Please help me with a stray cat dilemma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeninga75

Sous Chef
For the past 4 or 5 months I've been taking care of a stray cat. She was sick and emaciated when she 1st started coming around. She was completely feral and it took a few weeks for her to allow me to pet her. At this point I can pick her up and she adores Aspen, my Akita. They play all the time.

I say "her" now, but at the time I didn't know what she was until she recently went into heat. As soon as I realized this I called a local spay and neuter clinic. They will spay her this Friday and give her a rabies shot.

Here's my dilema. They are very busy and the first time they could take her was this Friday which is about a week and a half since I noticed her in heat. After this amount of time, there is a possibility she may be pregnant as there are plenty of strays around which I'm sure some are males. The clinic said they would spay her if she was pregnant but it would cost more. Let me say first off cost is not an issue.

If you were me, and you had to make the choice to spay with a litter, would you? I'm torn between life and reality. I can't bring her and a litter in because of my own cat (they have met on accident and it was not pretty). She stays in my shed with blankets, but it's still going below freezing at nights and I don't think newborn kittens would be ok in that. Then, if they survived, what would I do with them? Do you see where I'm going with this?

Please let me know what you all think. If you would rather PM me that's fine too. I'm torn right now. Hopefully they will find that she isn't pregnant at all.

It is definitely a hard choice to make - since you are asking about this I think the choice is hard for you and if you could take both her and the kitties you would do so - but since you can't there may be another option - you can go to a local ASPCA or online to find a foster parent to take care of her and her litter until they are old enough to be adopted out. I hope she is not pregnant so you do not have to make this hard decision. Then you could have her spade and keep just her.

I must tell you, first off, that just because the two cats did not see eye to eye on their first meeting does not mean they will not get along in the future. Your cat needs to assert his/her dominance in your home. The outside cat must make it known that she will not be trampled on. They can work that out, usually. As for the other matter, I am ambivalent. Could I put the kittens to death once I'd seen them? No. In this situation, I think I could go with the neutering. JMO.

I must tell you, first off, that just because the two cats did not see eye to eye on their first meeting does not mean they will not get along in the future. Your cat needs to assert his/her dominance in your home. The outside cat must make it known that she will not be trampled on. They can work that out, usually. As for the other matter, I am ambivalent. Could I put the kittens to death once I'd seen them? No. In this situation, I think I could go with the neutering. JMO.

Well, there is one thing I didn't mention. The stray, her name is Ebony, ever since I've started taking care of her, has has a raspy, congested cough. It's improved since she has been getting regular care, but Im afraid she might transmit something to my cat. I'm also afraid that being feral she wouldn't know how to use a litterbox.

Well, there is one thing I didn't mention. The stray, her name is Ebony, ever since I've started taking care of her, has has a raspy, congested cough. It's improved since she has been getting regular care, but Im afraid she might transmit something to my cat. I'm also afraid that being feral she wouldn't know how to use a litterbox.

You can have the vet check out any issues with the cough, etc. If she's not contagious, and she bonds in some way with your cat, she'll learn the litter box routine. In my experience, all cats prefer a dirt-like place to do their business.

I would say go ahead and have her spayed, even if she is pregnant.
There are way too many kittens out there already that won't get a home.
Might not be the happy choice, but it is the best choice. (IMHO)

As for the two cats, give them plenty of time. Be sure to let your already
cat know that the new cat is a friend and a family member. Cats are territorial,
so letting it know that you are adding to the pride will help the process along.

Is there a compromise here? - I think it unfair to bring them together for a number of reasons -Do you have a garage or basement that you could keep the new kitty in? This would allow shelter without causing physical or mental well being to either cat. You could also post a free ad about the stray on Craigs list for free - there may be someone who would take her in and give her a home and then you would not have to worry about her and the possibility of kittens. I can help you with site info if you need it.

Jeninga, I have yet to meet a cat who doesn't know how to use a litter box. If they DON'T use it, thats a deliberate choice. We've had strays come a wandering in the house and find the box and use it. They KNOW. So, no worries on that score.

