"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 02-17-2007, 07:36 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire
hey, where my scout buddy, gw, to back me up on this?

again, i respectfully disagree stirblue. there are lots of resources and even training courses and seminars to ready scout leaders. the threat of child abuse and associated lawsuits alone is reason enough to have training for scoutmasters.
check this out: Boy Scout Leader Training

what you had was a couple of butthead dads that i wouldn't trust to watch the kids in their own houses, let alone in the wilderness. i wouldn't really call it an indictment of the scouting program.

i have taken lots of friends, greenhorns through and through, from the city on their first camping trip. lol, sort of as the scout leader. if you think little kids can get into trouble, just watch what a bunch of drunken idiot friends of mine can do.

they're at their worst when camping in fair weather, but they sure do listen to me on the winter trips. funny how the threat of freezing your butt off helps to open the ears.

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 05:06 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire
This thread kinda warped into the goods and bads of scouting (which I don't mind, btw,), but I'm on the bucky side of this discourse, Stir.

HH was a Scout leader for years. Whenever I'm frustrated with the shenanigins of our teen daughter he reminds me of the boys he used to take on overnight camping trips who "forgot" their sleeping bags. He would end up sleeping with a piece of plastic sheeting because he had to foresight to bring at least several sleeping bags for these moron kids. And what moron parent would let their kid leave the house without one?

Sorry, but you struck the wrong nerve on this one.

Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 05:36 PM   #23
DC's Angel
Let me add my endorsement to what Bucky and Mud have said. Boy Scouting was one of the best influences in my early years. All the leaders were intelligent, well trained, caring, demanding and ruthless. I can't say enough good about my Scoutmaster. He and my parents hounded me to achieve Eagle and I've never stopped thanking them. Scouting is worth its weight in gold!
If we weren't meant to eat animals, then why are they made of meat?
Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 03:00 PM   #24
Master Chef
Back to the original topic. I have never understood those folks that drive down the road with 2 feet of snow on their car or just a little hole cleared on the windshield. Locally, a few years ago one of the school buses did not clean off the snow on the bus and it unloaded on a passing car causing it to wreck and killing the occupants. It is illegal in California to drive with snow on top of your vehicle because of that type of accident.

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote