Plastic vs Glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
I just read in the morning paper that glass is supposedly better to use than plastic. Plastic is too porous. Since the people who wrote are both reputable doctors I am taking their word for it. Anyone have opinions about this? Working at the brewery they always said that cans had definite affect on the beer and that glass or draft was the best when drinking beer. Guess they were right about cans but I don't think they were using much plastic when I worked there. Just curious about your thoughts. Thanks for your time.

I just read in the morning paper that glass is supposedly better to use than plastic.

For what?

I lean towards glass and metals whenever I can.

Just about all drink ware other than glass add flavor and odor to beverages. Especially those containing alcohol.

Many plastics and greases are close in molecular structure making some plastics difficult to clean. I avoid plastic measuring devices though my best measuring cups (1/3 to 1 cup) are plastic.

Last edited:
My first choice will always be glass, given the option. Dark glass is better than clear glass.

I use glass or metal for "wet" things, bread dough, cake mixes, sauces, etc.

I use my plastic measuring cups only for dry measure. I use glass for liquid meassure.

It does seel like greasy things, and things like tomato sauce and raspberries, wines, cherries, etc, can be harder to clean out of plastic.

ITK, About your brewery experience, why would draft beer, which comes in a metal keg, be better than beer that comes in a metal can? Personally, I think there's a difference, too, but I don't understand why....

ITK, About your brewery experience, why would draft beer, which comes in a metal keg, be better than beer that comes in a metal can? Personally, I think there's a difference, too, but I don't understand why....

I think that the kegs are stainless steel. I have a good frined that works in a can plant. The cans are aluminum and they are coated with something, I think plastic. That could account for the difference.

Maybe..... but I don't think so. I used to be a tin knocker and kegs sure look like aluminum. And they don't seem heavy enough to be SS when empty.

OK - I just aclled my friend that made cans for 35 years. Cans are cleaned and etched, to make the decorations stick. The inside of the can is sprayed with a laquer to prevent metal exposure. So therefore the soada, beer, whatever, never touches the metzal co the can.

This link, would have us believe that they are stainslee. Beer barrels and kegs

I would think that kegs get rough handling, which aluminum would not take. Whatever they are made of, I believe there is liquid to metal contact insode the kwg, which would make it different from the can.

HTN

AC

Regardless

No matter what beer is put in, doesn't this upset you to know how much plastic we use EVERYday that affects us? Even the water bottles we use when we exercise are plastic. I do buy my milk in bottles but everything else is mostly plastic. It may be more convenient but what does this do to our bodies? My dinner plates aren't plastic, knives and forks but everything else is plastic. Isn't this tupperware some kind of plastic also? well, this ruins my day. Try to maintain your health and only adding to something that could cause trouble after period of time. We already have been told that the local water here used for drinking carries all kind of medicine in it. Of course, the water company tries to deny this. Well, can't live in a bubble would probably be plastic too.

I have several "professional" storage containers from a "restaraunt store". Food leaves no trace on them, not even tomato sauce. They seal well, go through the dishwasher holding their shape etc. Stackable, qt and liter measures on the side! Good stuff Worth the money. Cheap store containers...after a couple uses toss em.

I have real issues with drinks. Do not like plastic or foam or paper. Glass for most things, white glaze for tea please in cups and mugs, and always a smooth glaze. (I keep coffee and tea mugs separate...I can tell from the taste and or smell.)

Plastic is way over used for packageing and makes for some gross kitchen equipmemnt too ( I hate plastic but I do use plastuc containers to bring my lunch to work) It is so hard to avoid though and they wont even take it with recycling where I live.

No matter what beer is put in, doesn't this upset you to know how much plastic we use EVERYday that affects us? Even the water bottles we use when we exercise are plastic.

I make it a point not to exercise for just that reason.
Just trying to do my part :wacko:

Edited to add..... son of a gun. I guess kegs are SS :)

I just read in the morning paper that glass is supposedly better to use than plastic. Plastic is too porous. Since the people who wrote are both reputable doctors I am taking their word for it. Anyone have opinions about this? Working at the brewery they always said that cans had definite affect on the beer and that glass or draft was the best when drinking beer. Guess they were right about cans but I don't think they were using much plastic when I worked there. Just curious about your thoughts. Thanks for your time.

I never let one article, regardless of whether it's written by "reputable" doctors, influence me unduly because I know the chances are high that the next day I'll read the opposite, also written by "reputable" doctors.

I'd suggest doing some research (using unbiased, credible sources) into the different types of plastic to see which might pose a potential health hazard and which have, so far, not been implicated. I think you'll find that the polycarbonates (hard plastic -- baby bottles, some containers, etc.) are on the watch list, while the polypropylenes are considered safe. The plastic containers that I use for storage are made of polypropylene. I don't microwave in them, mostly because I don't want to risk their staining or deforming. But I don't otherwise worry about using them.

Now, who knows what future research will reveal? We may find out that that many things we use today are toxic. I just refuse to jump on yet another one of the media- and Internet-driven hysteria bandwagons, often based on scant or cherry-picked "facts," that are so popular today.

Great post, suzyQ3. The fact is, people in the developed world are healthier and living longer than people have ever done before. No, life is not perfect and there are things to watch out for, but try not to overreact to a single report. I don't microwave in plastic, but I have no problem storing food in the fridge in it.

I think a bigger concern should be overeating, leading to higher rates of obesity, heart disease and diabetes, especially among children.

I have several "professional" storage containers from a "restaraunt store". Food leaves no trace on them, not even tomato sauce. They seal well, go through the dishwasher holding their shape etc. Stackable, qt and liter measures on the side! Good stuff Worth the money. Cheap store containers...after a couple uses toss em.

I have real issues with drinks. Do not like plastic or foam or paper. Glass for most things, white glaze for tea please in cups and mugs, and always a smooth glaze. (I keep coffee and tea mugs separate...I can tell from the taste and or smell.)

Boy, are you wise! Should have talked to you before I read in the paper. You aren't letting something into your system that could ultimately harm you. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I am with you about tossing them. Just so many. Am I safe to recycle them? don't they just use to make more of them when you recycle the plastic? this is common practice of ours but sure would throw away if that is the case. Call me ignorant if you will but also not afraid to admit that I would like to know. Thanks

What do you think it does to your body?

Water bottles, baby bottles, and the lining of metal cans often contain bisphenol A found in polycarbonate plastics. Also may be marked with the recycling do "7". This compound mimics estrogen. I am only asking for others opinions on this fact. To me personally, I truly am going to try to use less plastic if I can.

Boy, are you wise! Should have talked to you before I read in the paper. You aren't letting something into your system that could ultimately harm you. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I am with you about tossing them. Just so many. Am I safe to recycle them? don't they just use to make more of them when you recycle the plastic? this is common practice of ours but sure would throw away if that is the case. Call me ignorant if you will but also not afraid to admit that I would like to know. Thanks

I don't understand? Are you concerned that if your cheap plastic containers are taken for recycling, they'll be made into new cheap plastic containers?? Frankly, I would suggest that you should be more concerned about the environmental effects of consumerism.

My views on the subject are in alignment with those of SuzyQ3.

Not always. Sometimes it's used in building roads or to make resin stuff like outdoor furniture that looks like wicker, or plastic fencing that looks like wood.

Thankful you know GotGarlic. Then recycling is considered good in your opinion? I was always brought up to try to make use of things I own. Since that time, recycling has entered the picture. So I feel in some way I am doing just that.

Frankly, I don't want to start an argument only would like information concerning the plastic I use and then try to recycle. I think what you say GotGarlic recycling does help the environment. This is all my own opinion.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom