"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-16-2007, 05:39 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Please Clear The Snow/Ice

Drove by some poor schlub on the side of the interstate this afternoon whose windshield was absolutely shattered.

Big chunks of frozen sleet lying all about.

Cop, lights flashing, in attendance.

Conclusion - some moron forgot/didn't know better/was too lazy to clear the frozen stuff from off the top of his vehicle. Melted slightly and flew off, battering the snot out of the windshield of the poor guy behind him in the lane.

Some of these chunks are as big and lethal as boulders.

Please practice proper vehicle grooming before venturing out on the roadways.

Old 02-16-2007, 05:42 PM   #2
Head Chef

Thank you for sharing the story - people do not think when they are driving especially in the snow.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 05:57 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Here, Here! Same thing "almost" happened to me today. A dump truck with an open bed full of stuff had ice and snow flying off the bed, and he had a cover but didnt use it. And,no offense to SUV, van, etc users, but I hardly ever see those roofs cleaned off, and I can see why, how the heck are you suppose to get up on there?? Need a ladder I think. My roof is easily accessible and I always clean it and the entire car off before venturing out.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:04 PM   #4
Master Chef

Boy, I agree with you. And another thing they should do is clear the ice and snow off of their windows, front, back and sides.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:06 PM   #5
Head Chef

Our most dangerous accidents have been caused by people who do not secure their pets in their vehicle. While it may be fun to see a dog catching the wind out the window, the dog will often roam from one window to another chasing cars! Sooner or later, the dog is in the driver's seat wedged between the wheel and the driver, or chasing a food wrapper under the gas pedal.

While snow is a seasonal condition, the unsecured pets are an ongoing daily occurrence. If you cannot put them in an animal carrier, it would be wise to invest in a vehicle harness.

By the way, we clear the snow off our vehicles because when the vehicle gets warm, the snow melts into the doors, trunk and hood openings and freezes. You may start off okay, just might be froze in when you want to get out!
Old 02-16-2007, 07:43 PM   #6
Sous Chef

I see a lot of snow piled on the top of vehicles, flying off on the highways. Most of the big chunks, however, seem to fly off of semi trucks. I'm not sure how they would be able to clear it off of those high trailers. I have enough trouble with my extendable snow brush on the top of my SUV, but I do make an attempt to brush it all off. It's garage-kept at night, so the only time it's out in the elements is during the day at work.

BC
Old 02-16-2007, 08:03 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCat
I see a lot of snow piled on the top of vehicles, flying off on the highways. Most of the big chunks, however, seem to fly off of semi trucks. I'm not sure how they would be able to clear it off of those high trailers. I have enough trouble with my extendable snow brush on the top of my SUV, but I do make an attempt to brush it all off. It's garage-kept at night, so the only time it's out in the elements is during the day at work.

BC
I believe you BlueCat because otherwise it would be melting all over your garage floor. Most people only recognize the older model SUV's that would not fit in your garage anyway.
During heavy snow days, we brush the snow off with a kitchen broom to avoid scratches. If it looks like the snow is not going to let up, we lay the broom on the floor behind the driver's seat.
There is nothing more ridiculous than to see a little car on a snow day that looks like a Hostess Snowball Cupcake!
Old 02-16-2007, 08:06 PM   #8
Executive Chef

At some point, I hope it becomes a law that cars must be cleaned at least 90 percent before they can be taken on the road. A law was passed in Philly last year because a woman was killed as a result of projectile snow/ice bricks.

It's not about forgetfulness...it's sloth. I used to drive a jeep (back before I realized how horrible they are on the environment and what guzzlers they are)..and I always used a broom to take the snow off the top of the roof.

I see it happening all the time....you're riding behind someone that still has snow/ice caked on top of the roof, on the trunk and even on the hood, and they're just tooling along the highway. Suddenly, a sheet goes flying off, caught in the wind like a leaden handkercheif. Obliviously, they canter along, leaving everything from a slippery road to death in their wake.

With all seriousness, I say, there oughta be a law.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:06 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Snow????? Ice?????? Sleet?????? What is that stuff, never seen it
Old 02-16-2007, 08:07 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Here, Here! Same thing "almost" happened to me today. A dump truck with an open bed full of stuff had ice and snow flying off the bed, and he had a cover but didnt use it. And,no offense to SUV, van, etc users, but I hardly ever see those roofs cleaned off, and I can see why, how the heck are you suppose to get up on there?? Need a ladder I think. My roof is easily accessible and I always clean it and the entire car off before venturing out.
A push broom works just fine...ladder not necessary. I used to drive a jeep and that was what I used.