Please ID this kitchen object

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I sent Sterite an email. Unfortunately their connection did not allow for a photo. I tried to describe it as best I could. None of their current products show anything similiar.

I don't believe it is a cutting board, else why is the flat part angled away from the strainer? As in it is higher near the strainer and sloping away from it.

I's been a couple of days and I have not heard back from them.

RE: Sterilite.com E-Mail Inquiry 0676
Irene Vega <ivega@sterilite.com>
Today, 11:34 AM

Dear Gwen,

Thank you for contacting Sterilite. I believe the item you are referring to is item 676 - Rinse and Drain Tray. This was a one-piece colander and drain board for over sink use. This item was found in our 1979-1980 catalog. I attached an image, is this the item you are referring to?

Attachments

• Item 676 what is DC.PNG
    Item 676 what is DC.PNG
    73 KB · Views: 101

Dear Gwen,

Thank you for contacting Sterilite. I believe the item you are referring to is item 676 - Rinse and Drain Tray. This was a one-piece colander and drain board for over sink use. This item was found in our 1979-1980 catalog. I attached an image, is this the item you are referring to?

Well done... :)

Ross

I asked by return e-mail why the drain board was raised going away from the colander. Waiting a reply. Could it be an optical illusion? I did send a copy of the picture from here.

I sent Sterite an email. Unfortunately their connection did not allow for a photo. I tried to describe it as best I could. None of their current products show anything similiar.

I don't believe it is a cutting board, else why is the flat part angled away from the strainer? As in it is higher near the strainer and sloping away from it.

I's been a couple of days and I have not heard back from them.
Yeah, that is often a problem. Sometimes you can past a link to a picture.

:whistling
Why would it blunt knives?

Interesting—same situation as mine. :)

It does, thanks. But I'm wondering—how come nobody makes these things anymore?
Question one - It was hard plastic - blunted sharp knives then as many surfaces (except wood) do today. And unhygienic because the knife cut into the plastic making a haven for germs.

Question two - gimmick-y sort of thing you buy when at exhibitions
and carried away by the excitement of it all. When Mum's was bought plastic was the new "in" thing that every modern housewife wanted. We all have our guilty secrets lurking at the back of a dark cupboard and I'm not telling you what mine is :whistling

Last edited:
I asked by return e-mail why the drain board was raised going away from the colander. Waiting a reply. Could it be an optical illusion? I did send a copy of the picture from here.
As I said, the straining section sat over the sink while the flat bit sat on the draining board (in the days of sinks with integrated draining boards).

As I said, the straining section sat over the sink while the flat bit sat on the draining board (in the days of sinks with integrated draining boards).

True Mad Cook, but I still question the fact that the flat bit is actually angled away from the colander.

Although I doubt even Sterilite will have an answer for us, you never know! I've asked and all we can do is wait to see what they say.

Dear Gwen,

Thanks, dragnlaw, for checking into this. Very impressive. And the time frame fits exactly.

Last edited:
I asked by return e-mail why the drain board was raised going away from the colander. Waiting a reply. Could it be an optical illusion?
It's real—no illusion. ;)

I'm still a bit confused, though. What exactly is the "drain board" supposed to be used for? :)

It's real—no illusion. ;)

I'm still a bit confused, though. What exactly is the "drain board" supposed to be used for? [emoji2]
It's designed to be used with a sink like this. You would cut foods on the solid side with it on the drain board. The perforated side would go over the sink, so you could rinse cut vegetables and put peels, etc., in it. Any juices would flow down the solid side, out of the way.
double-bowl-drainboard-sink.jpg

Last edited:
It's designed to be used with a sink like this. You would cut foods on the solid side with it on the drain board. The perforated side would go over the sink, so you could rinse cut vegetables and put peels, etc., in it. Any juices would flow down the solid side, out of the way.

Thanks—hadn't seen a sink like that before. So that end of the device is used for cutting then.

On second thought, it's probably not a cutting board. If you were rinsing foods over the colander, you could put them down on the drain board side and excess water would flow down the gutter on the sides and into the sink.

On second thought, it's probably not a cutting board. If you were rinsing foods over the colander, you could put them down on the drain board side and excess water would flow down the gutter on the sides and into the sink.

That's certainly possible as well. But then isn't the drain board kind of redundant?

This makes sense as the draining board sits slightly lower. When placed on these types of sinks the 'slanted' cutting board will become level.

That's certainly possible as well. But then isn't the drain board kind of redundant?
I'm sure that many people felt it was easier to get the gadget properly washed and clean for the vegis than to get the drain board that was attached to the sink clean enough.

Back
Top Bottom