"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-31-2008, 10:26 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Plastic vs Glass

I just read in the morning paper that glass is supposedly better to use than plastic. Plastic is too porous. Since the people who wrote are both reputable doctors I am taking their word for it. Anyone have opinions about this? Working at the brewery they always said that cans had definite affect on the beer and that glass or draft was the best when drinking beer. Guess they were right about cans but I don't think they were using much plastic when I worked there. Just curious about your thoughts. Thanks for your time.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:04 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen View Post
I just read in the morning paper that glass is supposedly better to use than plastic.
For what?

I lean towards glass and metals whenever I can.

Just about all drink ware other than glass add flavor and odor to beverages. Especially those containing alcohol.

Many plastics and greases are close in molecular structure making some plastics difficult to clean. I avoid plastic measuring devices though my best measuring cups (1/3 to 1 cup) are plastic.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:09 AM   #3
Executive Chef

My first choice will always be glass, given the option. Dark glass is better than clear glass.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:42 AM   #4
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
I use glass or metal for "wet" things, bread dough, cake mixes, sauces, etc.

I use my plastic measuring cups only for dry measure. I use glass for liquid meassure.

It does seel like greasy things, and things like tomato sauce and raspberries, wines, cherries, etc, can be harder to clean out of plastic.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:42 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

ITK, About your brewery experience, why would draft beer, which comes in a metal keg, be better than beer that comes in a metal can? Personally, I think there's a difference, too, but I don't understand why....
Old 04-01-2008, 08:56 AM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
ITK, About your brewery experience, why would draft beer, which comes in a metal keg, be better than beer that comes in a metal can? Personally, I think there's a difference, too, but I don't understand why....
I think that the kegs are stainless steel. I have a good frined that works in a can plant. The cans are aluminum and they are coated with something, I think plastic. That could account for the difference.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:42 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Maybe..... but I don't think so. I used to be a tin knocker and kegs sure look like aluminum. And they don't seem heavy enough to be SS when empty.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:17 AM   #8
Head Chef

OK - I just aclled my friend that made cans for 35 years. Cans are cleaned and etched, to make the decorations stick. The inside of the can is sprayed with a laquer to prevent metal exposure. So therefore the soada, beer, whatever, never touches the metzal co the can.

This link, would have us believe that they are stainslee. Beer barrels and kegs

I would think that kegs get rough handling, which aluminum would not take. Whatever they are made of, I believe there is liquid to metal contact insode the kwg, which would make it different from the can.

HTN

AC
Old 04-01-2008, 11:04 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Regardless

No matter what beer is put in, doesn't this upset you to know how much plastic we use EVERYday that affects us? Even the water bottles we use when we exercise are plastic. I do buy my milk in bottles but everything else is mostly plastic. It may be more convenient but what does this do to our bodies? My dinner plates aren't plastic, knives and forks but everything else is plastic. Isn't this tupperware some kind of plastic also? well, this ruins my day. Try to maintain your health and only adding to something that could cause trouble after period of time. We already have been told that the local water here used for drinking carries all kind of medicine in it. Of course, the water company tries to deny this. Well, can't live in a bubble would probably be plastic too.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:07 AM   #10
Executive Chef

I have several "professional" storage containers from a "restaraunt store". Food leaves no trace on them, not even tomato sauce. They seal well, go through the dishwasher holding their shape etc. Stackable, qt and liter measures on the side! Good stuff Worth the money. Cheap store containers...after a couple uses toss em.

I have real issues with drinks. Do not like plastic or foam or paper. Glass for most things, white glaze for tea please in cups and mugs, and always a smooth glaze. (I keep coffee and tea mugs separate...I can tell from the taste and or smell.)