Please Pray for My "Mom Away from Home"--Update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbara L

Traveling Welcome Wagon
I just found out this morning that a dear friend of mine is in the hospital, and has been in and out of the hospital a few times over the last few weeks. I don't know why.

Maxine just turned 87 or 88 the day after Christmas. I met her when I moved to South Carolina. Her son was the assistant superintendent of schools, and since I needed somewhere to stay and because she had been having some health problems (turned out to be an allergy to antibiotics) he asked if I would consider renting a room from her. I fell instantly in love with Maxine (all 4' 11" of her) and she quickly became what I call my Mom Away from Home (I even send her Mother's Day cards).

Maxine has had a few isolated health problems over the 12 years that I have known her (including being carjacked about 2 years ago--thrown in the back seat of her car, breaking some ribs and terrifying her--they drove to a town about 50 miles away and left her in the car), but overall she has been very healthy.

I'm trying to find out what is wrong with her, and hopefully we can go see her tomorrow. Maxine is family to me (I teased her son that I had been to more family reunions than he had) and I pray she is okay. You would all love her. She loves everyone and is very true to her faith and beliefs. I know she will definitely be greeted at the "Pearly Gates" with, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant." Just not too soon, I hope!

:)Barbara

Last edited:
Of course Barb, she has all I can muster..Keep me up to date and big hugs to you...
kades

img_539380_0_d1768eadde5db23679fbcf2fdebe323c.gif
and for your 'Mum away from home' :)

Thanks! Here is a cute story from when I had first moved here. As I said, Maxine is 4'11". I am 5'2". Someone took our picture together and it looked like I towered over her. I sent my mom a copy of the picture and said it must be the water out here, but I was really growing! :cool: Maxine is not your typical senior citizen in a lot of ways. I always told her she is worse than teenagers when it came to being on the go! She can run rings around me. She will love to hear that she has so many people keeping her in their thoughts and prayers.

Barbara, she sounds a lot like my mom, who left us a year ago (seems like yesterday).
Our prayers are on the way.

Understand

We will never know why things happen the way they do! We only must keep our faith and trust in the One above. Reading your comments sure made me realize what a God fearing person Maxine must be. How you 'considered her as a 'mom' I am sure made her feel so loved. These people that come into our lives sure make our life sweeter. Why can't there be more Maxines in this world?

Barbara be assured she is in my prayers as well as you are. How blessed to have another 'mom' in your life. Keep those memories of her and build on them that you will have more ahead. She would want you to emulate her life as best as you could. When you have an opportunity to be a 'mum' to someone else. I pray that God would be gentle with her and that this is only a short time of not knowing what the trouble is. I am sure thankful you got to know this lady and she you. Be considered blessed. Please keep us informed.

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate all your kind comments.

As it turns out, we weren't able to go visit Maxine today. By the time we were able to go pick up our other car it would have been too late. We are planning on going tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom