to invite. Maybe the first day celebrate with those you can't stand thinking this is the last I'll ever have to put up with them then the next day you can invite all those you love thinking this is why I'm glad I'm still here!
That plan has possibilities!

Hoot,

WOW ... 21st December seems like such a long way off ... I had lived in Mexico for one year many years ago ... Fascinating historically ... This is normally our last day of work until January 8th ( 6th is The 3 Wise Men or The 3 Kings, as they say in Spain ) ... So, plans for family reunion for 24th ...

*** Interesting post ... Maybe we shall go to Rivera Maya ...

Kindest. Margi.

I'll most likely do what I did on the night of 31 Dec 1999: Slice up some crusty bread, prepare a meat and cheese tray; pour myself a BIG glass of the most expensive wine in my collection; log on to the internet; and patiently wait for the world go to hell in a hand basket!

Last edited:
If I'm home, probably go to bed early. If I'm on vacation...a nice dinner out, some wine, and go to bed late! :LOL:

I can't remember what show I saw it on (I think it was Wife Swap), but it showed a "survivalist" family that fully believes this will happen. They have prepared a shelter so that they can survive it, but the way they are going about it is so wrong. They have been buying cars, furniture, major appliances, etc. on the "don't pay until 2013 (2014, 2015, etc.)" plans because they don't expect those companies to be around after December. I think the wife who swapped managed to talk a little sense into them (she invited experts on the Mayan calendar to talk to them), but can you imagine putting yourself at such financial risk like that? Sheesh. Plus, they kept a countdown on a bulletin board, which didn't exactly make their kids feel very confident.

As for me, just for fun I joined a Facebook "event" called "The day after 12-21-2012." :cool:

Other than that, no big plans. Just wake up and praise God for another day, just like every day. :cool:

Last edited:
I can't remember what show I saw it on (I think it was Wife Swap), but it showed a "survivalist" family that fully believes this will happen. They have prepared a shelter so that they can survive it, but the way they are going about it is so wrong. They have been buying cars, furniture, major appliances, etc. on the "don't pay until 2013 (2014, 2015, etc.)" plans because they don't expect those companies to be around after December. I think the wife who swapped managed to talk a little sense into them (she invited experts on the Mayan calendar to talk to them), but can you imagine putting yourself at such financial risk like that? Sheesh. Plus, they kept a countdown on a bulletin board, which didn't exactly make their kids feel very confident.

As for me, just for fun I joined a Facebook "event" called "The day after 12-21-2012." :cool:

Other than that, no big plans. Just wake up and praise God for another day, just like every day. :cool:
Major appliances? That run on electricity? Did they buy generators? Are they stocking up on gasoline/diesel?

I guess they don't know that the new calendar starts the next day. :LOL:

Winter Solstice, this year, is on 21 December at 11h12 UT (same as Greenwich time), so 16h12 here.

It will be a Friday, so this year's Winter Solstice supper party will be on the solstice. Maybe we will steal Hoot's idea and make it a two day event.

i plan on a vacation with the family in the yucatan.

it's gonna be empty, so i should get a good deal.

Major appliances? That run on electricity? Did they buy generators? Are they stocking up on gasoline/diesel?

I guess they don't know that the new calendar starts the next day. :LOL:

So why did all the calendars cost the same as last years???

Nope, my Page-A-Day goes to the end of the year.

Back
Top Bottom