I understand your dilemma. I'd have a tough time with that one myself. I think you need to do a couple of things. One is take her in no matter what, she needs to see the vet. Second is decide what is the greater good. Thats the tough piece. Is it better to spay her and possibly end the lives of a few kittens or is it better to allow the litter to be born and let nature take its course however that might turn out.

I believe I would take her in to the vet and if they discovered her to be pregnant I would ask them to help me find a place for the kittens when they are born. I'd find a place for her somewhere in the house and keep my cat separate if I had to. It will be hard no matter which way you go. Hang in there and know that no matter what you do, you are doing it for love and kindness.

I would have her spayed. I don't want to seem harsh, but the shelters I have been to are over crowded (sp) with cats and kittens looking for homes. Do what you have to do, you'll know in your heart what's right for yoy.

I agree with Grilling Foold and Loprraine, I would get her spayed no matter what. Hopefully, she is not pregnant, but if she is pregnant and someday those kittens are outside running loose, becoming feral like their momma, just think of all of the kittens the kittens will have. It is mind boggling how many kittens one cat can have. I think the best thing is to spay.

And I agree with the other posters that your indoor cat and the outside cat can get along, but it may take some time.

Good luck and keep us posted. You are a good person for helping a stray in distress.

I agree with Loprraine,Grilling fool,Toots, we live in the country and I can't even begin to count the number of cats,kittens,puppies that have been dumped here. All the cats we've kept have been taken to our vet who takes care of them for free. We did have one pretty black cat someone dumped and we tried through 7 litters to tame her, to catch her..Nothing doing..We did manage to find the babies and had the vet take care of them when they got old enough..Mommie finally wore her self out and a dog got her...We've found homes for all the kittens but it wasn't easy..If we had this happen now and we could catch mommy the vet would get her and take care of the problem right now.I know it sound awful, but I cannot give kittens away to someone I done know..so to save those babies from harm..Well you know
kadesma

Last edited:
Thank you all for your replies.

I would like to take her to my regular vet and maybe I will someday, but I'm already dipping into savings for the spay and rabies shot. Once this is all settled I don't plan on bringing her inside, that was just a thought if I were forced to deal with her having a litter. I live in a townhouse so I have no basement or garage, just the little shed that's maybe 3x5 feet. I prop the door open so the wind doesn't blow it shut with her in there.

I feel better that a lot of you are in agreement to spay. I think it is the best option in the long run. I'll keep you all posted, I'll throw a picture of her up here later so you can see what she looks like.

I'd spay either way. If you'd rather not know, take her to a spay and niter clinic, pay the higher price and insist that they not tell you whether she was pregnant. Consider the excess payment a donation to a very worthy cause.

The last thing you need is another batch of feral cats, starving to death, killing birds and spreading disease in your neighborhood.

Since money isn't the issue, I'd say spay, spay, spay. It does cost more because she'll need .... well, we hate the word, but a kittie abortion. But unless you want the kittens yourself, or know of a friend who will take them in, please spay.

I'd spay either way. If you'd rather not know, take her to a spay and niter clinic, pay the higher price and insist that they not tell you whether she was pregnant. Consider the excess payment a donation to a very worthy cause.

The last thing you need is another batch of feral cats, starving to death, killing birds and spreading disease in your neighborhood.

That's actually a very good idea. I think I might do that. They definitly need the donations. This is the shelter (they're also a no-kill shelter) by the way, that I got Cricket from. They're good people.

Just thought I'd give a quick update.

Brought her in this morning only to recieve a call 15 minutes later to let me know that not only is Ebony a male, but he's already neutered....

Only me...

And that is how my pretty little sweatpea became peese a quick look by the vet, second time around, oh dear!!!:ohmy:
kadesma

What a hoot! But I have known vets to screw up in sexing a kitten (how do you think Thomas became Thomasina?), but a neutered male at that? TOO FUNNY!

That is hilarious - and here we were giving you all kinds of advice about what to do about the little mama kittie.

Is your indoor cat a female? The chances of male/female cats getting along is pretty good. when I married my husband, we each had 12 year old male cats, they NEVER got along. We had to keep them separated for years.

At least Ebony is a unisex name!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom