Please ID this kitchen object

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neptune

Cook
I was going through some of my mother's old things in a kitchen cabinet. Here's an object that I have no idea about. Unfortunately, she is no longer around for me to ask her what it is. The brand name on the back is "Sterilite."

Does anybody have any idea what this is? Or is it even used in the kitchen? Thanks for any info.

Attachments

• IMG_0031 1.jpg
    IMG_0031 1.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_0030 1.jpg
    IMG_0030 1.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0029 1.jpg
    IMG_0029 1.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 160
I'm not sure the plastic is sturdy enough to be a cutting board.

Maybe it's a spaetzle maker. Not sure. It doesn't look like it was made to sit on top of a pot of boiling water.

That top flat surface is slanted to keep items from rolling into the strainer. I think the strainer is for trash collection.
I don't think it was meant to be used over a sink, but rather over a container that originally came with it. There's just not enough 'lip' on the strainer end to straddle over the sink edge.

Last edited:
That top flat surface is slanted to keep items from rolling into the strainer.

Good point.

I don't think it was meant to be used over a sink, but rather over a container that originally came with it. There's just not enough 'lip' on the strainer end to straddle over the sink edge.

I put it in my kitchen sink, and it does fit. However, it doesn't "lock" into place or anything.

How wide and how long is it?

It's 8 1/2 inches wide and 20 inches long.

The picture seems to show it stretched from arm to arm on an easy chair, correct?
Correct.

Interesting that so far no one seems to know for sure what it is. :yum: Is it even meant to be used in the kitchen, I wonder? Is it part of some other device that has been lost?

Last edited:
I was going through some of my mother's old things in a kitchen cabinet. Here's an object that I have no idea about. Unfortunately, she is no longer around for me to ask her what it is. The brand name on the back is "Sterilite."

Does anybody have any idea what this is? Or is it even used in the kitchen? Thanks for any info.
Combination chopping board and colander/strainer with sits across a small sink. Useless as it blunts knives. Ma was given one for Christmas by a customer eons ago. She used it at the caravan for a few years. I found it at the back of a cupboard when I cleared the kitchen after after she died.

Hope that helps

Combination chopping board and colander/strainer with sits across a small sink. Useless as it blunts knives.

Why would it blunt knives?

Ma was given one for Christmas by a customer eons ago. She used it at the caravan for a few years. I found it at the back of a cupboard when I cleared the kitchen after after she died.

Interesting—same situation as mine. :)

Hope that helps

It does, thanks. But I'm wondering—how come nobody makes these things anymore?

Back
Top Bottom