Plans for Monday - Memorial Day - Cooking ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kadesma said:
... and a strawberry mascarpone tart..kadesma

I NEED to know more about the strawberry mascarpone tart!!! (I may put my strawberry tiramisu on hold :LOL: ).

I have one I saved, that's calling my name. I may try mixing in some kiwis, & using lime juice:

Strawberry Mascarpone Tart

Last edited:
This is the first chance I have had to think about this one. Am going to a cookout on Sunday and will make extra potato salad so we can have some on Monday, along with grilled burgers. Am making the hamburger buns right now.

mish said:
I NEED to know more about the strawberry mascarpone tart!!! (I may put my strawberry tiramisu on hold :LOL: ).

I have one I saved, that's calling my name. I may try mixing in some kiwis, & using lime juice:

Strawberry Mascarpone Tart
Mish, you make a rich tart pastry (have the recipe) and pre-bake it the day before you need it if you want. The filling is 1 c. cold mascarpone cheese,3/4-c. heavy cream,1/4c. confectioners sugar and 1-tea. vanilla beat til stiff peaks form then spread this mixture into the baked tart crust.Melt 3-4 tab. of seedless strawberry or raspberry jelly and then place 20-30 strawberries pointed end UP on the tart filling..Brush each strawberry with the melted jam. Cover and refrigerate til cold..It will stay for up to one day in refrigerator serve nice and cold.
kadesma:)

kadesma said:
Mish, you make a rich tart pastry (have the recipe) and pre-bake it the day before you need it if you want. The filling is 1 c. cold mascarpone cheese,3/4-c. heavy cream,1/4c. confectioners sugar and 1-tea. vanilla beat til stiff peaks form then spread this mixture into the baked tart crust.Melt 3-4 tab. of seedless strawberry or raspberry jelly and then place 20-30 strawberries pointed end UP on the tart filling..Brush each strawberry with the melted jam. Cover and refrigerate til cold..It will stay for up to one day in refrigerator serve nice and cold.

That sounds lovely. Bet the berries have a nice shiney glaze. Thank you! :)

mish said:
That sounds lovely. Bet the berries have a nice shiney glaze. Thank you! :)
Yes, they are beautiful and boy do they taste good...I like the jelly as a glaze and plan to try using it on other fruits for tarts, like apples and apple jelly, brush black berryon blackberries, should work well.

amber said:
Since you asked SurvivorGirl....

Memorial Day is a day of rememberence for those that have passed while serving in the military, and also a day to remember and appreciate those that still serve/or have served in the military. Typically those that served in WW1, WW2, Korean war, Vietnam, and those currently serving in the military and current war. So, if Victoria Day is one in which you honor your military, then yes I guess it's basically the same holiday, just celebrated on a different day. In my town we don't have fireworks, but we do have a parade, and lots of military planes flying overhead, and vets from all the wars they served. Some are so elderly that they cannot walk in the parade so they are provided with a bus through the parade and they wave to the crowd.

well then i guess victoria day isn't the same as memorial day.

victoria day is a day celebrated on the last Monday before or on May 24th in honour of both Queen Victoria's birthday and the current reigningCanadian Sovereign's birthday.

Victoria Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks and same to you and everyone here. Happy Memorial Day!!! Wishing everyone a very safe and enjoyable holiday.;)

Please, whatever you do and however you plan to enjoy the holiday, please don't drink and drive. And make sure that you buckle up, including the precious little ones.:ermm:

I'm going to be cooking tomorrow. Having potato salad, mac & cheese, collard greens, and some buttermilk fried chicken.:chef:

Making a nacho dip, having sherbet for desert and I might make some ice cream, time permitting. I've already started prepping some of the food.:chef:

This weekend has passed too quickly. I wish I had had a chance to plan ahead and gotten a pork butt. :(

Now, I'm not sure what we'll do. Maybe just some grilled chicken, lime/cilantro potato salad - or something - I just don't know.

What do you have in your freezer that you can whip up on such short notice?

Instead of babyback ribs, which I usually cook on the summer holidays, I've decided to pull some chicken from the freezer and do some fried chicken this time.

It's marinating now.

I'll probably have ribs on the fourth of July.

Last edited:
Corey123 said:
What do you have in your freezer that you can whip up on such short notice?

In my freezer? um - vanilla ice cream, lime sherbert, wasabi masago......it will be a run to the grocery store for me. I'm one of those people that cannot function out of my freezer. I wish I could but it has never worked out so I quit stocking it a long time ago.

But, now that you mention it I may run and see if there's something in there I forgot about!

Edited to say I just checked - peas and hotdog buns :mrgreen: Grocery store for me!

Last edited:
My 13 year old son and I are grilling for our family tomorrow, eating out in the patio and swinging in the hammock.

Speaking of ice cream, I threw away some stale vanilla ice cream that was in the freezer for what seemed like eons!

I went to the SM myself. When I got home, I found out that I forgot to pick up some buttermilk to marinate the chicken in. No store around here has it at all!! So I had to improvise and use the powered stuff with some water and sour cream to thicken it slightly.

Then I also forgot the relish for the potato salad, so it was back to the store again! It's a pain in the butt when something keeps being forgotten!!

Found a 13 lb fresh turkey at the local grocery. Yesterday we cut it in half, I froze the innards, backbone, and 1/2 of it. The other half will go on the grill today for friends. Looking forward to it!

Forum must have been running too slow.

Yeah, first time that I heard of anyone cooking turkey parts on the grill. Guess there's a first time for everything!

Boy was it ever running slow. I was only on the computer for a few minutes, and a couple of times I think I did that. Sorry.

Claire said:
Boy was it ever running slow. I was only on the computer for a few minutes, and a couple of times I think I did that. Sorry.
Claire,
that's okay, I've been having the same problem..

I brined some chicken leg quarters then put them on the grill and slathered them with BBQ sauce at the end. We had roasted asparagus, fresh tomatoes and cottage cheese. I wanted some more of the corn on the cob I'd found at the store a few days back but others must of realized how good it was because there wasn't any to be found yesterday so we settled on cottage cheese.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom