Please Help Me Identify This Photo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

citysorrowful

Assistant Cook
I'm involved in an annual trivia contest held in St. Cloud, MN and sponsored by the local college. It's comprised of about 80 teams from a multi-state area and runs for 50 hours straight from 5:00 P.M. on Friday 'til 7:00 on Sunday in Feb. Teams range in size from about 15 to about 45 people. There are 9 questions an hour spaced out and ranging in point size based on degree of difficulty. The photo comes from a visual trivia packet that includes 17 different clues that we are given in advance to search out. Our team has been participating in this competition for 8 years now, with friends traveling home from as far as California to participate. It's quite a zoo, and quite exhausting, but we love it and only play for placement and the challenge.
The only clue for this drawing was the picture itself. The other 16 clues are all separate trivia items ranging from Dr. Who to Michael Dell of Dell computers.
One of the visual trivia clues that was given to us is a stack of what appears to be different kinds of cheeses. The photo is not very high wuality, and our guess is we will need to identify all of the types of cheeses presented here, or possibly what cookbook this photo was taken from. The clues are never easy, but the thrill of finding the answers is great.
Hopefully, because of the obscurity of this item, the point value on this question will be large.
Would you folks kindly lend us a hand with any knowledge you might be able to impart? We are in desperate need of assistance, as several of us have spent many hours looking through different cookbooks at libraries and bookstores, thus far to no avail.

Any assistance you could provide would be greatly appreciated!
v12.jpg

Sadly, no. All we get are some bad photocopies of the original pictures. They really do their best to amke it difficult. :wacko:

Are you sure they are cheeses?

I am a cheese nut and those don't look like cheese to me .....

The texture and striations look wrong.

Looks like a rice crispy treat at upper right

3 looks like a green scouring pad

4 and 6 look like insulation

9 looks like microbes

CHEESES would probably have holes, rinds or other cheesy marks like this stack of cheese

Last edited:
Hmmm.....you could be right. The only thing we have to work with is the photo. I'll have to mention your idea to the team and see what we can come up with. Thanks for all the help, and keep the ideas coming!!! :)

I am also not sure those are cheeses and would start to take another take.

I somehow have an idea that crumbly stuff at the bottom is a clue, but heck if I know what it is.

Yea, we have no idea either. That's what makes the contest so challenging, frustrating, and fun.

here's my take on it -
9 could be insulation
7 could be a side view of some dense, dark country bread
6 could be a sleeve o' crackers
5 could be a sponge or slab o' spam

doubt this helps

Just a question.

Do you have to identify each of the pieces or is it just a theme we have to figure out?

Keep looking at the picture, and the stuff coming off the edge of the next to bottom piece bothers me. But I have no idea.

Thank you everyone for your help and wishes of good luck. Every little bit helps, and the consensus that this isn't cheese is a huge step forward. I just wish I would have seen it before I spent three hours looking at cookbooks.
:-p

Auntdot,

Our guess is that we're going to have to identify each of the objects, but the trickiest part of these pictures, is we don't know what the question will be, just that a question will be asked about this photo. It can make you go crazy.

Looks to me like something was dropped, cause stuff at near the bottom seems to be falling off.

But I have no idea, and it may or not be food, but I kinda doubt it.

In any event if I get any ideas will post them, but I have certainly been bested.

I am going to post this before I read any of the other replies to give you an honest first impression.

#2 Looks like Italian Marble to me
#7 looks like Sphagmum Peat Moss
#8 Looks like Limestone
#9 looks like cellulose insulation (the kinds that's blown in).

#4 and #6 appear to be the same thing (#4 looks like Fiberglass Insulation) but look closer at the righthand-lower area of #6, a layer of it is peeling away. It looks like paper or cheesecloth.

I've run it through every image filter I have and I can't get the picture any clearer. :(

~ Raven ~

To me, it looks like what happens when different woods (or substandard immitations) are soaked in water. Like maybe a commercial for woods/particle boards that have different sealants on them. Like an ad for "Thompson's Water Seal" saying how much better their product holds up to the elements, while their competitors do not.
How about that for throwing in a monkey wrench?

Number 5- I think is a "BRICK" of Cheese
Number 7- I am voting as a "DEAD SMASHED CHIA PET" so I am going to say "HEAD CHEESE" !!!!!!!!!!!
I AM SORRY I HAVE No Idea !!!!!!!!
Good Luck and Please Post what they really are !

Last edited:
So far all I really notice is that numbers 1 and 9 are (somewhat) similar, 2 and 8 are similar, 3 and 7 are similar, 4 and 6 are similar, and number 5 is one-of-a-kind. Also, the top ones are smaller than the ones at the bottom that they are similar to. This is going to drive me nuts! I hope you will tell us the answer when it is all over!

:) Barbara

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom